[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A bit of futurology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: body2.jpg (43KB, 535x290px) Image search: [Google]
body2.jpg
43KB, 535x290px
What trades do you think will be most demanded for the next 15 - 20 years? Do you expect any particular new one to pop out in the near future?
>>
Janitors.
Going to need a lot of people to clean up after millennials that dump their garbage on the streets and shit all over the stalls.
>>
>>1166075
>most demand
there will always be demand of everything, but i think battery technicians and robotics repairs will grow slowly
>>
>>1166083

>Robotics repairs

Do you mean pneumatic, hydraulic and electric maintenance or electronics and programming?
>>
>>1166089
yes
>>
Industrial/Commercial maintenance.

There will always be a need for plumbers and HVAC techs. The key is specializing in something profitable.

Industrial mechanics, who have a developed sense of programming, have a bright future. Leave the heavy lifting to the millwrights, because you can operate a computer. Nonetheless, understanding the functionality of moving pieces-parts, will get you far.
>>
>>1166075
Mandatory work that people can't live without. The economy will most likely head in one of two directions: replacing aging infrastructure en masse with new tech, or a weakening of paper money that triggers recession, which would probably kicked off by the euro going downhill.

In the former case, every large scale project will need the basics and they'll need them to be environmentally friendly like how the government says. The best gigs will go to the guys who make it just work and know the most up to date stuff that a herd of guatemalans pretending to be mexicans can't figure out.

In the latter case, nobody cares if there's a recession when it's the middle of winter, the heating is broken, the basement is flooding, there's mold in the ventilation and a health inspector is going to shut their asses down, the bridge is out, the train derailed, and the department of defense needs to build a missile silo before the Russians and Chinese do.
>>
>>1166231
Yuuuuuuup I started as an HVAC tech and got into building automation systems mostly by accident and got my contractor's license four years ago. On the automation side I'm mostly just replacing contactors and relays and on the HVAC side I have four pretty good techs and two helpers that can handle all the heavy lifting so I barely even work anymore. Controls and refrigeration keep me busy year round but in the summer season so much money rolls in I don't know what to do with it.
>>
>>1166075
Millwright
Electrician
Cabinet maker ( high end stuff)
I ront see the trades going away, anytime soon.

I work in automation ( production robotics, agv, etc) we are still a long way off.
>>
Farmers.
>>
Learn mechatronics, welding and machining (manual AND CNC).

Manual machining will remain vital to repairing equipment because of the much wider range manual lathes and mills can cover in the particular tasks required. Welding complements machining complements mechantronics.

Know one more skill than your competitor and you can be indispensable. Industrial maintenance and repair is nice because if you get and hoard specialty equipment knowledge you are difficult to replace.
>>
Solar and wind maintenance/repair technicians
>>
>>1166254

I'm envious. I'm currently a building operator/facility maintenance technician for about 100 government buildings. The buildings range from offices, shops, to zoo enclosures.

I got my foot in the door at a municipal government, by being a structural welder. My sense for things mechanical has taken me pretty far. To the point that I feel like I need to move forward.

I've never received a formal higher education, partially due to coming from a poorfag family. So I'm looking at a vocational associate's degree, at the local vo-tech. Industrial Maintenance would be the title on the ticket.

What gets me, is I'm always calling out contractors (not unlike yourself), to come out and perform more in-depth service. I would like to get to be in that position, something more specialized and sought after. Government employees don't get paid shiiiiit. However, government organizations are more than happy to shell out the monies to contractors.
>>
I am becoming a robotical engineer in my country just for that. Because more and more people seem to use robots. And there is more and more consumption in this world and factories have to keep up with these kinds of consumptions. Robots are the way to go.
>>
File: IMG_8530.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8530.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>1166075
Plumber, retards are never going to stop flushing things down the toilet that shouldn't be flushed down the toilet
>>
>>1166075
there are trades that are in demand now thanks to a generation of parents who told their kids they had to go to college and grow up to be a scientist or a doctor

roofing and tree trimming provides constant opportunity

>>1166373
>Plumber
dirty work but everybody poops
>>
I was planning on dropping out of college after this year and pursuing a trade so this thread is pretty relevant to me. Is Lineman work still in demand? Somebody told me it had been meme'd to the point where there are too many workers.
>>
>>1166380
Roofing? Tree trimming? That shit is for the niggers.

