[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

climbing plants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 04-26-12climbingplants.jpg (104KB, 488x353px) Image search: [Google]
04-26-12climbingplants.jpg
104KB, 488x353px
I hope to be on the right board...
I recently rebuilt my backyard street and there is an old concrete wall that's not worthy cover in fancy shit but it's still ugly to look at.
I thought about using a climbing plant to make it look better.
I would like such plant to give me fruits and I was wondering if any of you can help me find a few options and maybe share experiences.
I live in northern Italy (Trentino, 600m on sea level) so the climate can be quite hard during winters. I already have grapes and kiwifruits so I would like something different.
Any suggestion?
...thanks in advance.
>>
>>1168130

I recall reading here and there that you can put moss into a blender with enough water to turn the moss into a puree that you can then paint on concrete surfaces. It doesn't kill the moss and it will grow onto the wall.

If you don't mind the look of moss over a concrete wall you may be happy with that simple solution.
>>
Trentino is a beautiful city.

I found this article that you may use at your discretion.

https://permaculturenews.org/2016/05/06/10-edible-perennial-vines-for-vertical-gardening/
>>
>>1168130
If its a concrete wall then install some wire mesh on the wall hanging off about 3 or 4 inches. Cheapest option around here is called "cattle fencing". Comes in a roll, has about 4-6" spacing between the wires.

With this you can turn any ground covering plant into a vertical one.

I grow cantaloupe, these miniature watermelons, cucumbers, and runner beans on the cattle panels all over the property here.

The true ground plants like cantaloupe and watermelon youll have to train every 2-4 days during the growing season. I have noticed a significant incidence rate of powdery mildew since growing them vertically
>>
>>1168170
*significant decrease in the incident rate
>>
>>1168166
From what I recall you should mix in yogurt or milk so the mold will feed easy for the beginning at least.
I considered it, but part of that wall is too exposed to the sun for such a solution to work.

>>1168170
I have the mesh to do that but the plants you mentioned aren't good for my climate, it's too cold here.
>>
>>1168666
>Mold
>Moss
Wat?
>>
>>1168167
trentino is not a city
>>
>>1168130
>Trentino

a quick google tells me, that's plant hardiness zone 7b.

google "edible vines 7b", and there's lots of options: some kiwi vines, many types of grapes, peas, green beans, raspberries, boysenberries...

If you want something that will cover the wall ASAP: Clematis, Ivy, Wisteria, Trumpet Vine, Honeysuckle...

I work for gardening company in NYC, which is also zone 7b. All of the above do well here.

Oh. IF you have enough direct sun, cherry tomatoes are always nice.
>>
>>1168130
Attach some cheapo gutters into the wall and extend your garden.
>>
All these people have no idea what they're talking about.

What aspect is this wall (north/south facing?)

Do you want something evergreen or deciduous (drops leaf in winter)?

In Italy and on that wall you might have the micro climate necessary to grow Bougainvillea sp.. I would check to see if the neighbours are growing it.

Otherwise the most simple alternatives are ivy Hedera helix, use a simple non variegated variety it will grow faster but not ideal for full sun.

Parthenocissus quinqefolia would be my choice, it'd look fantastic in autumn but deciduous.

Alternatively you could espalia or fan train some trees into it with wire and supports - apple, pear, fig (fast growing), lime tree.

Or render the wall, paint it white and have a Wisteria trained all over it. Would take 10-15yrs to establish.

Possibilities are endless
>>
>>1169459

Ignore this jackass and just use kudzu.
>>
>>1168167
>trentino is a beautiful city
>beautiful city
>city
Cioccione schifoso
>>
L'edera dovrebbe andare perfectly
>>
>>1168166
>>1168167
Yes that works, but you'll want to use buttermilk.

>>1170020
Don't plant kudzu.

Kiwis are a pain in the ass, they grow to be huge and unruly and depending on the species you'll need a male and female plant.

Beans are the easiest to grow and don't require much upkeep.

Hops are a good option, they grow vertically, but you'll have to replant them every year.

Thorny berry bushes grow to be massive, and can spread to places you don't want. Like everywhere.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.