[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lubricating a Bearing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

How do I lubricate this kind of bearing?

>608z bearing

I bought a fidget spinner and this bearing is making squeaking sounds whenever I spin it.
>>
>>1165501
Try removing the plating
>>
>>1165508
If I remove the plating, I won't be able to put itback on.
>>
This is what you get for buying chinese toys
>>
replace them, they are less than a dollar a piece
>>
Can't you just squirt oil on all the crevices or submerge it until oil creeps into the balls?
>>
>>1165501
Technically the shield will pop in and out, but in practice that isn't always the case.

Might not matter in a fidget spinner, but the balls/races are likely already damaged to some extent and oil won't fix that.
>>
>>1165501
when in doubt, use WD40, wether it would work or not, i don't know
>>
>>1165568
>Can't you just squirt oil on all the crevices or submerge it
You can. You shouldn't.
>until oil creeps into the balls?
wat
>>
>>1165589
>when in doubt, use WD40
when in doubt, fuck shit up.
WD40 is not a lubricant.
>>
>>1165501
>How do I lubricate this kind of bearing?
With grease. That appears to be a sealed or shielded bearing. They are not meant to be relubricated after they leave the factory. If it is making noise it is defective. Replace it.

>>1165508
Don't do this.

>>1165517
Do this.

>>1165568
Do not lubricate this type of bearing with oil. It will leak out. It will also mix with the grease already inside the bearing and make sludge. It's a bad idea all around.

>>1165589
This person is an idiot. Their suggestion will do more harm than good.
>>
>>1165589
>WD40
Anyone that uses that garbage for anything should just end themselves
>>
>>1165594
>If it is making noise it is defective. Replace it.
Honestly, it depends on the noise. Given these are made for aspies, he may be complaining about the sound of a ball momentarily sliding against the cage. That's normal.
Any binding, or the sound of the races scraping is not. I'm guessing that's not it tho, or he'd be complaining it feels funny too.
>>
>>1165595

I use it as cutting oil.
>>
>>1165610
that it's good for, in a pinch anyway.
>>
>>1165501
Soak in wd40
Let dry.
It's will be home dry and will spin more freely, but will be rattly as hell.
Use light oil or graphite lube in it. Skateboarders do this all the time, its not ideal for bearings but for old tired ones it makes them work great again for a while till they break
>>
File: pasteycakes.jpg (47KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
pasteycakes.jpg
47KB, 425x340px
>>1165501
>hey guiz how do i fix a shielded/sealed $2.00 bearing. I'm not buying a new one, this board is /diy/ you cuck.
>>
>>1165613
>Soak in wd40
>Let dry.
Might as well just set the fucking thing on fire.
Why is /diy/ in love with stupid fixes that 'work' for about 15 minutes but leave the parts fucked up forever? It's like you people hate doing anything right.
>>
I'm looking to replace the 2 thrust guide bearings for a newly acquired Atlas 912 bandsaw. Where should I purchase them /diy/ gods?
>>
>>1165594
/thread

>>1165596
No, just no. Using non-optimal ball bearings is just a fucking pain.
no
>>
>>1165595
You can use that shit for cleaning bearings, and bicycle chains and such, or removing those annoying paper labels from almost anything.
>>
>>1165629
Really?
Using a penetrant that will remove the old grease and letting it dry will "fuck it up forever"?

I literally doesnt hurt the bearing one bit, you then pop the side off and repack it with grease if you want to do it "right".

If you just lightly oil it, itll spin twice as fast and for twice as long.
In an application where there is a load being applied to the bearing, it could wear faster.

In a fidget spinner, itll just make it work way better and get rid of the squeak.

Not sure exactly what you think these are made of. Its just a metal race with metal ball bearings being held in with some plastic. Thats it. How is WD 40 going to hurt it?
>>
>>1165613
>light oil
No, bearings should always be lubricated with a very heavy and sticky lubricant, light oil isn't much better than no lubrication. If you don't care about replacing bearing every so often it doesn't matter that much indeed. Using bearings till they break is just plain retarded.
>>
>>1165640
>a very heavy and sticky lubricant

Sounds like it would work great for OPs application
>>
>>1165501
Replace it with a new one, retard. Bearings are something you should always replace if there is something wrong with them.
>>
>>1165595
Back in highschool I used turpentine to clean my skateboard bearings and w40 to grease it them up.
>>
>>1165629
>>1165634
>>1165640
>>1165649
These rules are appropriate for bearings under load.

As
>>1165638
points out, a fidget-spinner is very low load for the bearing it would contain. Graphite or light oil, even kerosene, could well work here.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1119039384_oipk.jpg (146KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1119039384_oipk.jpg
146KB, 800x536px
>google fidget spinner thinking it was somekind of tool or machine
>find out its a toy that just spins

I feel violated fuck the aspie who posted this in the first place, how was your first thought not to pour some light oil inbetween the seals
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Muy simple.. Very simple.
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>1165638
>Using a penetrant that will remove the old grease and letting it dry will "fuck it up forever"?
Using a penetrant might be fine. WD40 isn't a penetrant. It leaves behind residue that *will* polymerize.
>>
>>1165591
Thank you for speaking the truth.
>>
>>1165672
>the aspie who posted this in the first place,

"Manufacturers claim that the gadgets aren’t just fun to play with, but also help people with ADHD, anxiety, autism and various other conditions."

Aspie therapy isn't listed but I'm sure it falls under the "various other conditions"
>>
File: Bones_speed_cream_grande.jpg (36KB, 472x493px) Image search: [Google]
Bones_speed_cream_grande.jpg
36KB, 472x493px
Using WD40 is so wrong. That thing is a Water Displacer

This is what skaters use.
But buying a new set of bearings is cheaper really
>>
>>1165501
The answer is always white lithium grease. Fucks sake guys
>>
>>1165501
Wait, what hte fuck are fidget spinners?

Arent kids actually told not to fidget?

Why would anyone encourage such behaviour
>>
>>1165678
Seriously this.
I still have BMX wheel bearings from the 80's.
Occasional maintenance and they spin better than the Chinese garbage available today.
Proper care and they will last a lifetime.
>pop off cover.
>clean out old grease with whatever solvent is handy
>repack with grease (I use automotive wheel bearing grease, high temp/high pressure)
>reinstall cover.
>>
>>1165801
>This is what skaters use.

Skateboarders are retarded and buy anything with a skateboard brand logo on it
>>
>>1165501
>fidget spinner

Ritalin seems to work best.
>>
its for a hand fidget, just put some oil on it

if it were for a piece of machinery then yeah replace it, but its not so unless you have spares (who doesnt have 608 bearing on hand?)
>>
>>1165678
i do this all the time too. pop it open, clean with wd40, dry thoroughly, pack with grease, pop it shut.
>>
>>1166252

Reeeeeeee! You mentioned using WD-40 for something that is NOT water displacing! It's part of the NAME for Christ's sake! Reeeeee!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.