[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the manual production of a tank be feasible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: shrekstruper.png (99KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
shrekstruper.png
99KB, 320x320px
>pic unrelated
What I have in mind is a Tiger I tank from the ww2 era. Some backround history of this machine, well it began development in 1937, and prototypes were finished in 1942. Early models were deployed in various fronts of the war in that same year.
Now lets get to business. This tank weighed 57 tons of pure German Krupp steel. Obviously I wont have access to this, so what steel am I looking to use? I dont know much about steel anyways, so what might I need to fabricate the correct plates and links? What do I need to actually put them together? Not a basic welding kit I'd assume...
>How much am I looking to spend, what exactly would I need when it comes to attempting to create such heavy machinery.
The front plate on this was 11 cm thick historically, and I believe that is the thickest plate on the tank. Also, right now I'm mainly concerned about the chassis and armor, general shape - etc. I'll worry about tracks, transmission and an engine with that kind of power later.
>>
I'm quite sure you have neither the skill, connections or money to make this project happen.
>>
>>1164878
Likely extremely true. Then again, topic suggests feasible, not if I myself should do it but I totally get you.
>>
>>1164873

You will never do this.

But you'd probably be using a mix of regular mild and AR-series steel.

Bear in mind that, even if it was entirely mild steel, you're still looking at nearly $30,000 just for the metal. AR steel will be more expensive. And this doesn't account for all the additional manufacturing costs for all the parts that aren't simple plates.
>>
>>1164882
Two million USD minimum. Probably more.
>>
>>1164873
Ask the russians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlv6iuLT6-s
>>
>>1164886
You might be the most kind person I've ever seen on 4chan

If someone makes a diy tank on this fucked board, I'll be the first test subject for the main gun

>>1164873
What are you going to make it out of, a shipping container and some pvc?
>>
>>1164873
1. Don't start with literally the most over engineered, complicated, and meme tank of the entire war.
2. If you are even asking this, you do not have the money, experience, and equipment needed to even begin a project on this scale.
3. Go buy a slav shit bmp from some Ukrainian depot instead. You won't be able to use the gun anyway so you'd actually get your monies worth out of a faster, more practical vehicle that has millions of spare parts. The best part is you wouldn't even need to build it.
>>
File: 1483716859247.gif (1MB, 219x199px) Image search: [Google]
1483716859247.gif
1MB, 219x199px
>>1164873
Three scenarios:

Building a tank-shaped vehicle using mild steel and modern innards. Pyrotechnic weapons. Big, involved project for one person, but not particularly difficult by upper-end DIY standards. Not Bunkerbro-level. Probably a few tens of thousands of dollars for the tank materials and a few tens of thousands more to build/acquire and equip the equivalent of a small custom fab shop.

Building a functionally and aesthetically similar tank from modern materials and mechanics. More expensive materials, more expensive equipment to handle full-thickness armor (regular industrial grade will do, so it's not outrageous). Lots of regulatory hurdles for working weapons. Making the cannon yourself would be a bitch and a half, and the machinery required might cost more than the rest of the project combined. Doable but maybe around an order of magnitude more expensive. Worthy of Internet fame and a place in the /diy/ pantheon. But worthless in combat against even the cold-war era tanks a third world dictator keeps around for show.

Whole-hog historically accurate recreation. The infrastructure that produced Hitler's tanks is gone, and modern successors are not quite the same even when doing similar processes. Rebuild the material processing and manufacturing infrastructure to produce parts that match the original spec. A billion dollars might do it, but the work involved represents several man-lifetimes, so hiring labor puts it rather outside the realm of doing it yourself.
>>
>>1164873
>>>1164873
>What are you going to make it out of, a shipping container and some pvc?
If I attempted this thats probably what It'd cone close too.
>>
1. Buy a bulldozer
2. Mount a turret on it
3. Profit
>>
File: killdozer.jpg (480KB, 1400x1191px) Image search: [Google]
killdozer.jpg
480KB, 1400x1191px
>you will never do this...blah blah blah

OP is posting about a though experiment for feasibility. That's a far cry from "hey guise i found this trash, what can I make with it, i was thinking maybe a solar panel but i have no skills and no tools!?"
>>
>>1165066
dat sink doe
>>
>>1165066
Killdozers are cool and all but they can't really match up the speed of a proper drive train. Hydraulics heat up quite fast in those.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.