>>1166444
Go plumber. We are always going to need water.
>>
>>1166075
All things automation
>>
>>1166081
I am a millennial and I am apathetic to everything.
>>
>>1166496
Then start a buisness and have a few blacks or spics work for you
>>
>>1166444

Welding has been memed into oblivion. Every dumbass cut-up straight out of high school, wants to be a welder now.

Being a lineman is pretty cash, so long as you can deal with union work (and union non-work i.e. layoffs). T. Step-brother has been a lineman for 10 years, has more money than he knows what to do with, and a smoking hot wife.
>>
>>1166825
Lineman work has some costs to remember. That big storm in the next state over or the bad hurricane means you might be packing yourself up and hauling ass down there to work 20 hours a day and sleep in a tent or shed with six other filthy linemen. The payoff is the triple-double-emergency-rate pay you will be getting.
>>
This isn't a trade in the traditional sense, but I've found there to be a severe lack of people who can handle decent commercial art works.

I'm talking graphic design, but also tech. There's a huge gap right now between "art" designers and "tech" designers, and if you can find a way to fill that space, you'll be in work for a long time.

For example, I recently finished a large contract doing 3D projection mapping for a high end car manufacturer. That kind of thing hadn't been done a ton before, and the client was having a hell of a time finding somebody to do it.

If you were just a graphic designer, you couldn't handle the tech side of that, and if you were just a tech guy, you couldn't handle the art side of it.

I don't really know what to call this position, but I think there will be quite a bit of it going forward for people who are actually good at it.
>>
What area of carpentry should I look into (UK here) to be relatively secure?

I've done a bit of joinery & second fix work, but I don't have any quals, so I'm looking at which ones to go for.

Ultimately I want to work in heritage restoration and either do cabinet-making or home renovation on the side.

Structural carpentry? Joinery? Formwork? Shipwright? I've even heard of green carpentry?
>>
>>1166825
>Welding has been memed into oblivion. Every dumbass cut-up straight out of high school, wants to be a welder now.

It doesn't matter what they WANT and memes are irrelevant, because welding is demanding enough that classes have high washout rates (unless deliberately set up to pass students to keep funding) and if you can't pass a welding test you don't get hired.

If you can't see in all positions you can't weld in all positions (yes, head position affects vision when welding). If your coordination sucks you'll have problems because stick and TIG especially require fine motor coordination.

I know plenty of skilled welders making fat bank including a couple of my students. (I was an adjunct and ran a welding school toolroom, my eyes make overhead too inconsistent to hire on but I took the course to weld for myself so I position my work accordingly.)

Welding filters out the incapable. There's plenty of money in it and a solid career track (CWI, supervisor etc) if you are able to get good. Getting good takes a shitload of practice and since welding is a perishable skill you need to stay at it.
>>
>>1166090
Robotic repairs have been a thing so long, I know guys in their 60s that retired from that profession. It's far from new, get a job at a factory doing maintenance, and you'll be doing robotic repair.
>>
>>1166075
Havc, for the smart few, newer machines have their own diagnostics that are 93.9 percent accurate, cue in the hvac fags that can read led lights and a diagnostic code, easy money
>>
>>1168015
To further add to my samefagging, the diagnostics board will diagnose the fault and from my knowledge i can narrow down the problem, from my experience ive never ran into a false alarm, although not impossible, however so far all calls have been simple change and replace, except for one that had a year old high presurre cut out, human error would dictate over charge, but no, condenser was clogged with one year of old grass and caliche dust from the road being repaired, cleaned and all is good. Machine was right though, high pressure cut out
>>
>>1166825
>>1166829
when i was an engineering intern, the linemen whitehats (foremen) were making 200k+ a year. i know because i was dropping off their paychecks at their little trailer village.
>>
>>1166496
>Roofing? Tree trimming? That shit is for the niggers.
roofing maybe
>>
>>1168015
>>1168020

Hvac wholesalefag here.

You would be surprised at the amount of warranty parts and equipment that have no real faults. Install error by not following factory recommended instructions cause techs to change pressure switches because "this brand new furnace is flashing a 3 code. I need Both pressure switches" of course we warranty it, but when the new ones fail and the cistomer calls tech support, they find out they can't vent a 120K furnace 40 feet with 8 elbows. Also the house is 1800 square feet and the guy who sold it sized it that way because it is two stories and the 5 ton blower is definitely needed.

