[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeking security advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 71vB6Z3SWjL._SL1500_.jpg (143KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71vB6Z3SWjL._SL1500_.jpg
143KB, 1500x1500px
I suspect someone is messing with my mailbox, which is about 25 yards from my front door. I want to aim a security camera at the mailbox and see if somebody really is, and maybe identify them. Anyone had some success in this kind of situation?
>>
File: i-tjCvqn3-L.jpg (76KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-tjCvqn3-L.jpg
76KB, 799x450px
Wired will always be better than wireless.
They still need power... might as well go PoE.

You'll want a longer focal length lens (more mm's) for objects farther away. A "varifocal lens" is adjustable zoomy.

Modern IP cams are 4-6mp, so there's generally plenty of resolution there.

I've been happy with my hikvision domes.
>>
Don't forget to put up a sign saying the area is being observed by cameras.
>>
>>1167648
I don't believe my state requires signs.
>>
>>1167531
My favorite solution. Replace a usb webcam cord with up to about 50 feet of cat5. This can be longer if you daisy chain powered usb hubs with POE. First 45-50 feet can be just usb. Put a usb on the other end to plug into your computer and use I-Spy software. Set it to record on motion so it takes little HD space.

That or use an old/dirt cheap android phone.
>>
>>1167731
Fuckin NICE. Will do this and troll a theif and report back.
>>
>>1167731
I don't have a PC in that house. It's being renovated. Also I don't want a cable crossing the yard. If it was in an office that would be great.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-21-19-56-35.png (42KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-21-19-56-35.png
42KB, 720x1280px
>>1167648
Video is fine as long as you respect "reasonable expectation of privacy". Yard or street/sidewalk? You're fine.

Recording audio gets into state/fed wiretap laws. Most states are "single-party consent" - if you're one side of a conversation and you consent, the other person doesn't have to. "Two party consent" states require both sides to agree to it, which becomes difficult in cctv applications.
>>
>>1167531
Get a grenade and have the door of the mailbox holding the spoon in place.
>>
>>1167912

With one party, you still must be privy to the conversation. You can just record your neighbors talking and claim you are the consenting party. You are not a participating or invited party.
>>
>>1167914
I don't believe the postman would enjoy that very much.
>>
>>1167927
Maybe hes the one fucking with your mail box.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.