[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THD General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

File: index.png (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
6KB, 225x225px
Hey guys! I just started working at home depot and I was wondering: what do you think of the company? do you have any advice for a new employee? please share your projects and stories!
>>
If you are not collecting carts, try to learn as much as you can from senior employees who are actually knowledgeable and customers when you interact with them. You will learn how to upsell and make decent recommendations when customers swallow their pride and ask you for help. If a customers asks you a question don't just send them to Kristy because she sells doors, instead lead the customers to the expert and learn with them. After awhile you can answer most questions and customer and your superiors (if they aren't complete asses) will appreciate the level of service you provide.

TL;DR: product knowledge and expanding your knowledge will further your customer service skills and make you a valuable member.

I'm in customer service and I usually just lurk in /diy/ so not too much help on the actual diy side.
>>
>>1168053
If I try and buy spraypaint don't fucking tell me you'll go get Jose real quick and come back 20 minutes later.
>>
>>1168053
Really?
Is this the new approach?

Creating a thread and waiting 30 minutes to phonepost?

We still hate you and your shitty threads. Get a real job
>>
>>1168062
What kind of shithole do you live in?
I just walk in, grab the spraypaint off the shelf, pay and leave.
>>
>>1168053
>"No, sorry, I don't work here."
If a customer needs help, they will usually ask for it. The problem tends to be finding an employee, or better yet, one that is knowledgeable about what you seek. You have to be able to identify which type of customer needs help, and which is actually just visualizing their tasks at hand & what materials they are going to need, or possibly need if they cannot do the original plan.
Best thing is just meet&greet. Like "Hello, I'm Lorraine, and I work lawn&garden/plumbing/electrical/etc. If you need any help, just holler. "

And then go somewhere, don't linger. People don't buy shit if they think your breathing down their neck with your earballs standing down the end of the aisle. And if someone comes asking, be knowledgeable about your section. Best thing is ask for a floor plan/layout and memorize the item locations and aisle#'s so you can answer any random question. Also, memorize your sections items and their exact location, so when someone comes and ask "Where's the ______" you can lead them straight to it.

Shits hawt when I can ask an employee, "Where's the composite shims" and they are able to answer "Aisle#___, on a cardboard stand about halfway down. Would you like me to take you there?"
>>
>>1168066
we actually keep them locked up, in LA I hear they keep them in an caged off area
>>
>>1168066
It's usually the city that dictates if the paint is locked up. There is a Menards and Home Depot like three blocks apart by me and the Menards has the paint locked up and the Home Depot doesn't. They are in different cities.

Best advice for any person working in retail. Know where shit is. You should know the basics of what you are selling but any person who goes into a retail environment who expects the 18 year old working there for $8/hr to know everything about a product is a total fucking retard.

I can't count the times I've been at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes and had some middle age guy getting pissy because a high school student cashier can't tell him what plumbing fittings he needs. If you can get me to the aisle, you did your job. If I need a technical question answered, I'd call a professional.
>>
HD is really overpriced on a lot of stuff but other than that I have no specific complaints. Sometimes the way they arrange things doesn't make sense to me, like sanding belts being over by the power tool section instead of in the aisle with the rest of the sandpaper.

One thing, and this is just me talking from my own days of yore retail wageslavery experience, just make sure that you offer to go find another employee for help if someone asks you something you don't know. Just a couple weeks ago I was in a hardware and garden centre type outfit, ask guy where something is, he says 'what's that?', i tell him, he says 'oh, i dunno, seasonal?' then walks off. Real solid work there.

