[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you have any tools that you would consider to be "quality"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 15

File: THIEF 1981.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
THIEF 1981.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
Do you have any tools that you would consider to be "quality" ?

Show them off here!
>>
>>1170094
Have s-k screwdrivers and like 5k of fucking craftsman i mean stanley shit now
>>
/diy/ is about projects, not products.
If your pride is in your tools, you're doing it wrong
>>
>>1170496
>/diy/ doesn't like my brand of choice so I'm gonna whine about it
>>
>>1170508
>brands
>>>/g/ might be more your speed, brand babby
>>
Most of /diy/ shops at chinese freight for their tools. This is going to be a very hostile thread, op.
>>
>>1170520
>Most of /diy/ shops at chinese freight for their tools.

craigslist and garage sales actually. harbor freight is just to fill in the gaps or for shit you only use once. that being said, HF has some gems in its line up.

>air compressor
>predator engines
>some of their sockets
>tool carts

to name a few.
>>
>>1170511
do you know a lot about /g/?
Is this why you are great at ahitposting people's threads instead of contributing?
Throw in some tribalism about "shills" and derail the thread further.
Thanks for continuing the downwaed spiral of the board.
Too bad you haven't been here long enough to see it.
>>
Anyone here use a hollow chisel mortiser? Don't particularly have good chisel technique and was thinking about getting one to ease joinery. Anyone use one regularly? Get a delta?
>>
>>1170520
We just don't like stealth marketing.
>- Share your results! /diy/ loves to see problems solved and projects completed!
>>
File: 20161027_143324.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161027_143324.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1170094
I've always felt like old tools were made to higher standards.
>>
>>1170520
If you buy any other tool brand, or mention any other store you bought it at you'll have crusaders like >>1170496 whining about you about shilling.
On one hand he says he wants more pirjects and diy stuff.

On the other hand seeks out threads about tools like a hall monitor to be a bitch in.
>>
File: kek.jpg (7KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
7KB, 180x240px
>>1170528
The whole board, and mechanics/doit yourselfers/people in the trades have always loved to talk about tools. This isnt new
The only thing new is a select vocal minority like you getting mad whenever someone mentions a tool name.

>i literally think that dewalt paid people to shitpost on 4chan
>in my quest to stop this, im going to shitpost in every tool thread.

Its baffling, and your reddit tier waynes world pics you love to post are awful
>>
File: 1322810827460.jpg (112KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1322810827460.jpg
112KB, 1000x1400px
>>1170526
>do you know a lot about /g/?
I like technology and programming, don't really care for /g/ - consumer electronics
>Thanks for continuing the downwaed spiral of the board.
Consumerism is the downward spiral. /diy/ is about saving money, making something better, or making something unavailable. /diy/ is about creativity. /diy/ is not about "what X should I buy", gluing some popsicle sticks together would be a better thread.
>Too bad you haven't been here long enough to see it.
I've been here since near the creation of /diy/. Here's a pic from 2011

If you want to know about tool quality, read some fucking reviews.
Tools won't make you a craftsman
>>
File: 1493658139524-169666013.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1493658139524-169666013.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1170540
Post some fucking quality tools, bitch. This one was made in Athol, asshole.
>>
File: 14936585276831111754572.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
14936585276831111754572.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1170540
A craftsman that can't appreciate quality tools is no craftsman at all.
>>
File: Quality tool.jpg (9KB, 280x222px) Image search: [Google]
Quality tool.jpg
9KB, 280x222px
>>1170543
Did that quality tool teach you how to not "crush around" while measuring the diameter of a carbide cutting tool?
>>
>>1170529
+1 to that, they always have a nicer feel in the hand, and the knowlege of them having history is pretty cool
>>
File: 20170421_144147.jpg (941KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170421_144147.jpg
941KB, 2048x1152px
>>1170550
No, I only use it for checking guitar string gauges. You seem to be missing the point here. For example, when I switched from my cheap ass Weller to pic related it made a noticeable difference - faster heat times, better quality tips, and much much better at making connections on things like amp chassis that sink a lot of heat. I could still be using the Weller, but I could also just use my bare hand to wipe my ass.

