[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silicone mold liquid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Oomoo 30.jpg (57KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
Oomoo 30.jpg
57KB, 500x365px
Okay, so I am not at all happy with this stuff. I've bought it twice, and both times the pink component has turned into chewing gum within 6 months. Everything that I can find tells me that the shelf life should be AT LEAST a year. The second one gummed up after 4 months - and this was after I had taken precautions to store it in a cool, dark, etc. area.

What can I use instead of this that isn't too expensive and can reproduce fine (<2mm) details? I don't want a putty since the part is reasonably fragile and the putty wouldn't get in all the crevices.
>>
>>1170279
You're fulla shit; they warn you in the directions that the clock's ticking when you uncork the bottles. A year's being really optimistic with Oomoo; 6 months is realistic. Smooth on does sell trials of mold max, but you need to use a vacuum degasser for that stuff.
>>
>>1170366
Alright, how about the second question then: Is there anything in comparable price and quality that I can use instead? The next-priced things I can find either need vacuum degassers or are 2-3x the cost per weight.
>>
Silicone + cornflour
>>
>>1170279

HOLY SHIT YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

get some alumilite type 2 and call it a day

holy fuckin shit you retard
>>
>>1170743
>HOLY SHIT YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!
Well, yeah, that's why I made a thread, so I can figure this out.

>alumilite type 2
Okay, that's *3x* more expensive per weight than the Oomoo, which, again, defeats the purpose.

>>1170727
Tried this before and just remembered I got damn good detail out of it, will give this a go again. Thanks for reminding me, anon.
>>
File: InstantMold.jpg (27KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
InstantMold.jpg
27KB, 356x500px
>>1170727
Well, just got a reminder why I stopped using that - it's sticky and almost impossible to smooth over the piece, and I haven't been able to make a 2-part mold reliably since it sticks to itself.

Anyone have opinions on InstantMold? Not liquid like I'd have liked, but it's reusable and apparently works great for Warhammer.
>>
>>1170743
Why do people make posts like this?
>>
>>1170279
Silicones and resins in their uncured form have to have their containers aired out with nitrogen blankets to block moisture if you want the full life span.

Well, with many resins you want to do it anyway so you don't get an explosion when you mix them.
>>
A bit off-topic, but could be worth it to check this out. This is about problems with two-component platinum catalyst cured silicone resins. The catalyst gets easily poisoned in the presence of non-compatible chemical exposure and will not cure properly. Even wrong kind of mold wall material may cause this.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/30-1053-01.pdf

I know a guy who works in the electronics industry. One of his responsibilities is the quality of encapsulating silicones for components.

He says that everyone in the business and in charge of this particular process is either hanging from the ceiling with their fingernails, or unnaturally calm.
>>
>>1170279

You could try throwing it in the freezer. If it crystallized put it in a warm water bath and stir till it's smooth again.

Regardless of oxygen there's not going to be many chemical reactions at -18c.
>>
>>1171037
I assume you mean if I ever buy another fresh one? I can't imagine the freezer doing much good now, but I guess it's worth a try so I can at least chip it out and measure before mixing. The pink goo is impossible to dole out since it's so sticky.
>>
>>1170886
Sounds like it's probably polycapralactone. There are cheaper ways to buy the same stuff, but it depends on the detail level you want, it could work.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.