OP, before getting into HVAC, make sure:

1. You are not a complete idiot.
2. Able to handle homeowners. They can be the world's dumbest creatures and most aggravating to deal with.

If you meet those, you are set. I see contractors who do about $150K in business with us who consistently have issues and get all kinds of negitave feedback, but continue to make money. So if you get about a years worth of experience, fuck it, get a truck, a shop, and put in cheap shit like goodman, ruud, or ameristar. Hire high school dropouts who get training through your entire year's worth of experience and just wing it. Trust me, you'll do just fine.

Tl;dr: don't bother reading. Hvac is easy to get into and will be around awhile. Also guys at the parts counter where I work start at $16/hr and make up to $24/hr.
>>
>>1168043
Yeah. Tree trimming is for Mexicans.
>>
>>1166081
I am just ahead of the millennial range and already working as a custodian.. its worse with the new generation coming up now.
>>
>>1166081
Great answer m8
>>
>>1166089
Pneumatic and hydraulic are really both mechanical. Most people I see repairing robots are electricians and mechanics/machinists. The odd time the program fucks up a technologist will come by to take a look at the code.
>>
>>1166496
Id rather do tree or roof work over playing in shit any day. You're apparently a nigger
>>
>>1166825
I'm in school for welding now and it fucking sucks because the teacher is a little dick, temperamental, no welding ass cunt.
I've not learned a gosh darn thing other than welding in the summer is going to be very fucking miserable and welding alone is already boring
>>
>>1167118
It's funny how millennials are crying because "the robots are going to take our jerbs!" yet automation and robots have been around for fucking years. Anyone who actually works with robots knows that we are still a fucking far ways away from complete manufacturing automation.
>>
>>1167117
My school is this way with literally all the trades. The teachers are encouraged to pass students even if they are worthless but it doesn't help the students any because their lack of knowledge or skill will show when applying for a job. The welding teacher doesn't even know how to weld himself but he likes to tell people how to. Also they have a auto body class but the industry has far surpassed the teachers knowledge. His skills for the most part are still in the 80s. He's been making some effort though to try and catch up with the new technologies and procedures unlike the dumb fuck retarded ass weld instructor. Hell, even the hvac teacher admitted there's a lot of stuff that progressed in the last eight years that he hasnt learned yet
>>
>>1168231
>It's funny how millennials are crying because "the robots are going to take our jerbs!"

They ARE going to take your jobs
Just because you are working in a factory that has old automation from the 80s doesnt change reality.
Its expensive and not cost effective to retrofit existing factories.

There are straight blackout factories in use today in china. Modern automation is hugely different.

If the proposed ideas to bring factories back to the US with tarifs and such actually happen, large companies arent going to just use old factories in the USA. They are going to build brand new factories using automation. Its not cost effective to be paying huge wages to a lot of people when you can have a small group run robots which eventually pay for themselves.

It doesnt have to be "complete" manufacturing automation. It has to do with cutting 90% of the jobs out of the factory.
>>
As always mechanics will be in demand with a heavy side order of electrical diagnostic skills.
>>
>>1168246
> They ARE going to take your jobs
not when I am the guy installing these robots
>>
>What trades do you think will be most demanded for the next 15 - 20 years?

Electricians
Plumbers, steamfitters, pipefitters
Cabel Splicers/Linemen
HVAC techs
anything dealing with industrial and commercial
>>
>>1168225
For the price I get paid to play in shit I could pay two of you. Sorry you have girl parts and like trees more than money.
>>
>>1168055
To add to these dubs,
Hvac gets very little recognition, which in tirn doesnt have a bunch of fags bandwagoning, you also get to learn a small amounts from all trades, the thing is, do not cut corners, its a lucrative trade, however, dont be a nigger and low ball your labor, it affects the tradd as a whole and brings wages down, be fair but also charge what is fair, not all money is good money. And like this fag said, homeowners that like to google are a hassle, they dont inderstand overhead or the money it cost to maintain a work vehicle or an emoyee, if they want cheap, charge the service fee and have them get fucked my a hack, let them learn why pros charge what they charge
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.