[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pitch conversion (0.05" to 0.1")

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I bought a temperature/humidity sensor (SHT75) for a project I am working on, but I didn't read the data sheet carefully enough, as I thought that the pitch was 0.100", however in reality it was half of that.

I thought of bending every second one in a different direction and using two standard headers, but the pins are too flat and won't stay in. I could just solder some wire to the pins, but according to the data sheet soldering is not a good idea.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to reliably make a (DYI) connection to this thing?
>>
>>1170254
Soldering should be fine if you're not using lead-free solder and the prerequisite higher temperature. If you're quick with some flux-core leaded solder, you'll leave a clean joint without heating the board up too much, which doesn't look like it will be a problem anyway by the looks of the board. If you're still worried and/or the board has some sensitive-looking components on the underside, I'd look for an extension lead or something that you can cut one end off and solder on to. On the other hand, if you think it's warning you not to solder because it will mess with the (analogue?) signal, then I'd scour the net for an adapter.
>>
>>1170260
Thanks for the answer. The data sheet says that "For maintain high accuracy specifications the sensor shall not be soldered", but also goes on to say to treat it in a humid environment if soldering is used, so I'm not sure of the exact effects of the heat. I need to measure very low humidity levels, so I didn't want to risk lowering the accuracy.

Maybe I will try to do as you suggested, and solder an extension lead to it.
>>
>>1170281
My suggestion was to plug the sensor board's pins into a socket of some sort of extension lead, and solder that into the main board, not the other way around. But seriously, the pins on the board itself are soldered in the first place, and I bet you can get a colder joint with leaded solder and a quick hand than a wave/reflow automated soldering station could do with 95% tin, those traces will barely transmit heat.
>>
>>1170281
Clamp the pins with pliers or something to suck the soldering heat away.
>>
>>1170325
This is a good idea. Makes me want to put copper jaws on my woodwork vice that I own instead of helping hands, or make copper pliers.
>>
>>1170254
you know those IDE type ribbon cables? those have a pitch of .05, I hope you're smart enough to use this information.
>>
>>1170254
The molex 'pico spox' connectors have a pitch of about 0.05". If you had one of the 4 pin wire connectors with wires coming out, you could plug your sensor directly in to it.

The crimp tool is pretty expensive for just one connector though. I'd mail you an assembled plug if you posted your address.
>>
>>1170371
I use a set of flat hemostats.You can also use small alligator clips. Just need enough mass to keep the heat away from fragile components.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.