[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Communication with a weather balloon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0300.jpg (667KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0300.jpg
667KB, 1520x2688px
A company in my area (atlantic canada) is putting on a competition involving a high altitude balloon. The aim is to collect info from the balloon while it's in the stratosphere, and bonus points are awarded if it can be done in real time.

Initially it was proposed that we communicate over the cell network, but I read somewhere that it's only good up to like 20000 ft. Later I stumbled upon XBee, and found that it can communicate up to ridiculous heights if the right equipment is used.

Ive done some googling over the past three days, and although the company provides all the supplies, I don't want the cost of all this stuff to be through the roof, else my team's proposal could be denied. I initially wanted to use a raspberry pi, but the adapter for the XBee board is like $150.00. So I found all the needed parts for an arduino, but then that would prevent us from using a raspberry pi sensor board that we found.

In short, I'm really fucking confused right now. I'm wondering if anyone has done this sort of thing before, and what they used for a setup. Any links online would also be appreciated.

Pic unrelated
>>
Fuck that xbee cheap crap. It's only good really for a couple hundred meters. Do your self a favor and have it communicate through on off keying on a cheap handheld radio. Those a re rebuilt for long range and will give you a decent data rate of few kilobaud
>>
And from my understanding the XBee can't be used alongside arduino sensors, otherwise I'd just so that.

Would I be able to connect an arduino to a raspberry pi so it can use that to communicate, and then have all the sensors attached to the rpi?
>>
>>1167213
Even if it had long range antennas? Or is that not possible?

I was thinking of doing something like that but wasn't sure if possible. Do you have anything off the top of your head that I should look up to do that? If not I'll look it up tomorrow
>>
>>1167215
Long range antenna = directional antenna.
Is it ok that you need to know where the balloon is?
>>
I would look into ubiquiti airmax equipment. Built for wireless isps, good pricepoint. Easy to deploy for point-to-point IP links.
>>
>>1167211
Sounds like there are a couple of people with good ideas here. For my own $0.02, I would suggest checking in to LiFi. That is, data sent over a laser beam.

I built a simple LiFi setup once and was able to transmit/receive stereo CD quality audio. I'm thinking set the laser transmitter up on the baloon and have the photodetector receiver on the ground. It shouldn't take too much optical power, maybe 5mW. Protip though, if you can use a telescope lens setup to expand the laser beam it will be a little easier to detect, but will require a little more optical power. Probably an 808nm IR led laser would be cheap and good. You can put a filter in front of the receiver to block noise from visible light, but any lens system on the laser output will require lenses designed for ir.
>>
I have done a bunch of these balloon flights, so the following is experience.

I have not tried XBee, but do not rule it out. Whilst some take the datasheet as gospel, you have to consider the context they are written for. I have designed and flown modules using <10mW ERP and have not missed a single gga sentence on flights (albeit with a low baud rate). Why? You have a superb line of sight between balloon and ground station. The datasheets for modules like Xbee and NTX2 (which I used on my first few flights) have a range on the datasheet of a couple of hundred meters only because the manufacturer think your gonna be using them through a bunch of walls, streets, etc etc. No such issue with balloons.

As for antennas, don't overthink it. I started out by making a 1/4 wavelength monopole with some radials and picked it up no problem. During one flight the module actually flipped upside down (so antenna pointing up) and I didn't miss a single sentence again. In fact, I only realised something happened after watching some video. So take fancy antennas with a pinch of salt.

I would suggest checking out HabHub - it's a big community of people who are doing this nearly every day. In fact, they have a very nice to use tracker, which allows other hams to receive position telemetry and upload it for you - that way if you lose tracking when you're chasing it for whatever reason, you'll still get updated. They also have an irc which is good for extra help.

I would say having a yagi for when you are recovering the balloon would be useful though, as you are fighting the terrain you are on.

What rasp pi sensor board are you looking at using? Chances are it is compatible with the arduino, might just not have a perfect form factor.
>>
Furthermore... You might want to look into LoRa, which is a long range low power platform for iot stuff. I know of at least one guy who has had a "chain" of nodes flying at the same time, acting as a network.

Lifi would be mega hard to do because the balloon shakes a lot. Even with some crazy good gimble, I just son't see how it is worthwhile (not saying impossible) trying to spend much time trying to get the precision and accuracy of such a setup. Try hitting a photodetector 40km away with a laser pen. Then imagine you're in 200mph winds.
>>
>>1167279
>>1167282

Wow thanks dude, this is a lot of info. I'll do some research as to what's best for us tomorrow, and get everyone else's opinion. I really appreciate it anon
>>
No worries. Keep us updated, sounds like a pretty cool project.
>>
APRS
>>
>>1167721
This. Also UHF
>>
I've tested 900 MHz XBee stuff, standard quarter wave dipole. Gets out to about a kilometer line-of-sight.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.