[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grinding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: b2.jpg (52KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
b2.jpg
52KB, 480x640px
I got this used Metabo benchgrinder almost free from an autoshop. But now I’m wondering if it can justify the space it occupies in my workshop. Do you use it for anything else than sharpening tools? When do you even use the coarse wheel?
Also griding general I guess.
>>
>>1168240
yeah.... you can use it like...for grinding?
you can grind anything thats fits in the opening
you can make like knifes if you want... its a grinder mnfg, i wodl be happy if i got one for free thise things have walue even used - same goes for vice
>>
>>1168240
ad. you can put there even i wirebrush wheel, or a polishing wheel to polish the shit out of your dildos
>>
I have 2 bench grinders in my shop, one with grinding wheels the other with a wire wheel and polisher.
>>
>>1168240
same as anything else, you dont use it, its a waste of space. Id definitely demount and ditch the stand if seldom used, chuck it on a bench + (removable) mount if need. Youd be better off with a small modern benchtop grinder if space is tight anyway, but, that Metabo'd probably outlive you otherwise.
>>
I picked up one a wile back one a junk throw out. Only issue I found was a damaged cord which was replaced. They are good for sharpening drills once you get the hang of it. I even sharper one that was snapped in half and it works a treat now.
>>
>>1168240
if you can't use it throw it up on craigslist for a ridiculous price
>>
File: 1493230735872.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1493230735872.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
/b/ro I would fucking kill for a bench grinder that old. Shit made now is good but you have to pay for it
>>
>>1168240

second most dangerous tool (after angle grinder) serious, if you have no real use for it polish it up and sell it.
>>
File: 7320-D[1].jpg (57KB, 487x650px) Image search: [Google]
7320-D[1].jpg
57KB, 487x650px
>Be me
>Friends Dad is retiring, moving to Florida
>"Hey man, you want my Dad's old tools? I don't need that stuff"
>Yes, please
>Before I get there he says is mostly Black & Decker stuff.
>Oh, so it's garbage. Eh, might be a few useful items.
>The garage door opens, see picture related, from Google, front and center.
>Oh my.
>8-inch heavy duty pedestal grinder.
>We have to take it apart just to lift it into the truck.
>This was 15 years ago.
>The rest of the stuff was the same vintage, all still working today.
>>
File: swimmer swimming girl foot.jpg (46KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
swimmer swimming girl foot.jpg
46KB, 640x525px
>>1168471
>second most dangerous tool (after angle grinder)
>MFW

Short of having the wheel experience an abrupt disintegration or being too stupid to realize you're throwing sparks at something flammable, you really have to be trying to hurt yourself with a grinder.

But yeah, if you don't know what it's good for, you definitely don't need it.
>>
>>1168240
For general workshop you might look for a belt-grinder/grinding plate attachment for the grinder. You remove a stone wheel and get an adjustable belt grinder and the like. I use one at work for dressing up small metal parts.
>>
>>1168471
you've never used a table saw, I see.
>>
File: 10560-A[1].jpg (61KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
10560-A[1].jpg
61KB, 650x487px
>>1168534
I see your table saw and raise you a swing saw.
>>
>>1168539
Looks like a suicide machine, just waiting to be fed.
>>
>>1168240
That's a nice fucking grinder. I'd put a wire wheel on one side for rust and crud removal, or a buff if you polish.
>>
>>1168539
Now you're talking.
>>
>>1168240
It's best to use an actual sharpening wheel for sharpening tools.

Grind off seized bolts
Smooth sharp edges off fresh cut metal
Put a buffing wheel on it
Put a wire wheel on it

I dunno, i don't use mine all the time, but i've used it for hundreds of things over the years. Like, i needed to replace a bolt on a car once because it got too chewed up. The original had a slight threadless taper on the end, so i used my grinder to taper it. I used it a bunch to take sharp edges off bolts I have to shorten.

It's kind of like a table saw, it's uses are limited only by imagination and personal safety.
>>
>>1168539
I'm scared and intrigued
>>
>>1168499
I've never used any type of grinder before but my dad has this old bench grinder in our back yard. Back when I was interested in maybe using for some project, he warned me how dangerous it is if you try to grind something at a bad angle and it'd break into shrapenal. I'm sure he was over reacting but shrapenal does sound dangerous.
>>
File: vice.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vice.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1168240
some old guy gave me this vice yesterday
>>
File: vice2.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vice2.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1168872
looks like a sine vice too
>>
>>1168240
Great, now you can sharpen up some HSS tool bits for the lathe.
>>
>>1168539
>swing saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aR5Ge29i0

now I have to look at 100 youtube videos, suicide machine. >>1168544
>>1168544
>>
>>1169163
The thing that is truly scary about them is that the blade cuts towards you. if you lose your grip or the blade catches in the wood it will ride right over what you are cutting and kill you. You know all of those candy asses crying about how dangerous a radial arm saw is? The tool where the blade is on a fixed track and can never move more than a foot toward you and you can operate without standing in front of the blade? Yeah, this shit is 10 times more dangerous. I have never seen a swing saw with an anti-kickback device or a blade guard or anything like that. If you were lucky they might chain the arm so it can't swing too far. Most of the time there is nothing stopping the swing. With a RAS it can only move so far and as long as you aren't under the arm it can't hurt you. With a swing saw, that shit can go 90 degrees on you when it kicks. It will tear into your guts, ride up your sternum and not stop until that blade is going through TEETH.

Most saws take fingers or hit you with a piece of wood. Maybe you bleed to death. Swing saws have given people head injuries where they are dead before they hit the ground.
>>
>>1168477
By God, its beautiful.
>>
>>1169181
Fuck woodworking anyway.

Shit materials.
>>
>>1168855
>he warned me how dangerous it is if you try to grind something at a bad angle and it'd break into shrapenal.

USUALLY, this won't happen. Unless the wheel is already cracked for some reason, it will normally just chip. You also wouldn't be grinding anything large on the top of the wheel (where it could grab) instead of the bottom (where it can't).

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but, if used properly, it never should.

Anyway...anyone who tinkers regularly in a shop will find a grinder indispensable. Off the top of my head, I've used mine for:

Smoothing threaded rod after cutting it with bolt cutters
Shortening small screws that are just a bit too long
De-burring steel pieces cut with an abrasive wheel
Beveling steel for welding
Sharpening tools
Grinding HSS blanks
Cleaning scrap for re-use
A bit of polishing, when equipped with a cloth wheel

...and plenty of one-off oddball things. Been using it even more ever since I picked up a welder and have been getting into some more serious metal fabrication.
>>
>>1169215
Oh, they made metal cutting swings saws. You don't need to feel slighted. Tile and stone too.
>>
>>1168240
Post more pics of grinder.
>>
File: 1402120670933.gif (1MB, 250x230px) Image search: [Google]
1402120670933.gif
1MB, 250x230px
>>1168874
>that drill marks on ways
Death is too good for some people
>>
>>1170437
Oh hell that just happens when you use it enough.

Now drill marks on the table of a mill, that pisses me off. A vice isn't nearly as big of a deal.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.