[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/ Arcade Cabinets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

Hey /diy/, so I want to build an arcade cabinet to run some older arcade style games (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Metal Slug, etc.). I was planning on using retropie on a Raspberry Pi B to run the games, an HDMI monitor, and then using the adafruit trinket pros to make joysticks. Frame would be made out of particle board or plywood. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? If so, is there anything I am missing?
>>
>>1167301
Use a CRT or don't even bother. HDMI lag is unbearable for gaming. I use VGA via adapter but haven't tested it on 3D gaming.
>>
>>1167301
first ask google then ask diy
get out
>>
>>1167301
May as well use a pi 3, it'll handle the emulators better, and it had built-in wifi and Bluetooth. Also has analog video output from the 3.5 mm jack, use pic related with a CART instead of an HDMI monitor.
>>
File: 1471980831648.png (675KB, 789x538px) Image search: [Google]
1471980831648.png
675KB, 789x538px
Get an old junker pc that you can run Maximus or hyperspin on, get a nice monitor and speakers and build the cab. I did mine for about £500 including wood, controls, audio and the screen. You can also double it up as a jukebox easily and run modern games like Injustice if you have a decent PC to use.
>>
File: 1492737752326.png (321KB, 372x539px) Image search: [Google]
1492737752326.png
321KB, 372x539px
>>1167373
Yeah, that's my backup plan

>>1167306
Pic related

>>1167305
Where is the lag coming from? Also, I would have to buy a HDMI to CRT adapter which I'm not too keen on.
>>
As >>1167373 said.

You can get a decent machine from Core Duo/2 Duo/Quad Duo/AMD x2/4 for nothing or something from First Gen i CPUs for dirt cheap. It doesn't take much to run emulators till you hit around PS2/GC/Wii.
>>
>>1167508
Problem with some adapters is that they are shit and/or its another thing to plug into an outlet.
>>
>>1167728
So would it be worth it just to buy an old junker PC and use an old monitor with Arduino control boards for joysticks?
>>
>>1167800
Yes sir, you don't need arduino controls either, you can buy cheap Chinese USB boards that work well (buy two in case one dies, I have my cab in a public space so it gets slammed a lot) usually bundled with the buttons and joysticks
>>
>>1167301

Where do I get roms?
>>
>>1167936
Are you asking where to illegally download roms?
(which could land people in legal trouble simply for answering)

Or are asking for public domain and abandonware stuff?
>>
>>1167936
normally when you want to find something on the internet you can use a search engine like google ever heard of it?
>>
File: IMG_20170426_123147.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170426_123147.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
i am finishing mine tomorrow, just needs a second coat of paint and its done.

i used mdf panels for the frame. if you do the same and use nails be sure to use thin nails and drill tiny holes first where you will be nailing or the wood panels will crack.

you can find button kits on ebay, they are pretty good and usually include joysticks.

if you use a laptop monitor you will need to buy a controller for your monitor on ebay to connect it to rasp pi.

and that's it. the rest is just putting things together

pic is my setup test
>>
>>1167936
Google
>>1167992
Please post pics when you're done. I was planning to use a countersink and some screws, but I haven't decided what type of material I want to use for the cabinet. What will you use to hold the LCD panel in place?
>>
>>1167992
Also, did you use a router to cut the side panels? I'm not sure how mdf would stand up to that, but it is nice and smooth.
>>
File: IMG_20170427_7806.jpg (124KB, 659x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170427_7806.jpg
124KB, 659x768px
Here's mine, covered in stickers, there's a keyboard tray underneath the control panel for ease of access when using it as a pc on our part.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.