[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underground Architecture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: pexels-photo.jpg (2MB, 2560x1707px) Image search: [Google]
pexels-photo.jpg
2MB, 2560x1707px
How feasible would it be to build a city/village 200+ feet underground. Any special considerations, any skills that would be handy?
>>
>>1169836
Very feasible if you have renewable energy to power the ventilation and water supplies, and lighting to grow food
>>
>>1169842
Geothermal energy is a possibility, but i dont know how deep we'd have to dig. Water could come from aquifers or hot springs
>>
ventilation, strata and geological issues, size of roadways/cut throughs etc, support that needs to be installed, depth of cover, how do you plan to excavate the area? continuous miner and conveyor belt? how hard is the material? drill and blast? is the ground able to be blasted without special considerations? what's your budget?

someone with underground mining experience.
>>
>>1169857
thanks, how hard would it be without explosives?
>>
>>1169869
about as hard as rocks
>>
>>1169869
A pain in the mutherfucking dick. As a miner i would say you would spend a lifetime chasing your tail. Go legit and get a liscense if u have to but pkease fuck use explosives.
>>
>>1169872
>>1169871
i want to dig out a village for /k/ users. Say i had manpower would it still be an issue?
>>
>>1169869
To make a city 200+ feet below ground without explosives would take so fucking long your great grandchildren might see it finished.
>>
>>1169876
How hard is it to get a license, what type of education(eg geology) would i need?
>>
>>1169877
Idk in america but submit your idea to an architect or a civil engineer if you don't want to die in a cave-in.
>>
>>1169874
Well, in Dwarf Fortress it only takes a few seasons to level up your miners, so I think you'd be fine if you had 3-4 sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry.
>>
>>1169836
The ancients already done it. It was a city of 10,000 people. Research it.
>>
>>1169874
fucking knew it, keep at it you glorious bastard!
>>
>>1169966
Are you interested anon? Discord is at the bottom of >>>/k/33799750, you're welcome to join.
>>
In an above ground city water travels through all sorts of channels by gravity into reservoirs. Underground you have to constantly deal with water seeping in everywhere with pumps moving it around and out. Then you have to circulate and ventilate air. Because you don't have the sun you need artificial lights for everything.

It's a huge resource sink that residents are going to be paying a huge amount of money for the privilege of living in a cave.

This isn't a project for skills. You need advanced degrees in several engineering fields.
>>
>>1169836
As a thought experiment, yeah, it's feasible but expensive as fuck. Mining isn't something you do without a serious (millions and millions!) budget.

Buy in reality? It's not going to happen. Deep inside you know it but it's fun to pretend...
>>
>>1169926
dwarf fortress is great

the level of detail gets me really in to it, especially the healthcare. the idea of them suffering various injuries then requiring rescue, transportation to the hospital, cleaning, a diagnosis, then proper care from a doctor and bed rest or surgery is so amazing. Especially if they lose a leg and have to use a crutch, and they actually have a skill for crutchwalking and can use it as a weapon
>>
>>1169836
Underground cities are not a new thing, many civilizations have actually done it and made great underground labyrinths of different kinds.

To go 200 feet you will probably need modern methods, a lot of money, a lot of planning and paper works, a lot of men power and equipments, and a lot of permits.

Special considerations: it is not /diy/ and it will involve a lot of different professions to design and engineer and manage the project.
>>
>>1169836
>any skills that would be handy

I can think of a few
>rock mechanics
>ground stabilization
>groundwater control
>mining
>ventilation
>water treatment
>shotcreting
>rock drilling and blasting
>debris mucking
>surviving with a vitamin d sufficiency
>>
Op, if youre going to do this, the only realistic way is to buy a bunker and then expand it, or to use a cave system and reinforce/expand.
Im sure theres a lot of abandoned unwanted bunkers around

Youre not going to have the explosives that goverments have, or the wartime workforce
>>
Op, consider the following: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burro_Schmidt_Tunnel

0.5 miles in 38 years...
>>
File: feels bad fellow stalker.jpg (90KB, 680x932px) Image search: [Google]
feels bad fellow stalker.jpg
90KB, 680x932px
>>1169991
You hurt our feelings.
>>1170085
Pretty much what I was thinking. Also a thing to consider might be settling and reinforcing and expanding pre-existing mines? A bunch of folks on kickstarter are making a steampunky Dorfy movie, and are spending considerable amount of time there.
>>1170006
One thing to consider is that from what I remember of those big arabic underground cities is that the area is pretty arid, thus, less problems with water control and also it's sandstone, which is way easier to work with than, say, granite, am I right?
>>
>>1169836
Oh, screan and wash the rock off also and u have free concrete rock.
>>
>>1169874
You ever used a jackhammer all day to run a water line or something? Its a royale pain in the dick but i guess its doable. Its probably 100 times easier to blast. U might even hire thr blasting out bit u would have to be an active minesite and be cucked by MSHA.
>>
>>1169876
Yeah, i been in the one in Kansas City. Its pretty big but they have been diging for like 50 years.

Hell we used to provess 3,000 ton of rock and my small town of 300 people is bigger that the hole we made strip mining.
>>
>>1169877
I think its an 8 hour vlass or a couple days and easy af. The guy that used to blast said it was all geological bullshit and we always ignored shit. He just stem it uo to like 4 feet or so and we would kick rock dust back in on top of it. Get ready to dive under the truck it fly rock comes and fire in the hole!

