[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rust removal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: axe.jpg (60KB, 566x674px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
60KB, 566x674px
Any idea on what techniques were used to restore rust this bad on a very old axe head?

I'm very surprised the engraved details were recovered.
>>
>>1168454
Fastest, cheapest way: Wire wheel on a benchtop grinder. It's kind of a pain in the ass and you can damage the piece if you aren't careful.

Safest, easiest way: Evaporust. Costs quite a bit though. HF carries it. Get a 20% off coupon for someone and buy it.

Fairly easy, fairly cheap, most awesome way: electrolysis. Moderately difficult to setup but works great and won't damage the piece. Watch out for off-gassing and don't smoke around it.

Other things also work. Molasses, citric acid, etc. They can eat into the metal if you aren't careful and have varying levels of effectiveness.
>>
Electrolytic rust removal most likely.
>>
theres no way thats the same axe head
>>
>>1168454
That looks like electrolytic from the coloring.

Electrolytic works partially to remove rust and partially converting some of the red rust that's already there to Fe3O4, a different kind of rust, which is why it's so dark. Fe3O4 protects against further rusting very well, though it can be worn away. This makes it useful for a museum piece that won't see much use, and it's still nice for items that will as long as they're kept maintained.

It requires an large relatively expensive setup, and must be done outdoors due to fumes.

>>1168459
There's some others you're missing:

Absolute cheapest, albiet extremely slow way: dollar store wire brush held in a bench vise. Piece is rubbed across it by hand. Much slower but much more control and easier to stop with less accidents. Would not reccomend for appearance though.

Super cheap, but can be spotty: Vegetable oil soak. Less likely to cause fuckups than molasses and citric acid, but also will leave many areas still rusted.

On top of this you forgot that harbor freight is having a small sale later in may with a 25% off coupon.
>>
>>1168454
damn thats a hot ax
>>
Why has nobody mentioned just soaking it in coca cola and using a fucking sponge?
I cleaned the rust off an entire car with that shit.
>>
>>1168635
You soaked your ENTIRE car in coca cola?
>>
>>1168454
why has no one mentioned the vinegar method? apply baking soda to the pieces AFTER to neutralize the acid. all you do is put piece in vinegar bath and wait 2 days then the rust wash off, you MIGHT need to use small wire brush or steel wool to make it perfect using this method.
>>
>>1168454
after cleaning, cook it in parafine oil. wipe off excess. that will conserve it.
be careful
>>
>>1168459
Cant I just soak the thing in CLR?
>>
>>1168635
>>1168669
Acid bath is the best solution (cola and vinegar are both weak acids).
I use the vinegar for BMX restoration.
Its non toxic and works well.
DO NOT leave overnight.
Check it every hour or two.
Use a sponge that has the scotch brite pad on one side (use blue or pink, not green).
Wipe down and repeat.
>>
>>1168635
>>1168669
>>1168875
>>1169863
You don't do that for this kind of shit you morons. The acid WILL eat away at the metal, which can be fine for some things but not for art pieces or antiques, and especially not historic artifacts like the axe head OP posted.
>>
Electrolysis is the only legitimate way to de-rust steel. Anything else will damage the base metal, either by abrasion or by etching. Electrolysis will only remove the rust, no matter how long you let it run for. It also produces no waste (keep the bath in a bucket, ready to use) and the ingredients cost pennies.
>>
File: 64BeN.jpg (34KB, 480x566px) Image search: [Google]
64BeN.jpg
34KB, 480x566px
>>1168454
lasers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A
>>
Ffs soak the damn thing in distilled vinegar, wipe it off after a few hours and change the vinegar. Almost spotless in about a day
>>
>>1168454
The engraving is actually inlay. And its silver. If you wire wheeled this you would probably rip out the silver..
>>
File: myfoot.jpg (692KB, 1483x756px) Image search: [Google]
myfoot.jpg
692KB, 1483x756px
myfoot.jpg
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.