Otherwise leave people alone. I cannot abide a hovering hardware store employee.
>>
If ur a haughty employee, don't bother the contractors. If ur a hawty employee, make the first move towards customers, and make sure you look them just in the eye. Most contractors come in raggedy work clothes because, guess what: their rigor tends to be dirty, hard, tiring, & strenuous labor...........
and soome are reluctant or embarassed to make the first move for help because their getup does not accurately portray their normal self. i.e. Cheapass Gliden or other burlap shirts suck ass for working outside in the summer heat, even though their only like $5/3pak, but you bet ur ass I ain't gonna try to 'maintain an image' with new sweatbox shirts over being comfortable all day in the blistering heat with my paintstained, unbelievably soft & breathable Jockey or other namebrand tee - no matter how much deodorant has discolored it. A la "Form follows Function"

--------------------
Not everyone who looks like a bum is there to shoplift, so fuck off (looking right at you), Loss Prevention cocksuckers, aka
>Oh hey, seems everyone in the store decided to go to the checkout line I was heading towards, exactly right before I got there...Gee, go figure.
Time is money, and I don't need to stand around in 'line' while you go and change most the prices of the items I just carted in the POS system.
Just wanted to get that out there to any other bigbox store employees who browse here.
>>
>>1168084
>don't need to stand around in 'line' while you go and change most the prices of the items I just carted in the POS system.

Paranoid schizophrenic/10
>>
>>1168087
>Paranoid schizophrenic/10
except when they actually ring up as a different price than what was on the item's location sticker.
>>
>>1168096
Former walmart employee here. Not sure if this goes for all stores, but at mine, if a displayed price is lower than it rings up for, you can bitch about to a manager and they'll usually help you out. Doesn't count if a customer obviously just left the item in the wrong spot. There was also a law in my state, if an item rang up for more than the price it was tagged, you would be paid the difference (and I think a bonus I don't remember how it works).
>>
>>1168053
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFWeoxrhbE8
>>
>>1168053
Former THD employee here. That company is a steaming pile of shit. Cover your own ass, don't work pro services and get ready to do a shit load of work for way less then you are worth.

Best bet? Go work as a commercial painter for a couple years and get a job at a miller or sherwin williams store. They start at around $20 an hour in this area.

TL;DR - THD sucks balls, my condolences on getting that job.
>>
>>1168076
Used to work HD.
During training they tell you to hover and engage every customer because it helps prevent theft. Usually it just pissed of the contractors or serious DIYers and was useless.
>>
Not the normal HD anon, I took a paycut from cashier to quit and get a 'real' job temping.
>>1168110
>>1168053
Different departments are different rules. Sign up for the stock plan right away, it is 100% worth it. Even if you can't afford 20% of your paycheck (maxiumum), put in at least 5%. ideally wait 2 years after it vests to sell so you don't get hit with income taxes on it. after a year, sign up for the 401k, there's 70% matching up to 5% of your paycheck. DON'T do a managed portfolio, the fees kill you unless you have quite a few K, and even in that case they generally don't beat an index fund by much if at all in the long term.

When I worked there, the location of key machine and bathroom were like 1/2 of the questions.

The least confrontational way I found to approach customers was a "Morning!" (with a bright chipper i'm pretending I'm a serial killer on the inside so I don't sound surly voice) to anyone walking by + eye contact to make you approachable, and a sincere "Finding what you're looking for?" to anyone standing still.

If you don't find someone for a customer, and no one is answering their phone, don't be afraid to get a cashier to page "customer needs assistance in aisle __", but watch out for tools and certain other departments, it's a classic distraction technique to let an accomplice loot bits/blades, or plumbing fittings.
Speaking of, >>1168084 yeah, it's a shitty thing to do, but several grand a day walks out the door. The LP guys are the only ones allowed to accuse you of shoplifting, everyone else is told that, if there's someone suspicious, hover and be annoyingly helpful, offer to store carts full of expensive stuff at the register for you to get later, and ask politely to see your receipt as you leave, and/or if you say it's already buried offer to call the "other register" you got checked out on. Oh, and copy your car plates when you walk out but not supposed to follow you outside.
>>
>>1168388
Company policies are VERY corporate speak, they half ass try @ "profit sharing" of like 0.5% IF you get at least 105% of budgeted sales, the biannual meetings with free food and 2hrs of pay sound good but they're when the store is closed so either 6-8am Sunday or 8-10pm Sunday. Including the people who need to be there 5am monday to open.
>>1168110
Cashiers get to do up to $50 without needing a manager. We just needed to confirm it was the same item. So take a picture of the tag so we can say that yes, it's the same, or no, that's the price for the 8" pot and you have the 9" one that should be next to it but was filled to occupy both spaces.
Ditto if you cut your own rope, chain, or molding, PLEASE for the love of god take a picture of the tag and don't get pissed because cashier's haven't memorized every skew and they took away the physical book for it, so all we have is the register search which is run by just the shittiest search engine. Like searching aol. In 2001.