Its pretty easy really. Process we used u just grab a jimmy dean soausage roll looking stick of dynamite, shove a blastg cap in it, lower it into hole, drump anfo in it to a point, bury it, hook it up however with det cord, then fire it with a shotgun primer and hit the deck.
>>
>>1169991
Shit. Im digging a bunker the second i move. Idgaf
>>
>>1169996
I litterally tried that. Was on crutches and got pushed over. Tried to baseball swing one at guy, got pushed over into cattle panels and spend 20 minutes fighting that shit...
>>
File: CoE2_zpsad485fba.png (535KB, 1024x742px) Image search: [Google]
CoE2_zpsad485fba.png
535KB, 1024x742px
>>1169836
We /coe/ now?
>>
>>1170995
So on that same vein, what would the power plant be running on? Hydroelectric? Nuclear? [spoiler]Solar?[/spoiler]
>>
>>1171167
City of Ember is run on hydro, presumably underground river. Nuclear will still need large amount of cooling, usually sea water. Solar, sure, if going to the surface occasionally to maintain the system is acceptable.
>>
>>1171169
>>1171167
Geothermal seems like the best in this setting to be honest; no waste produced, not large safety issues, can startup anytime. And depending where you're digging, it can get pretty hot with a few kilometres (The KTB superdeep borehole had temperatures of 260 Celsius at 9,101 m)
>>
>>1170995
Great. Now im going to reread the books
>>
How feasible would it be to build a city/village 200+ feet underground. Any special considerations, any skills that would be handy?

Fuck off and die with your non-DIY projects you'll never do because you are so fucking stupid you only knew to ask here. KYS or become rich like BunkerAnon but the only DIY he's doing is renovation.
>>
>>1169877
licensing laws vary by jurisdiction

>>1170995
huh. always pictured it as bigger. never really looked at the map.
>>
>>1171674
Sgit son. If i get my way the biss will head north at the quarry. Dig my bunker for free boiiiiiii
>>
>>1169836
Your best luck might be buying an old salt mine or something that has already been cleared. Then just add the other things you'll need.
>>
If you're from /k/, why don't you just takeover a government site that already has everything dug out and installed? I've got the location of a great site, you'll need a little bit of man power though.

Email me [email protected] and I'll get you the details. Keep this between us.
>>
>>1172117
Shit. How do you delete posts?!
>>
>>1172117
>>1172118
no larping in diy please go
>>
>>1169869
saw a thing about mining with lasers but the tech isn't there yet and even if it was its going to be expensive
>>
>>1169874
You do realize that these already exist, right?
Salt mines/coal mines/gypsum mines that had have been mined out and are now just giant caverns and used for nothing.
Mushroom farms sometimes buy/use them.
>>
>>1169973
link says its expired
>>
>>1169929
Petra would of looked glorious if it was maintained through the generations
>>
Cheapest way to do this would to buy a large acre land, level off a huge section, build large dome structures connect with arched hallways, then proceed to use the rest of your land to bury the structure (and for gods sake make sure you have two exits for the complex), this way you can control the amount of ventilations and stuff. Also the water now instead of collecting around the complex surrounds it at a lower level and creates your own moat.

The biggest thing you would have to deal with in this set up would be that the dirt on top may or may not start to degrade the building/s
>>
File: Basilica Cistern.jpg (703KB, 1024x745px) Image search: [Google]
Basilica Cistern.jpg
703KB, 1024x745px
>>1169836
How about building something like Constantinoples Basilica Cisterns which is underground waterstorage but I could imagine building something alike for just livingquarters.
>>
>>1173817
Would be great for parties but the way it is built, if you're just one dude camping out in the corner, the sound echoing and revirburating through that place send turn you insane
>>
>>1169845
>Geothermal energy is a possibility,
Stop killing the planet. No.

>>1169874
Pay no heed to the naysaying skyseers.
>>
File: tbm.jpg (41KB, 599x397px) Image search: [Google]
tbm.jpg
41KB, 599x397px
>>1169836
Pop in to your local Tool Rental and pick up a Tunnel Boring Machine. If you don't mind a long tube, maybe one hole will do it. If not, how hard are these to maneuver underground?
>>
>>1173355
*would have. Sorry.
>>
nobody seems to be talking about the problem of deadly gasses leaking in, outside the scope of ventilation. and from a practical standpoint the lack of sunlight would be devastating if you were living there.
>>
>>1175951
I called Home Depot tool rental and they laughed at me. Why did you tell me to do this?
>>
>>1169836
>How feasible would it be to build a city/village 200+ feet underground.

Not a /diy/ question fuck off and die you spoonfeed craving retarded child shiposter.
>>
>>1175951
I had one of those but it got lost in yer mum with several others. I guess we'll never get OPs dentures back...
>>
File: Peter_Jackson's_Moria.jpg (81KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Peter_Jackson's_Moria.jpg
81KB, 1000x667px
>>1173283
>and they call it a mine
>A MINE
>>
>>1175977
Did you try a Super Home Depot yet?
>>
File: GenTurgidson.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
GenTurgidson.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>1169836
We must not allow a mine shaft gap!
>>
>>1176580
kek
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.