[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any glassblowers on /diy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Goat_bottle.jpg (46KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Goat_bottle.jpg
46KB, 540x960px
Any glassblowers on /diy/?
>>
>>1165476
Very nice op. There is one in my small town turns out. He sells pupes to head shops in the city. Sadly he wishes to remain anonymous and i have yet to discover who it is. The goal is to learn this craft and gain trust while keeping the secret.

I have a few suspicions but even if i solve the case i akin it to super heros.

Some just want left alone...

I have done nothing to deserve glass blowing classes and can pay nothing in return. Oh well. There is youtube if i really need.

Its just that so many older dudes are dying with skills and no apprentice.

There is shit that youtube just cannot teach
>>
>>1165476
I've blown people for glass before yes.
>>
>>1165476
Csn you make me a bong op?
>>
Yes, there's a couple of us flameworkers that post from time to time.
>>
Artistic glassblowing and lampworking is much more popular and accessible than it has been in the past, I don't think its at risk of dying out.

Scientific blowing is much more difficult and seems likely to disappear in 20-30 years.
>>
>>1165487
Just go hang around some hippies, go to some festivals. You will find what you are looking for... Just watched some blowing this weekend while tripping and rolling. Beautiful stuff...
>>
>>1165488
kek
>>
>>1166148
i'm almost 40 and can furnace work. its dying because years ago the chinese tanked muranos glass market by government subsidizing art glass. even down to glass marbles in paint cans. you can order as much chinese glass as you can stand and have it shipped to the states cheaper than an american can turn the gas on. nevermind environmental regulations etc. they didn't stop with murano though. if you sell art glass for profit you are 50% good salesman and 50% artist. at a hobby level it takes a couple years to get good if you are ever going to get good at furnaced worked glass. once you know what you are doing it cost upward of $35 to rent shop time. tools, color, assistance cost more.

most glass classes are a good deal in the grand scheme of things.

i know very little about torch worked glass. and it does seem to be growing and more available than before.
>>
>>1165476
I tried blowing glass once, kept getting cuts in my mouth so I stopped.
>>
>>1165476
i used to blow boro with a torch, lemme know if you have any questions
>>
>>1166148
kek, that is the stupidest thing i have heard.
scientific glassblowing is important for specific low quantity lab gear that is not justified by automation
>>
>>1167372
I'm not saying there is no demand, I'm saying that its damn near impossible to learn and a large number of them are retiring/dying.
>>
>>1166148
Since you mentioned scientific blowing, do any of you dudes know how to make gas discharge tubes / crts, and if it's doable for a /diy/er? Just how the fuck do you fill a vacuum tube with like 10^-6 bars of gas?
>>
>>1167815
Furnace worker guy here. You would buy a premade glass tube probably from china and chuck it a glass lathe. You tube that part. And smush the place you want smaller. You will not find a lathe most likely. Also way harder than making a bong which most people cant.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.