>>1168383
meh, 98% useless, I got a pair of 20 something girls with about 4k in tile and misc on two flat carts, who waved a receipt for a candy bar I sold them 20 mins ago as they walked through self checkout. When I asked to see and pointed out, the story was that "dad" checked out at the service desk, so no receipt. I said I would store their carts behind the register until they could either have him send a picture of it to their phone, give them the card number so they could confirm the receipt existed @ the returns desk, or come back with it.
Did not come back for 4k worth of merchandise.

Ditto a contractor looking guy dragging a heavy trashcan out the door, dropped it and left when approached, about 1k of copper wire and fittings in it.
OTOH I had guys who had a few dozen brass plumbing fittings bouncing in their jacket pockets while they checked out say "they brought them in with them". Saved receipt for LP to check cameras @ timestamp to compare with internal arrest records.
>>
>>1168369
Honestly, 90% of the time when we ask this we are bored as shit because not allowed to talk to each other on the clock and get bitched at when caught. ditto phone. Ditto standing anywhere other than up at the aisle when not dealing with customers. Idk why they even put the rubber mats at the registers when half the time cashiers aren't there and the other half they're so worn they're a tripping hazard.

So please, for the love of got tell us about your project, we're happy to stand there, listen, and ask questions. 10% of the time they're even helpful ones, like "have you heard of sharkbite fittings" for plumbing projects, or "have you heard about the bidroom at the service desk, where if you spend more than (I think) $2k you can get things at wholesale prices."

Generally not a hard job. Don't:
steal
show up late a ton/fail to call when calling out sick
get caught not following safety rules
yell at a customer/accuse them of stealing/pick a fight.
I did not see it happen, but it's possible you could get fired for regularly working over your hours without permission.

Um, can be fired for failing a drug test, but I believe that it's SOP that you can't be if you go to them and say that you are trying to quit drugs and that they will help pay for rehab. Check the SOP on the computers first though.

If a customer is upsetting you, it is 100% ok to say "I'm sorry you're upset, let me get a manager to help you" and ditch them at the service desk or ask them to wait over there so you can assist other customers. Managers get paid to deal with upset or asshole customers.

Job is not to be helpful or knowledgeable. job is to be polite, present, stock shelves, be visible and don't steal.
Bug the shit out of your HR for free training on driving a forklift etc, good to be able to put on your resume later on.

I will say I had good management that would tell people to leave immediately if they started cussing at employees.
>>
>>1168076
>>1168110
Oh, and in that $50, cashiers will match any local price except sams, bj's, costco, or walmart, match and beat any lower price from lowes by 10% (although this may not include any sale prices, that goes store by store), and don't match amazon/ebay at all.
Online prices for brick and mortar stores are ok.
So I had one crew who came in for a week or so and bought a few hundred bucks worth of molding all told at about half price because they didn't want to drive the extra 30 miles to the specialty molding store.
If it's an item with a brand, has to be the same brand, size, etc. Lowes and HD pretty much don't ever carry the same brand names of stuff and this is why. I just abused it at lowes getting gallon of tightbond glue though, was a penny cheaper at HD so I went to lowes and got 10% off.
>>
>>1168058

This right here. I been working at home depot for almost ten yrs. When I got there, I didn't know shit. I found a person who's been there for a while, so Id ask questions, watch how he did things, just kept an open mind.
>>
>>1168053

it's basically another Wal-mart but with better image.

