[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170428_084043.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170428_084043.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
I'm making a dozen of IOT devices that sends me real time temperature and humidity variables through the internet, and will send me an instant alert if there is any sudden change. These will be battery powered and as portable as possible as I will keep these all over my city. If anyone wants to know I'm using ESP8266 with DHT11 and Dweet.io as the API. With around 10-20mAh as it's power consumption, I can easily power it for a month or two with some AA batteries.
The challenge here is providing the ESP with an internet access. I wish to make these devices self sufficient and have it's own internet. With some research I came across this 4g WiFi dongle of a perfect portable size but as there was no proper data sheet published by it's maker, I decided to buy it and test it myself. It works like a charm but sucks around 200mA on an average which is a deal breaker.
I would appreciate if anyone here can advise me a very low power and low data internet device or DIY arrangement that can fulfill the needs for the above project.

tl;dr anyone knows a lowpower internet device plz?
>>
Just how much weed are you growing?
>>
Sending a constant stream of real time data on a battery powered device is your problem.

Why not just have it send the data at fixed intervals, and power down the modem when not in use.
>>
>>1168545
That is one trick question my friend
>>
>>1168547
I thought about it too, but if there is a sudden change in the variables I won't be able to get an instant notification.
>>
>>1168549
Your not sending any data too these devices, right?

It'll work if you program it to switch on the modem and send data IF the temp/humidity fluctuate too much. It should be simple to program.
>>
>>1168552
also, do you really need a 4g cellular module?
you could do this much cheaper with a SMS module. Same power usage, but less money.
>>
Thanks for all the replies. Let me update you all with how and why I want the data. All the data will be time sensitive, I'm getting all the data-sets and the fluctuations with respect to it's time. I'm collecting all this data to make an intelligent AI weather predictor. I'll need this data to be precise with time. Switching the dongle ON every minute to send the data will create unnecessary time lags and will consume more power for switching. If I'll use the SMS module, I think the power used will be same (I have not used it before, if you have any idea how much mA it takes to send an SMS please let me know) but if the power usage is less, I'll consider it.
>>
>>1168562
I want the instant alert to notify me if anything unnatural happens so I can inspect the device immediately.
>>
>>1168562
>intelligent AI weather predictor

You might want to read about chaos theory mate
>>
Have you considered solar? But other than that, switch the modem on/off. The 20 seconds or so it takes to find signal will not be a big enough delay to throw off weather prediction
>>
Also, your data can be time stamped by the sending unit before you transmit. That way you still get accurate data
>>
Mfw ihnf the police find these 4g butt plugs hidden all over the city on private and government property and charge buddy with domestic terrorism or spying. At least you can use autism as a plea
>>
>>1168579
haha my bad, wrong choice of words, not that intelligent AI per se but an intelligent machine learning algorithm that can predict the weather conditions of my area with minimal cost function over my training set.

>>1168589
Yes!!, thanks bud, I can use a sd card module to log the data with a stamp and send it once or twice a day through the module and can also program it to switch it on and alert me if the variables suddenly change. Thank you friend.

>>1168594
Thanks for that point buddy, now I can have a very though case against the property owner.
>>
>>1168541
Check out LoRa friendo
>>
>>1168598
Weather is driven by global-scale phenomenal. I don't think you're going to get anything useful with your approach.
>>
If your looking into SMS or 4G data check out the provider Truphone

I use a prepaid sim for a remote garage door opener you pay upfront and it has free unlimited inbound call and sms so its good for a control network

They also have a professional level IOT SMS system you can contact them about

>Not Shilling
Just good service
>>
>>1168541
No clue. But i recomend panasonic lithium 18650 cells in lue of aa batts
>>
>>1168609
This.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.