[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Carpet Protector

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: RIMG2129-e1420593642771.jpg (420KB, 1500x1046px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG2129-e1420593642771.jpg
420KB, 1500x1046px
I'm moving into a new apartment and as a standard internet addict, I will spend 95% of my life in the glow of monitors cursing the sun and birds out side my windows.

Standard carpet protectors are too small, so what I can I diy to protect the carpet against my slovenly lifestyle?

I was thinking getting like a box of wood flooring and gluing it to a tough rug. Not sure it would hold up to my fat ass rolling a chair across it. Maybe some rivets?
>>
File: Diy-Computer-Chair-Mat.jpg (142KB, 1248x835px) Image search: [Google]
Diy-Computer-Chair-Mat.jpg
142KB, 1248x835px
>>1164244
Not DIY but I bought one of these a few years back and it's held up far better than any of the plastic ones I ever had. Plastic would hold up for less than a year before it got divots, maybe a few more months before it started cracking to pieces entirely. This thing has held up and I'd def buy again
>>
>>1164244
Masonite maybe? Comes in 4x8 sheets. You could use a bare piece if that's big enough, or glue flooring to a couple sheets laid together
>>
>>1164244

If you want something cheap and almost completely indestructible, try cement board.

Personally, I screwed a piece of cheap 3/8" plywood to the floor and covered it with a rubber mat.
>>
Thank you for the ideas.
I like that idea of something that can roll up, but plywood with something on it might be the way to go. Assuming I don't sub off my toes.
>>
Depending on the area you want to cover I'd get two layers of 3/8 ply and glue/staple them perpindicular to each other to create a floating subfloor. If you're worried about nailing through carpet I'd put 4x4x1 spacers every foot or so between your new subfloor and the existing.

From there I'd install whatever flooring materials you like athletically and will be durable. Would probably lay some foam board or insulation between your floating subfloor and the existing floor spacers as well to try and stop sound and bugs/critters.
>>
>>1164293
I overthought that one; On second thought, forget the spacers and run some 2x1 or 4x1 boards underneath the plywood.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170420-000518.png (83KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170420-000518.png
83KB, 720x1280px
>>1164244
How about a sheet metal adhered to 1/2" plywood?
>>
>>1164378
that would be solid as fuck, but also pretty damn expensive for a larger mat. Not to mention you would probably want to do something about the edges to prevent socks or feet from accidentally getting sliced open.

Prolly be cheaper easier, and and more practical to take a sheet of plywood, and throw can of kilz on it
>>
>>1164387

>expensive

Stop buying metal from retailers. Home Depot and Lowe's prices on all raw metal stock is positively outrageous.

I just bought a 4x10 sheet of 18 gauge. Little over $60 after tax. Granted, you there are transportation considerations when buying at that quantity, but they usually won't charge too much to make a couple cuts with the hydraulic shear.
>>
Lose weight
>>
>>1164270
Sacrificial MDF, Masonite, or thin plywood hotglued to the floor is a good subitute, as long as you dont mind the look, or will adapt the material to suit.

The major advantages are

Hard wearing, dont need to replace as a tennant,

and easy to remove when it's time to go
>>
Cheap linoleum glued to piece of plywood. Cut to size.
>>
>>1164449
>hotglued to the floor is a good subitute,

>I want to protect the flooring
>Hot glue

Pick one.
>>
>>1164398
That's not really the major issue. Chairs tend to drip grease and crush the carpet.

Also, I'll take the bait. I'm down 4 belt sizes in the past year. Probably more when I bother getting new pants.
>>
>>1164698
Sort yourself out.
>>
uline has them up to 72 x 96", how is that too small
>>
>>1164698
>spending 95% of your life on the computer
>losing weight at the same time
>>
>>1164703
Pls no bully. I have bad genetics.
>>
>>1164703
What is "Lowered Calorie Intake"?
95% was hyperbole

Why am I arguing on the internet? Eat a dick, Hitler.
>>
>>1164747
>obese cunt uses Hitler as an insult
>>
>>1164747
its actually really hard and makes you feel like trash cutting your calories while living a sedentary lifestyle

good luck regardless
>>
>>1164244
Get a rug.
>>
Here. I just saved your life. Thank me later.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.