[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to donate a shop tool?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: radial arm saw.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
radial arm saw.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
I have a Craftsman radial arm saw that I want to donate. I checked with Habitat for Humanity. They don't want radial arm saws. What do you suggest?
>>
Donate it to me ill take it
>>
>>1164079
If you are in California, you could drive by and pick it up. Does that work for you?
>>
>>1164078
See if its on the recall list
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

If it is, recall it and make some money
Otherwise throw it away. You dont want anyone actually using that piece of garbage
>>
Check for local makerspaces, or start a tool library.
>>
File: F0CL0Y4FRD80G60.MEDIUM[1].jpg (48KB, 399x317px) Image search: [Google]
F0CL0Y4FRD80G60.MEDIUM[1].jpg
48KB, 399x317px
>>1164078
Craftsman radial arm saws were made by two companies: Emerson (early) and Ryobi (late). 100% of the Ryobi saws were complete garbage. If it is a Ryobi just scrap it.

90% of the Emerson saws were complete garbage. If the saw you have is like your picture, you have a garbage saw. You can probably reuse the motor for something useful or you can try and get the recall payment. If it looks like my picture, then it is very old and actually decent. 'Decent', not good.

Those later Craftsman piles of shit basically ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw. They were inaccurate, hard to calibrate, lost calibration if you sneezed on them, were underpowered, and dangerous. Delta and DeWalt made saws that were an order of magnitude better, but most people were unwilling to spend the money for good tools. When Delta developed the cheap miter saw it was basically the end of consumer grade radial arm saws. Commercial models are still available, though.
>>
My dad used to have one of those saws. A craftsman or something. It never really could cut square and ours was extra dangerous to use because my dad read somewhere that attaching a bungie to the carriage to make it automatically retract was a good idea but in reality it made using the tool a bit like playing russian roulette. God I hated that thing.
>>
>>1164084
Thank you. It is on the list.
>>
>>1164267
>basically ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw

No single brand ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw
Old timers saw the limitations of the saws and bought other tools accordingly.
The inherent design of a radial arm saw is why there arent people buying a bunch of radial arm saws
>>
>>1164285
Nah brah, nah. The main reason the radial arm saw went away was the miter saw. Not because it was better, but because it was cheaper.

The reason they mounted the motor on an arm in the first place was because of the weight and size of old motors. When motors started to shrink you saw the development of the first miter saws. They couldn't cut compound miters and could only handle material a few inches thick at first, but they were a start. By the time the sliding compound miter saw came about it was over for the radial arm saw in its main task. They can do a lot more then miters, though.

See this monster? They would mount radial arm saws on trailers to take them to job sites. The Comet saw could be bought from the factory with a trailer. Picture related is a DeWalt. They were heavy and used a lot of cast steel. They were accurate, powerful and versatile. They also cost money and even the smaller ones benefited from a two man lift. The portable miter saw just ate that portion of the pie. Can a miter saw rip wood? Route? Dado? Disc or drum sand? Bore? Fuck no. You can do all that on a radial arm saw, though, and it is as easy as changing the blade.

>No single brand ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw
Name 3 makers of radial arm saws not already mentioned (Delta, DeWalt, Comet, Emerson/Craftsman, Ryobi/Ridgid). Outside of Powr-Kraft (Montgomery Wards), which just resold other companies tools like Craftsman, I bet you'd have to google it. Deltas and DeWalts are rock solid saws. No damage to the rep there. Craftsman was by far the biggest seller of radial arm saws to the general public. Outside of the Model 100 pictured above they were utter garbage. The whole idea that radial arm saws are dangerous and inaccurate it because of them. No other brand has that issue. All of Craftsman's later Emerson shop tools were shit.
>>
>>1164303

>All of Craftsman's later Emerson shop tools were shit.

Well, I probably wouldn't say that...I bought a brand new Craftsmen tablesaw about 1992, and after I installed a 52" unifence it was fine...
>>
>>1164303
>Can a miter saw rip wood? Route? Dado? Disc or drum sand? Bore? Fuck no. You can do all that on a radial arm saw, though, and it is as easy as changing the blade.

Ah, the old "shopsmith marketing"
Throw a whole bunch of shit at the wall to sell your product to a homeowner.

If it truly did those things well, they would still be around.
>>
>>1164081
Not him but interested. What part of California?
>>
>>1164331
>If it truly did those things well, they would still be around.

http://www.originalsaw.com/
They are basically DeWalt's old radial arm saw division. They make wood and metal cutting radial arm saws based on DeWalt's original designs. DeWalt invented the radial arm saw and they are still the most solid designs.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Radial-Arm-Saw-10-and-12-49G998
Taiwanese. Dayton is a division of Grainger last I heard.

https://woodworker.com/14-radial-arm-saw-4-12hp-3ph-230v-mssu-148-256.asp?search=radial%20arm%20saw&searchmode=2

Hell, even Sears is still trying to sell radial arm saws. 3 horsepower at 110 volts no less. IIRC it is a TTI tool. AKA Ryobi/Milwaukee.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-3-hp-10inch-radial-arm-saw/p-00922010000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13
>>
>>1164084
> http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
> Some consumers have contacted the blade or have been hit by wood kicked back by the saws, resulting in amputations, fractures and lacerations.

Damn son.
>>
>>1164078
I work at a University that has a good theater program but the workshop is insanely under funded. I would try local High Schools or Colleges. Can't imagine why they wouldn't take it if it works, plus donating to a school is a decent Tax wrote off. Win - win imo.
>>
>>1164440
This, either give it to a highschool or put it up on Craigslist/Facebook, give it to a local workspace or something.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.