did they make you donate to the homer fund yet? how about they pay their employees better to avoid such shit.
>>
>>1168369
>>1168416
If you get an actually personable regular customer to have a decent conversation with on a few occasions, you may end up with connections to better opportunities down the line. Always be mindful of being on the clock though.
>>
>>1168053
If a rugged looking customer, soaked in sweat, tells you he doesnt need help, pls fuck off, obviously that fag has enough experience that doesnt need a pimply 27 year old offering useless advice in a subject he is ignorant in.
>>
>>1168053
Never pack anything down, clean, or organize things. Managers don't like when you're not talking to customers. Know where every item in the store is and always point. Never leave your department because people hide in other departments and you get sucked in. Thieves also like luring you away while their buddy steals shit. That sweaty guy who tells you to fuck off, keep helping him until he leaves your department. If a customer gives you shit, and you haven't been working there for very long, punch him square in the nose. Those cameras on the ceiling don't do anything.
>>
>>1168558

nigga some fucking sweaty rude mexican wanting to be alone in the aisle is what they train you to stick to like glue
>>
>>1168558
I worked at a Home Depot in college in the flooring department. I always got a chuckle out of these unlicensed shitty "contractors" who "knew so much more than me". I've been working at my family's 3rd generation flooring company since I was 8. The only reason I was working at that shit hole was to pay the bills since I was 3 hours away from the business. We specialize in hardwood but do carpet, laminate, vinyl, and VCT too. No tile though. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>1168885

there's a reason you're in the home deopt instead of the business son
>>
>>1168566
You're trying to get this guy hurt.
>>
>>1168053

anyone know what all the managers and ASMs make?

there seem to always be a shit ton doing nothing it seems. plz tell me they are not making real good wage while i lift lumber and cement bags for minimum wage
>>
>>1168889
Yeah, because I was getting my Bachelor's. Do you think my dad wants me to break my fucking back all my life like my grandpa did? I'm going to be the jerk who signs the checks and works in the A/C. I already manage the place and dad is leaving it to my sister and I when he retires.
>>
>>1169128
>I was getting my Bachelor's
>>1169128
>to my sister and I

Still not able to grasp HS grammar though.
>>
Is it true that the code to start the saw platform is usually the store number? Also why is there so much divergence in attitudes over making cuts? In most urban and close in suburban stores they act like making cuts is a huge deal. At rural and exurban stores they act like you've made their day letting them cut something for you.
>>
>>1169176
Only one of our machines is the store number, the rest are either 1234* or 4321*.

PSA for you non-hd cunts: stop asking employees in orange shirts for help. All we're good for is straightening products on the shelves, and even then, our quality is pretty spotty.

Find someone with an apron.
>>
>>1168053

Shitty and overpriced. If I need something I go to my local hardware store or the Habitat for Humanity ReStore here.

The lawn tractors you faggots sell are also complete shit. Fuck you, fuck Home Depot, and fuck MTD.
>>
>>1169043
The managers and ASM's make pretty decent bank, I think in the neighborhood of 80-120k and 40-60k.

They do nothing because they're expected to work 60-80hr weeks because they're on salary.

Also, half the stuff that is their job looks like doing nothing, like walking the aisles, observing the supervisors, gladhanding with big customers, getting familiar with employee motivation and identifying issues and building loyalty and morale, and NOT being busy so they're available to run over and help when there's an emergency or a customer flipping their shit.
When I worked there I know of at least one Dept supervisor who said fuck no @ promotion to ASM. She was making like $25/hr and would get at least 10 hrs of overtime every month because short staffed, so it would have been a big pay cut to go from ~$55k to $45k along with being expected to work way more. I think it was one of the departments that make bank, like kitchen design, though.
>>
>>1169261
I've had one of their zero turn mowers for almost 10 years and it was a $500 one, nothing fancy, all I've had to do maintenance wise was replace oil, blades, and the blade drive belt
>>
>>1169301
your delusional if you think a manager at a home depot makes 6 figures
>>
>>1169132
>Thinks you need basic grammar to get a degree in anything other than English.

