[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

camper floor fix?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: camper.jpg (24KB, 430x323px) Image search: [Google]
camper.jpg
24KB, 430x323px
thninling about buying a camper like the one pictured. called an "Aliner". it needs a new floor - aparently the water tank leaked and rotted out the floor (see next pic). I'm good at fixing thing, have ton of tools etc. wondering how hard to replace a floor in one of these campers. I wouldn't use the chipboard that they used when new. probably some 3/4" marine ply? then do a nice wood look laminated flooring over that. guessing I'll have to take out the cabinets and everything too. I'll take out and leave out the water tank - don't need that.
>>
File: rotted floor.jpg (185KB, 640x1138px) Image search: [Google]
rotted floor.jpg
185KB, 640x1138px
>>1168809
pic of the actual rotted floor - not my pic. its from the for sale listing. I haven't seen the camper in person yet.
>>
>>1168809
Sounds like you know more about it than we do.
What are you waiting on op get to it and post results.
>>
>>1168815
OP here, I don't own it - I just saw it listed for sale a few towns away. normally these type campers are expensive but this one because of the water damaged floor is pretty cheap. just looking for anyone who may have had experience with camper restoration specifically replacing an entire floor. still on the fence if this is going to be 'worth it' or just keep looking for a different camper that doesn't need as much work. if I do buy it I will post progress and results etc.
>>
>>1168809
>water damage

Don't do it. You've got to fix the leak, and the floor is the damage you *can* see. There's going to be damage you *can't* see. Don't even bother.
>>
>>1168858
This. It looks really moist. I would expect some rust. Also the black spots look like mold, and that just stinks you would have to remove everything to get the smell out not only the floor.
>>
>>1168858
>>1168884
yeah, I've been thinking about that too. the ad 'claims' the leak 'might' be from the on-board water storage tank (which I would pull out and not re-install anyway) but-- but-- don't know that is/was the real source of the leak. if the roof or seams somewhere are leaking that is a major PItA to track down and fix. and yeah I saw that black on the chipboard (in the pic) and though mold. sure that mold will be ripped out 1st thing but I wonder about if it got into the fabrics and cushions. bleach will only get you so far...
the longer I think about it the more I think I should just pass. keep looking for another camper that is at least bone dry but just needs cosmetic updates. that I could do no problem.
>>
Popup campers are cheap nasty junk and age terribly.

They are like a matryoshka turd make of turds within turds. If you must do this, expect much more work than an intact outside indicates.

People sell them because they suck, and "suck" is being kind. I suggest saving your money and using it for other ways to camp.
>>
You can comfortably camp in an enclosed cargo trailer and many people do, self included. Unlike vile popup pseudocampers, you can also use trailers to haul stuff. They have plenty of room and if you hammock camp you can hang hammocks from the walls. Mine has E-track tiedowns I also use for that.

Enclosed cargo trailers are easy to repair if you score an older one.
>>
>>1168809
Black is yes mold and nasty kind for that matter (like to grow even in more dry conditions and its toxic). All organic material needs to go out and i would suspect those cabinets might need to be replaces too (fiber board soo those would fly out anyways if it were me)

Depending structure water most likely went into floor insulation and you might need to least dry it up, or sand the support beams, paint them and replace the insulation.

Marine ply is good replacement and making cabinets for something like this should be nice side project for DIY guy. Also lets you modify the design and make it more functional.

Is this worth buying? It is impossible to answer with out being you, or knowing how much money and time you have and what is your end goal for this project.

If it would be me.. then car trailer with breaks and build cabin/tiny house top of that. More hefty but you could sell it to some student for decent money, heck even live in it, if comes to that. Good luck what ever you do!
>>
>>1169052
OP here. my family owned pop up campers before, of course that was back in the '80s. we owned Starcraft brand (a 19' then later a 24') and never had any trouble with them. traveled all over the country with them. that said I have read that many brands these days are built as cheap as possible and don't last. seems most things are like that now (make it CHEAPER! is the theme of every business I guess) which is funny because the same thing was said back in the '80s: oh everything they build today is crap you have to get something from the 60s or 50s to be built well...
oh well. I've decided to take a pass on this "project". thanks for advice and replies.
>>
>>1169394
Good. It'd be a huge project that'd ultimately cost more than just buying one in good condition.
I've torn a lot of travel trailers apart, and if a floor has water damage and/or is decaying it's a goner.
The moment you try ripping it all out to replace it the whole damn thing starts falling apart. Not to mention that usually if the floor has water the walls, cabinets, etc will also be full of water either as the source or from it soaking in from the floor.
>>
>>1169394
I'm old too and agree the older campers were better units. Enclosed cargo trailers have plenty of room and you can add windows and skylights.

Seal with 3M 5200, not silicone crap. You'll thank me later.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.