[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a new furnace, but I know very little about HVAC and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 20170425_184231.jpg (615KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170425_184231.jpg
615KB, 1836x3264px
Just got a new furnace, but I know very little about HVAC and was wondering about the install. The following is a pic is of new furnace.

2 concerns I have. First, they had told me that the new furnace would not use the triangle splitter on the top as shown, instead would use a box splitter, which supposedly promotes better airflow.

Secondly, they used some sort of caulking compound all around the main duct, whereas the old one I have uses tape.

Good or bad install?
>>
File: 20170425_184248.jpg (897KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170425_184248.jpg
897KB, 1836x3264px
Close up of the main output
>>
File: 20170425_184241.jpg (751KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170425_184241.jpg
751KB, 1836x3264px
Close up of the main drainage. Looks like they did a moisture sensor of some sort in the pan, which seems good.
>>
i don't know
i have barely a clue what i'm looking at

but i want to know too
>>
mastic is pretty standard now

>they had told me that the new furnace would not use the triangle splitter on the top as shown, instead would use a box splitter, which supposedly promotes better airflow

your splitter at the top seems retarded. but granted it looks like the unit is in an attic ? they coming back to switch it out then ?
>>
>soldered gas line
>>
>>1167363
Yes, this is in the attic. The other furnace has the same splitter, so I think they just reused it from the old furnace, which is not what they told me they'd do. But if I don't complain, they will definitely not do jack all about it. I think they consider this a complete job.

We had issues with poor airflow plus balance and it's pretty much the same as before. That's why they told me that they would not do the pyramid.
>>
File: 20170425_184308.jpg (733KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170425_184308.jpg
733KB, 1836x3264px
Oh also, one more picture, it's the drainage line.
>>
>>1167366
yeah thats against code where i live

that plenum off the top looks like a disaster and flex pipe is shit but im guessing you didnt pay them to change the ductwork so furnace fine looks alright. although i wouldn't put the condensate drain trap on front of the panel you need to get at for service. also, who installs a mid efficiency furnace these days? i didnt even know they still make them
>>
>>1167366
I'm thinking that the gas line was there before the furnace was installed.

>>1167389
Yes, I was never happy with that plenum. And you're right, the drain trap is right in front of the service panel. Looks like I'm going to have to call them tomorrow and complain.
>>
>>1167387

Everything about this hurts my brain.

Hope you didn't pay more than $1500 for this install. Any reason they didn't convert it to a horizontal install?
>>
>>1167345
Okay first, plenum sucks negro testicles, its horrible, like id get fired if i did this, second, white shit that looks like caulking is called mastic, works better than duct rated tape, so ill give the faggots that, they dont want the poor air distribution to leak, hooray for u and them, and c) the moisture sensor is called a float switch, its supposswd to disengage cooling in case the drain gets clogged, however it doesnt seem connected and i usually added it to the secondary
>>
>>1167981
I just noticed there is no secondary drain running from evaporator to drain pan, that also sucks, as if water leaks itll fall in to the electrical
>>
>>1167984
But both float switches are connected, so its a so and so
>>
I have never seen a copper gas line before. Only see black iron, galvanized, and flex. But if it's to code, whatever. Your plenum does indeed look like shit. Nothing wrong with the mastic but it looks like shit. I never use it on my installs. Can tell your install guy never did service. Condensate line right in the way. I would get fired for this install.
>>
>>1167390
is this on propane or natural gas. if propane then ive seen copper be used.
>>
>>1168048
>>1168057

Older homes natural gas will usually have copper, but I've only seen flared joints and never soldered.

Also, as far as I know, it isn't code anywhere in the US. If it isn't addressed copper flakes will plug up the gas valve. At least the dirt leg exists.
>>
I would be mother fucking pissed if they ran my condensate line like that. That's fucking pathetic.
>York
I'm so so so sorry anon.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.