I work at an engineering firm with several people holding advanced degrees. You should fucking read internal emails. These fucks were apparently never taught how to use spell check.

>>1169261
>Shitty and overpriced. If I need something I go to my local hardware store

Where do you live that a small hardware store is even in the same ballpark on prices as a multinational big box store? The local Ace is consistently 120-300% more expensive on products as Home Depot or Menards.
>>
>>1169312
Depends on the store. Base pay is high 5 figures in most places. If the store does well they get a bonus.

Mother-in-law is a CPA and does the taxes for a couple. He is the manager of a high volume Home Depot and she is a regional manager for a gas station chain. She said he made ~120k and the wife made ~105k.

Assistant managers make like 40-60k which isn't good money since they are salaried and required to work 60 hours a week. So even at 60k a year they are making less than 20$/hr.
>>
>>1169328

>Ace
>local hardware store

Jesus Christ. That's embarrassing.
>>
>>1169332
You do know that Ace is a franchise that is independently owned, right? Ace is about as local as you can get unless you live in pigfuck nowhere.

There is no point and it would be next to impossible to open a truly independent hardware store. You would have no distribution network to tap into. Good luck setting up your own.

You instead become a franchise owner for Ace, True Value, Hardware Hank, do it best, Gaebler, ect.
>>
>>1169330
Basically, it varies like any job. A SM at the Home Depot in Manhattan probably makes 150k+. Where as a SM in Rural Mississippi probably makes closer to 60-70k.

Stores that make more money pay more too, and are where they tend to put managers who prove that they can make the almighty dollar.
>>
>>1169328
>Where do you live that a small hardware store is even in the same ballpark on prices as a multinational big box store?

Not him but some "small" hardware stores are actually relatively large due to selling building materials and shit like kitchen remodelling, as well as renting out mowers and other seasonal gear.

>>1169342
>Ace is about as local as you can get unless you live in pigfuck nowhere.
>There is no point and it would be next to impossible to open a truly independent hardware store

Where the fuck do you live? There's like 3 hardware stores in less than an hour's walking distance from me. Hardware stores are profitable near people who do work. That means contractors, mechanics, apartment supers, and so on even if the general population isn't very DIY. Of course if you live in an area where starbucks and whole foods flourishes then you will almost certainly never see one.
>>
>>1169390
>>There is no point and it would be next to impossible to open a truly independent hardware store

Bullshit. My local hardware store owner publicly welcomed Walmart behind him, a Lowes across the street and multiple Simpsons in the area all of which are newer than his store.. He wins on knowledge and service and makes phat bank despite not being a franchise.

He knows his shit, and he hires CLUEFUL sales people. When you walk in, they come to you and ask if they can help. They know how or they get da boss.
>>
File: serviceshdr.png (26KB, 246x120px) Image search: [Google]
serviceshdr.png
26KB, 246x120px
I work for Home Depot Exteriors. I routinely make $1500 to $2000 a week not including monthly bonuses. I am not a part of the store, I am a corporate employee. The store managers in the stores that I associate with make around $150k a year. The ASMs start at $52k and with bonus many hit the 70s.
>>
File: 1492609807421.jpg (421KB, 1285x1356px) Image search: [Google]
1492609807421.jpg
421KB, 1285x1356px
>>1169427
>this whole post
>>
>>1168893
No, he needs to not be faggot around thieves and assholes. If some drunk contractor gets upset because someone is on him like white on rice, that's too bad.
>>
Any advice on using HD's kitchen remodel service?
>>
>>1169427
Bet he is a part of True Value or Ace.
>>
>>1168053
Learn as much as you can because you are going to have customers bugging you all the time with all different questions and they dont want to hear I don't know or shit like that.
>>
I work at Walmart as a CAP Team 2 Supervisor. Pretty much I babysit the unloaders. In June I'll be at Walmart for 2 years. I use to work as a Department Manager in Toys. Before that I stated out in Lawn and Garden for a little more then a year. If I stay at Walmart my next step up is assistant manager which is under co manager and store manager.

