[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found this aluminium canteen while clearing some weeds. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

I found this aluminium canteen while clearing some weeds.

How would I go about cleaning it up?
>>
>>1165362
I just looked the brand up, and apparently, there is a demand for these canteens in Japan for some reason.

I'd probably use some dish soap and an old toothbrush or sponge to clean the outside, Let it soak in some soapy water for a bit. Then, see if you can remove the cap and the latch mechanism. Use some cider vinegar to get any rust off,. Let rusty parts soak for roughly an hour, and then remove the rest with either sand paper or a wire brush. Do not soak it overnight, because sometimes it makes it worse. You could probably replace the rubber with a new silicone o-ring.

I'm not sure how you'd properly clean out the inside or how you'd get that dent out.. Maybe a brush and some disinfectant?
>>
>>1165362
That's where my old piss bottle went.
>>
>>1165362
Soap and water.
>>
>>1165362
Use coca cola. Leave it in a few litres for a few hours.
>>
>>1165362
borax
>>
>>1165375
Perhaps figure out how to get a hydraulic fitting in the end and use water to pressurize the bottle until you get the dent out. You may need to turn a special coupling on a lathe, if you can't find a fitting at the homedepo or something
>>
>>1166750
Not OP but do you think this could be achieved by fitting a bicycle pump into the mouth (with a seal of course) and pumping that way? Would it garner up enough pressure to bend aluminum?
>>
>>1166757
Given thin enough aluminum and enough surface area, perhaps, but I somewhat doubt it. I don't do a lot of bike tire filling, but I thought manual pumps could only go up to around 70 or so PSI. My guess is it would require somewhere around 150 psi.
>>
>>1166766
I'm no mechanical engineer though, they would probably know
>>
>>1165362
Fill it half way full of drano and then close the lid and shake with both hands
>>
>>1166766
If i was OP i would just thread a tire valve to it. Use real air. ~120psi from most basic ones.
>>
>>1166863
Air means potential for explosion, just be sure to take proper precautions. Perhaps fill bottle with water first, then pump air on top of it.
>>
Try filling with water, cap it and toss in the freezer. monitor it every 10 minutes to control expansion rate, get ready to pull quickly and put in sink to stop the freezing..

we did this a lot with old 2 stroke pipes to knock the dents out, works well..

just make sure you monitor it, because ice is powerful and that aluminum could crack.
>>
>>1166815
good way to fuck shit up

might cause gas release, and you'll need to wash it out many many times.

do not put drano into something you will drink out of.
>>
>>1167146
Ice expansion takes the path of least resistance, and something tells me the lid isn't as secure as that dent. Spooky method
>>
>>1167142
Making it a projectile. Lol yeah i would for sure keep that thing away from u.
>>
>>1167168

you're right, however we had great success with 2 stroke pipes and having plastic wrap (to seal) and gorilla tape to hold it all in.

its sketchy, i'll be the first to admit that, but honestly if you are watching it closely it works pretty well.

what you will/may notice is the ice actually forms around the outer shell first.. that narrow pinch point at the mouth of the bottle will actually get a thicker "plug" of ice and as the rest of the ice freezes, it will push it outwards in all directions..
>>
>>1167146
This is what I was thinking too...a hell of a lot safer than turning the thing into a bomb by pressurizing it.
>>
>>1167146
This guy knows his shit, I did this with an old aluminum water bottle, it had a deep dent, now it's like 1/4th of its original size.
>>
>>1167146
> in the sink
with warm water or just leave it there to defreeze at room temp?
>>
>>1165376
kek
>>
>>1167170
Keep it upright numbnuts. It's not going to go anywhere if you only have a cubic inch of air or so.
>>
>>1165362
If you plan to sell it then don't clean it
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.