>hurr durr brain is only important tool
This is not a cringe thread.
>>
>>1170556
>>1170529
To be fair, I think at least some of it is just the romanticism of holding a tool that you know has had history and survived to make its way into your hands.
>>
>>1170550
Isn't it the standard that you tighten it for one or two clicks? so long as you always do the same thing for each measurement
>>
>>1170535
The only time people 'get mad' is when particular tools/brands/shops are being obviously, repeatedly and continually shilled, with no other contribution to the board whatsoever. In practice, this mostly always means that Home Depot/TTI (Milwaukee, etc) cunt, who should have been, IMO, banned long time ago, ignoring him entirely became no longer an option. So stop talking shit, no-one fucking 'goes mad when someone mentions a tool name' - but people will go mad with continued and blatant shilling, and they are entirely justified in doing so. And if you dont like that, then fucking do one, because when one shill gets left in peace, the next thinks its fair game as well. See /biz/ and 'alt coins' rather than /g/, which is how it ends up, if unchecked.
>>
>>1170578
For some things, like carbide cutting tools, it takes a soft touch.
You can easily crush the cutting edge a few tenths of a thousanth with the hard jaws of a mic.
"Tightening" will give you a wrong reading. The mic should slip on and off with practically no resistance for a good measurement.

"Doing the same thing" might get you an accurate relative size but not an accurate absolute one.

>>1170583
Well said, expecially this:
>when one shill gets left in peace, the next thinks its fair game as well
>>
>>1170094
is red daimond a quality brand? , i have a pair of pliers from them.
What about a royal screwdriver?
a set of S=K wrenches?
>>
>>1170578
The pic up there has no clicks. There are the ratchet type, the friction type, and the type that just depends on good consistent touch from the dude measuring.

I have some decent quality stuff as far as measuring tools. Two Mitutoyo calipers, a couple Starrett depth mikes and vernier 12" calipers, Mitutoyo 5 tenth dial test indicator, and a variety of brands of travel indicators. Most of my other stuff is more on the budget side. HF, Crapsman, Kobalt, etc.
>>
>>1170540
I like talking about tools and looking ay pics of them. They're pretty much diy related. Ya know whatw not? 3 paragraph posts about how the good ol' days were better and crying about threads you don't like. Contrarian faggot. Ever think about just not replying to threads you don't want to contribute to? No. You don't, because you're a retard. You must have a real interesting life.
> here's a pic i saved for over half a decade, from them good old days when the real guys talked about how to glue stuff, not what kind of glue they used
Gimme a break, you make me sick.
>>
File: Prentiss.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Prentiss.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
Anyone else have a vise fetish?
>>
>>1170496
actually... there's nothing wrong with pride in your tools and your work. Especially if you're a blacksmith.
>>
>>1170594
>"Tightening" will give you a wrong reading. The mic should slip on and off with practically no resistance for a good measurement.
Who the fuck taught you to measure?

>>1170543
Don't store your mic closed, you'll crack the carbide from thermal expansion on the steel parts. Keep it open a couple dozen thou.
>>
>>1170529
>>1170556

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

I always think it's funny when I hear people talking about how great old cars were, in particular. Meanwhile, I'm just barely old enough to remember talk about how it was an impressive milestone for a car to make it to 100k miles without needing an engine rebuild or other similarly-major overhaul. Now, the car in question is an absolute pile of garbage if it *doesn't* make it that far.

Old tools technically did last longer on average, but only because the only materials that they could be made out of (mostly steel) were inherently long-lasting. However, they also cost more, relative to the average person's income. The level of bargain-bin tool that's popular today didn't really exist back when, at least not if you actually wanted it to work to even a mediocre capacity.
>>
>>1170529
>that ballpeen
I swear to god that was the exact style I made for my machining degree.
>>
>>1170860
With many old tools, it is not survivor bias. Making the comparison to cars is also weak. What improvement has the bench grinder seen in 60 years (since 1957)? The drill press? The table saw? What about the socket? The screwdriver? The chisel? Basically nothing. They have not made many tools better. They have only made them cheaper. Cars, on the other hand, are loads better than they were. I would take a Craftsman socket made in 1957 and go toe to toe with a Snap-On or a Wright or an S-K from today. A Craftsman socket made today? Fuck no. The chrome is poorer quality and the forgings have thinner walls. They also are made to a lesser tolerance (more slop). They are a fuckton cheaper though.

People forget how much old tools cost. This ad is from 1955. The price of this tool is $227.82 in today's dollars. If you went out and bought a corded drill for $225 today it would probably be the best god damn drill you have ever used. That drill was the best homeowner class drill on the market at the time. Have drills improved? Sure. But basic tools have not. I just dropped $65 dollars on a set of hand shears used for gardening (like the one in >>1170529) and they are excellent. It takes no force at all to cut a 1-inch branch because they are so damn sharp. They replaced a $10 set that the handle broke on while I was cutting. Garbage. They had garbage tools back then too. But the good stuff from any era will always be built to last.