Q? I'm tired of Walmart and their retarded shit. How likely can I move from Walmart to the Home Depot (or any other big box store that isnt target and such) and work in a manager job there? Right now I make $15hr, work 4 10 hour days and have 3 off.
>>
>>1169911
You almost always drop down at least 1 position when changing jobs, but you're more likely to be hired and more likely to be up for promotion sooner. Unless the new store you go to is specifically hiring for the position you are leaving.

Honestly you could move up to something less soul-killing than a huge chain, probably. Always look for jobs with more potential upwards movement if you're going the wageslave route.
>>
>>1169390
>Not him but some "small" hardware stores are actually relatively large due to selling building materials and shit like kitchen remodelling

That isn't a hardware store. That is a lumber yard or a big box store.

>>1169427
You just described most franchise hardware stores.
>>
>>1169658
Bumping this. Any THD employees willing to share their knowledge of kitchen remodeling services?

My wife and I went to several local shops and quickly discovered that most everyone uses the same company for cabinets: one of the many subsidiaries of MasterBrand cabinets (Decora, Kemper, Omega, etc.). So, we figured we'd go with THD because 1) the cabinets are basically the same plywood boxes, made by the same company, in the same facility, and 2) we wouldn't have to pay a 20% commission fee by going with THD. There are a few differences between the various brands (plywood thickness, finishing choices, hardware add-ons), but we're happy with THD's Decora line which seem sturdy and reasonably priced.

So, what am I missing here? The contracting will be done through Crew2, who installed our carpet and did a damn fine job. Does anyone here have horror stories? What should I be terrified of?
>>
>>1170592
>The contracting will be done through Crew2, who installed our carpet and did a damn fine job. Does anyone here have horror stories? What should I be terrified of?

Protip: Crew2 hires subcontractors and some of them are terrible, some are great. I was just talking to a guy who claims that they hung his storm door upside down. The guy might be full of shit because I have no idea how someone could fuck up that badly.
>>
>>1170595
>hung his storm door upside down

That's awesome. I want to believe.

As for Crew2: we only dealt with them once, but the guys who showed up at my door were incredibly professional, and fast. Put down an entire floor of carpet plus stairs in about 3 hours. I tipped well. But yeah, some contractors are good, others you wonder how they manage not to nail their own dicks to the floor.

Thanks.
>>
>>1169328
>Where do you live that a small hardware store is even in the same ballpark on prices as a multinational big box store?

he was talking about ReStore's. they are bargain bin outlets for used or slightly botched building materials.

honestly, any project over $500 you should be going to a GC building supply store. THD is for one off "i just need this one thing" kind of projects. total rip otherwise. i would never do any kind of remodel using THD.
>>
>>1170598
>I tipped well
>tipping contractors ever

Amerifat detected, I have never and will never tip a contractor. Why tf would you ever think that's ok? I bet you tip the cashier for ringing up your groceries too
>>
>>1170628
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC7-L1hVjgA
>>
>>1170628
>3 Mexicans
>Making way less money than I do
>Installing carpet in house they could never dream of affording

Yeah, I tip.
>>
>>1170601
>ReStore

Fuck yeah.

Some of their pricing is fucked (got excited when they had some 8' box levels on the shelves, then let down when I saw they were _more_ expensive than the exact same ones from Home Depot), but some crazy deals show up every now and then. Got a 25-pack of brand-name angle grinder flap discs for like $15 last time I went in.
>>
Theft. Theft everywhere.
>>
File: 1493434836686.png (75KB, 296x190px) Image search: [Google]
1493434836686.png
75KB, 296x190px
>>1168388
yo. I'm doing the 401k with home depot (D21/22 here). what's your strategy for it? I have 33% going to it and the rest of the money is for tuition and food.

also, I feel bad the for DHs working in home depot. basically slaves in orange aprons
>>
>>1170601
>he was talking about ReStore's. they are bargain bin outlets for used or slightly botched building materials.

He clearly said local hardware or ReStore.

