[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need to convert a single pole switch to a 3-way. Any resource

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (257KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
257KB, 600x460px
Need to convert a single pole switch to a 3-way. Any resource on this? Idiots who built my house put a switch at the top of the basement stairs but not the bottom.
>>
not an electrician but i'd say it would depend on how it's wired up already, also google https://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring-switches/how-to-wire-a-threeway-switch/view-all
>>
>>1167455
unless you want to pull some new wire (not existing), then you could totally do it
>>
>>1167455
if you cant run a new wire with three conductors, you can buy a remote three way. One part goes where the existing switch is, and the other part, which is radio controlled and has a battery, goes at the bottom of the stairs. Changing the battery sucks but if it is too difficult/impossible to run a wire it will do the trick.
>>
>>1167477
Can run new wire, I think romex 14/2 is right? I basically just need to add a switch to an existing circuit. The ceiling and wall are already exposed, so wire is not an issue.
>>
>>1167482
14/3 between the 3 pole switches
>>
>>1167486
Thanks man. I'm also converting the existing flourescents to recessed lighting. Is there any reason to not just get a bundle of 14/3 and doing the whole project with that?
>>
>>1167491
14/3 will cost significantly more and is harder to pull because it's thicker.
>>
>>1167491
I would just use 14/3 between the two switches and 14/2 everywhere else.
>>
>>1167455
>Idiots put a switch at the top of the basement stairs but not the bottom.

They weren't planning on NEETs living in the basement and needing the light off while still down there.
>>
>>1167617
It's a finished basement, and my daughter wants to make it her suite so she has more space
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.