[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blowtorch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: blowtorch.jpg (32KB, 694x383px) Image search: [Google]
blowtorch.jpg
32KB, 694x383px
Hey /diy/ i've just recently begun to buy tools of my own and I have had an increasing need to buy a blowtorch, my issue is I have no idea what brands are best or what to look for.

What are the best blowtorch brands and what should I look out for when buying one?
>>
There's really no reason to look beyond the Bernzomatic TS8000. I got one this year and was kicking myself for dealing with a cheapo without a regulator for so long.
>>
>>1170537
yeah get the adjustable one

>one button piezo click ignition so no fucking around with strikers
>adjustable gas
>>
File: TS8000.jpg (28KB, 544x452px) Image search: [Google]
TS8000.jpg
28KB, 544x452px
>>1170537
Came here to say this. TS8000 has a larger flame than most blowtorches which means it will heat up stuff faster saving you time and gas. It can connect to propane or MAP gas bottles (which burn even hotter than propane.) MAP can be used for brazing aluminum so if you don't have access to a TIG welding machine then you can still weld aluminum. For example I have an aluminum jon boat. When a rivet leaks I use my TS8000 with MAP gas to heat the area up to 700 degrees. Then I use an aluminum brazing rod to melt some aluminum around rivet. It's a literal weld once cooled and it never leaks again. TS8000 ftw
>>
>>1170440
Victore with rosebud. $250 kit and adult sized bottles and spare bottles. I torch a lot. Good investment
>>
>>1170626
>Then I use an aluminum brazing rod to melt some aluminum around rivet. It's a literal weld once cooled and it never leaks again.

No, it isn't. It's a brazed joint. A weld is a joint made by joining two different pieces of the same material together without any intermediary joints; that is to say, they are (ideally) indistinguishable from the same shape formed from a single piece of material.

Usually, this is with heat, but, technically, any method that achieves the same result qualifies as welding (solvent welding of plastics and the very-niche cold welding process comes to mind).

Brazed joints use a filler that bonds chemically with the base metal, but melts at a lower temperature. Unlike a weld, the base material never bonds with itself, instead being "glued" in place by the filler.

/pedantry

Anyway...I just use the basic-bitch, cheap Bernzomatic adjustable torch. Don't use it often enough to spend the extra cash for the one with the built-in ignition.
>>
>>1170440
+1 ts8000 shilling. home depot had the torch and mapp kit on sale for like $25 rather than $45 or something during the holidays. should have bought 2 or 3 for the hell of it.
>>
>>1170644
>aluminum brazing rod to melt some aluminum around rivet
>/pedantry

this stuff is more (zinc alloy) soldering than brazing because of the temperature
>>
File: Benzo.jpg (27KB, 384x577px) Image search: [Google]
Benzo.jpg
27KB, 384x577px
>>1170440
Add another + to the T8000 shills. For DIY grade, you can't beat the price, you can find it on sale at lots of places for less. Plus being able to use MAPP+ or propane.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.