I know what the ReStore is and it's not viable for most jobs since the stock is random. They have some great deals on hard to sell items (one off windows) but shit deals on a lot of stuff. Their tools are a joke 90% of the time.

If you're regularly doing jobs over $500, Home Depot it great. If your job is over $1500 go and talk to the guys at the pro desk and get that ship submitted for volume pricing. Get an instant 5-50% off.

About the only thing I don't buy from them is bulk lumber since I can have a bunk or two delivered directly from the mill and cut out the middle man.
>>
>>1170766
yeah, so the first priority IMO is the stock plan, 20%. since they buy stock for you at 15% discount, it's basically free money. If you sell it the day after it vests, it gets taxed as regular wage income, if you wait 2 years, it's capital gains rate, much cheaper.
401k, just pick one of the index funds.
Honestly, I'd stop @ 5% into it where the matching stops (3.5% of paycheck matching when you hit 5% auto deposit) because other Roth IRA plans give you more options on what to put your money towards. Also, don't forget that 401k's only let you withdraw money without a big tax penalty for certain events.
>>
>>1169176
Most of the time, it's the store number for everything. Just look at the keypad. The depot dust is usually so thick you can tell what numbers get pressed.

In urban stores, you get a lot of people who are trying to halfass something they saw on pinterest who want you to cut every piece of their project for them. I had someone ask me to cut 50 pieces of lath for them out of 4 sheets of plywood the other day. Apartment-living fucks with no tools vs. people who just want a 4x8' sheet cut in half for the ride home.

The depot panel saw is designed for 2-3 (inaccurate) cuts per sheet, and it's a pain in the ass to set up. The radial arm saw has a blade so thick that it takes around a 3/8" kerf (so they don't have to change it often) and in our store, if we try to cut anything less than 3" off a board, it gets sucked into the dust collection system and explodes in the ducted fan.

I don't want to do half your project for you. We sell saws.
>>
>>1171012
Read the sign. At my old store we charged assholes like that $0.25 a cut. Had a guy ask for 300 cuts once and he got a nice upcharge.
>>
In my opinion it's easy, but very shitty. And I'll admit most of that opinion is coming from not being interested in the construction field in any way shape or form. I go on /dit/ for small projects, but that's about it. It was just a summer job for me and by the end of summer it sucked the life out of me, I could not see myself working there for longer than a year if I had to. Props to people who stick around for a long time but I just couldn't get into it. So in the end, it was just a summer job for me and nothing much else. Also the whole anti Union propaganda really got to me. I understand differing views on unions but this is just extreme(I know it comes with the territory for most big box stores). It also annoyed me to see pretty shitty replacements they would have as far as work place injuries go. Even for my few months their I've seen shitloads of "oh just go home for a few days and don't say anything about it so we can have our $20 pizza party" type scenarios for on the job injuries. It could have just been my store but I'd imagine what they promote as a company just promoted that kind of behavior.

On a lighter note, being a lot attendant was pretty fucking chill. Carts sucked on hot days but for the most part in my store, we had the most freedom out of anyone. I wasn't a shithead like this but if I wanted to I could spend 90% of my shift hiding from work. I also got to choose when to go to lunch on time and take my breaks on time. But again I didn't abuse very much so (if anything I was told to ignore more things because I would feel bad for co-workers calling for help when I was on break) it was a 50/50 deal because theres still lots of work involved. I guess what I liked about it the most is the social aspect. Most people were chill and my position allowed me to walk around and talk to everyone to pass the time.

Sorry for the essay
>>
>>1171789
>Even for my few months their I've seen shitloads of "oh just go home for a few days and don't say anything about it so we can have our $20 pizza party" type scenarios for on the job injuries

I worked for a large chain once and got injured by a defective piece of equipment. Ending up fracturing a bone in my foot. Knowing that they were fucking cunts about everything, I turned on sound recorder on my phone. First was the slight concern. Then came them asking if I just wanted to go home for the rest of the day. Then came the antagonizing me by saying it couldn't really be that bad and suck it up. Then came the annoyance that I was going to make them do paperwork and ruin their like 60 day streak of no accidents.

