[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any machinist's out there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: MILLPWR_G2_JR.jpg (205KB, 580x312px) Image search: [Google]
MILLPWR_G2_JR.jpg
205KB, 580x312px
Any machinist's out there?
>>
Looking for some input about depth of cut and the such
>>
>>1164608
You're probably going to have to be more specific
>>
Do you want an actual machinist or a cnc button pusher?
>>
Actual machinist. What do you use to calculate depth of cut? Or is there a calculation? All through trade school and my few years of machining, I've never come across any specific answer about figuring depth of cut.
>>
>>1164628
Cutting tool catalogues usually contain the starting values for feeds, speeds & Ap / Ae.
>>
>>1164582
machinist's what?
>>
>>1164672
Luck.
>>
>>1164628
FULL DEPTH MAX SPEED MAX FEED
ANY TOOL ANY MATERIAL ANY DIRECTION
>>
>>1164677
I second this. Works for me every time
>>
>>1164608
max speed

feed rate is the tool diameter in IPS, depth of cut is half the tool diameter.

works for me.
>>
>>1164628
You use logic and experience. There's so many variables to depth of cut there's no real formula. You can run a quarter inch endmill at 20 inches a minute an inch deep in plastic but try that with steel and you'll snap it.

>>1164839
What the fuck kind of feed rate formula is that? Is all you cut plastic?
>>
I usually just use the sfm that the manufacturer recommends for whatever material I'm working on. Start with a small depth of cut and see what happens, increase accordingly for productivity's sake.
>>
>>1164582
I would like to be
But I cant just up and go take a college course
And I cant just buy a bridgeport and stick it in my house

Ive thought about buying a G0704 and CNCing it, but I just cant imagine dumping the same amount of money into a grizzly as I would into a real bridgeport.

Its an expensive hobby
>>
>>1164608
Take the free online sandvik training course. You just sign up and then it has this whole thing you can go through. Its pretty insightful
http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/services/education/pages/e-learning.aspx
>>
File: simpsons milhouse thrillhouse.jpg (64KB, 298x284px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons milhouse thrillhouse.jpg
64KB, 298x284px
>>1164839
>feed rate is the tool diameter in IPS, depth of cut is half the tool diameter.

>fly cutting at 240in/min and 2" DOC
>>
File: CNC boner.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
CNC boner.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1164623

>get job as machine operator
>when people ask when i do for a ilving i tell them i am a CNC machine operator
>they look confused
>explain to them when it is
>after a year of this i just tell people i am a machinist
>now every time someone asks and i tell them i am a machinist because i dont want to spend another 20 mins explaining to them there is always a real machinist who chews me out for lying about what i do.

I got to the point where i could go in and write programs, alter speeds and feeds and knew a lot of the coding to the machines.

But im stuck living where im living because my and my wifes family have us anchored down. but fuck me i would love to move out of the hellhole that is IL and get a job as a real machinist.
>>
Tool and Die Maker- the thinking mans machinist

Mold Maker- the thinking mans tool and die

i hate days where i have to make chips or measure something
>>
File: Mechanist.png (1MB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mechanist.png
1MB, 1400x1000px
>>1164582
>>
>>1164858
>Is all you cut plastic?

the max speed on the 3 axis CNC i use is 9000 rpm. i've milled mild steels with that method.

there was an actual formula i learned in engineering school, but the greybeard at my shop just told me to use>>1164839
unless i was doing something exotic. haven't had any problems so far.
>>
>>1165068
>lemme run this 1/2" endmill at 50ipm at 1/4"DoC
>>
>>1165205

>man, this nitronic 60 cuts like butter...
>>
>>1164582
I only do prototype machining and CAM programming. I have yet to bother getting trained on CNC machine operation. I'd rather turn cranks on the manual knee mill.
>>
>>1165315
>prototype machining and CAM programming

how do I into this?
>>
>>1164608
Tool manufacturer websites are great, though I get most of my feeds directly from the catalog in the workshop.

Try WNT they are quite new user friendly or seco
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.