[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

generator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4041.jpg (26KB, 284x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4041.jpg
26KB, 284x360px
i wan to make something similar to pic related. i was just wondering if anyone knows where to source lamented steel plates used to wind a coil fro a rotor, or where i might sauce something to do the job .
>>
>>1169788
why not put the magnets on the rotor and put the coil as the stator?
>>
>>1169792
more complex coil windings, i need something i can wind by hand. i don't have a coil winder.
>>
If you're not overly concerned about efficiency/output power/speed i don't think you need to bother with laminated steel.
>>
>>1169813
would stainless be any good for it, or what is the best metal, because i could easily hit it with a clear coat or something to insulate them?
>>
File: 073_001.jpg (135KB, 1020x697px) Image search: [Google]
073_001.jpg
135KB, 1020x697px
>>1169788
I have an old book which has instructions for a very similar looking generator. It says you get the required components from an old telephone dynamo (you know, from the era when telephones had a cam). Pic related.
Using the same line of thought, you could get the rotor from an old electric motor.
The same book has also building instructions for electric motors and for them the instructions are straightforward: cut identical plates from sheet metal (by hand) until you have enough.

Today's equivalent for salvaging a telephone dynamo would be to use a suitable electric motor backwards.
>>
>>1169820
>would stainless be any good for it
It needs to be magnetic.

Silicon steel would be the best material, but ordinary soft steel works. You can use lacquer, paper or plastic to insulate them.
>>
>>1169813
This.
>>1169792
Pretty sure you'd need two pairs of commutators, one intermittent, switching one like normal, and another two offset from one another to provide the constant voltage to the rotor that is switched by the normal commutators. Since the rotor does the switching, it's easier to make the rotor the switched electromagnet as opposed to the permanent magnet.
>>
>>1169822
>old telephone dynamo
i might have to see if i can track one down cheaply enough

>>1169823
>It needs to be magnetic.
i thought as much
>>
thanks for the help, just ordered myself some iron sheets, i'll just make my own coil from scratch
>>
>>1169788
Just use a small electric motor. Its the same thing. Or if you really want to transformer cores will have them
>>
>>1169824
Yeah, or just add a diode, or selene rectifier if you want the 50' look.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.