Went to the doctor, got xray, get boot cast for fracture.

Go back to work on restricted duty, had to give an account to a manger since none was available at time of injury. He asks me a bunch of questions like do I skateboard or play sports or even jog regularly. Asks if I really hurt myself at work.

On light duty so I basically can't do my job, but gladly help out doing easier jobs for same pay. Get asked every day if I just want to go home early because they are overstaffed. Tell them I'll stick around (full time employee so 40hrs). Supervisor tries to talk me into just taking some non-paid time off. Says I'm being selfish. Asks why I'm even staying around if I can't do my job.

>mfw I get all of these conversations on tape.
>mfw I get written up 5 times in 2 weeks after 2 years of not a single complaint with several written awards and thank yous from managers

>mfw OSHA tells them they have to hire me back, give me back my vacation and sick time that they paid out, give me back pay for the time I was fired

>mfw a long time family friend agrees to file a lawsuit for free and they settle within a week for more than a year's pay

Also after I was fired, I got a much better job.

It was the best thing to ever happen to me.
>>
>>1171823
Really though document everything if you get hurt on the job.

In total I got:
40k for settlement
2 weeks vacation paid out when I was fired
1 week sick time paid out when fired
3 months pay for time that I was fired
2 more weeks vacation paid out when I quit
1 more week sick paid out when I quit

Plus they pay I got at new job.

Basically they paid for my college. Oh and the supervisor got fired because scapegoat. Which is meh because he was a dick, but he was only a dick because his bosses told him to be.

Oh, and it was Walmart BTW.
>>
File: pls halp.png (154KB, 1267x914px) Image search: [Google]
pls halp.png
154KB, 1267x914px
>>1170990
ok. so i just put 20% on the stock. 15% on 401k and 15% on roth. which index fund do i invest in? i have it all over the place on the pic
>>
>>1171823
Same poster, yeah I actually have an older friend who was working at Walmart for years. They would do shady things like make him work "off the book" over nights with truck shipment loading and other things without proper training so they could save chump change (surprisingly this one of the things I saw my Home Depot follow real hard, you can't do anything without the training needed). Anyways, he ended up getting hurt real bad, he fucked up his back big time. They tried to pay him off with around a years pay. He did not agree and chose to fight it. Its been almost 5+ years of constant court battling now and only now is he getting someone close to a decent case award. The thing that saved him was a notebook he kept where he time stamped every time they would make him go out and do the various "off the books" jobs, but again it still took him way too long to get this case to even get looked at and fought for.

But yeah, it just goes to show how screwed you are when it comes to big box stores like that. In most cases poor workers would never think to record illegal activities like that, along with the time and effort it takes to fight but its still the best thing to do no matter what.
>>
>>1171931
>In most cases poor workers would never think to record illegal activities like that, along with the time and effort it takes to fight but its still the best thing to do no matter what.

Yeah, I had practice. In high school I worked at a fast food chain. The manager (the owner's son) did so much shady shit. The big one was he stole from the till all the time and when it was discovered, he blamed it on my friend who worked there. Police got involved and shit. The guy pinned it on him because his mom was sick, so he said he was stealing to pay for her medical bills.

Couldn't prove anything against him because he wasn't doing it, but they fired him anyway. Theft continued after he was fired (surprise surprise) so a bunch of us quit because we knew he was try and blame one of us soon. If I had documented shit better I could have just got him arrested and probably got and IRS reward for all the shady shit he did too.
>>
>>1169443
Out of curiosity How'd you happen to get into that?
>>
File: aieBJRY.jpg (161KB, 743x983px) Image search: [Google]
aieBJRY.jpg
161KB, 743x983px
Anyone working a side job?

Looking to do something outside my 9-5. Could really use an extra $1-2k/mo for the next year or two. I'm picturing stocking shelves at Lowes, pizza delivery ... anything. Any suggestions? Ideas?

/biz/ wasn't much help.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.