You can still go out and buy an awesome set of, say, chisels for a metric fuckton of money and they will be very high-quality tools. Or you can go out and buy tools that are just as good from back in the day for pennies on the dollar at an estate sale. Or hell, new tools at an estate sale. I don't judge. Quality is quality.

Just saying.
>>
File: vice.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vice.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1170846
oh boy have I got something to show you.

Some kind of sine vise, you loosen the screws and it tilts upward, there's a scale on the side there.

Gonna mount it on the mill sometime soon.
>>
File: vice2.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vice2.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1170846
>>
File: noga and mitutoyo.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
noga and mitutoyo.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1170872
>tfw a new set of 2J collets is $400+

Vid related is $200 total today, a gucci Noga holder and a mitutoyo indicator.
>>
File: tap beautiful.jpg (62KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
tap beautiful.jpg
62KB, 600x375px
>>1170543
>>1170529
nice tools
>>
>>1170872
>What improvement has the bench grinder seen in 60 years?
Better power density of the motor and electronic controls. A low-end modern grinder of a given power will be smaller, lighter, and cheaper than an equivalent old-timey grinder. A high-end grinder like a Baldor will be big but deliver a much nicer grinding experience.

>The drill press?
Same as above, though the practical difference is less.

>The table saw?
Better safety features, similar motor improvements.

>What about the socket?
Minor technical refinements in design, alloys, and production. The most significant upshot is quality at a given price point.

>The screwdriver?
Replaced in many applications by impact drivers and screw guns. Handheld drivers have largely shifted to 1/4" hex sockets with replaceable bits.

Consider that old Back & Decker drill from the ad you posted. A modern bottom-of-the-line corded Black & Decker drill is not much above garbage tier. But it has a larger and far-superior chuck (I actually have that drill, and they really didn't know how to make good keyless chucks back then), more torque and power, variable speed, a torque-limiting clutch, and much better ergonomics, for a similar nominal price. The drill bits and other accessories have also improved dramatically.

Regarding gardening shears, many modern shears use compound leverage to improve cutting performance, which was rare sixty years ago.
>>
>>1170550
>Did that quality tool teach you how to not "crush around" while measuring the diameter of a carbide cutting tool?

why would anyone be using a mic to measure a carbide cutting tool? don't you just slap it in the machine and do a test cut
>>
>>1170957
Speaking as a professional, you use calipers to double check the size if it's not brand new. Then yeah you stick it in and walk it in for cnc work.
>>
>>1170922
>smaller,
How is that an improvement? Is it even an improvement? You don't want the wheels closer together and, having a newer grinder, I can tell you the diameter of the motor isn't any smaller.

>lighter
You plan on carrying it around? Last I checked you want to mount it to the heaviest thing possible to reduce vibration and prevent movement and working.

>cheaper
The one improvement.

>Same as above, though the practical difference is less.
Outside of cheaper none of those things are an improvement. You don't *want* lighter shop tools. And, again, I have older tools and newer tools. They aren't smaller. The price on the *low end* of the market is better.

>Better safety features, similar motor improvements.
Nope. The only safety feature that has come about since forever in table saws is the SawStop. And again, with shop tools, you do not want lighter. It's like saying having a lighter anvil is an improvement. For portable tools, lighter is better. Like I said above some tools have improved but many tools have not.

>Handheld drivers have largely shifted to 1/4" hex sockets with replaceable bits.
Not a new technology. And it has drawbacks. Like when a screw is sunk into a deep depression that has an opening just wider than the screw. You can't get a hex bit in there because of the holder

>Consider that old Back & Decker drill from the ad you posted.
See
>Have drills improved? Sure.
I'm not saying they haven't. I wasn't doing a cost - feature comparison. I was talking about the quality of the tool you are paying for. There are millions of those old drills still floating around. Every time I see one I test it and they almost always still work. When you pay top dollar you get good quality tools regardless of when they were made.

>many modern shears use compound leverage to improve cutting performance,
The shears I am talking about are standard gardening shears. They are just like the other guy's picture but they have rubber handles.
>>
>>1171354
>all this survivor bias
fucking KEK
>>
>>1171354
Being heavier is a pro to almost every stationary tool.

One reason Chinese products suck so much ass is they are light-weight garbage intended to be shipped from China to here as cheaply as possible.

More material used in their construction would enhance some of them greatly.
>>
>>1170873
I just realised what those rails on the small vise that came with my 2nd hand press are for...
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.