[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in the money??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

So, I've found a bunch of these IC holder things. There is a 95% chance that the pins are just gold plated, but they might be pure gold.

Is there any good way I can check for myself? I don't have any nitric or sulfuric acid. Ive tried dragging one along some glass and it doesn't scratch, so its hardness is consistent with gold...

And if they are gold, what should I do with them??
>>
>they might be pure gold
No, just no. If the base metal is yellow, you can expect it to be brass.
>>
>>1164006
there are zero application for solid gold machined ic extension pins
>>
>>1164006
Gold is too soft to make pins out of but it could be gold plated. You would have to remove it chemically and probably wouldn't be profitable.

>>1164014
Kys
>>
They're not pure gold. You can check by yourself by larping as archimedes
>>
>>1164155
Kekd good sir
>>
>>1164006
They are likely not solid gold as others are suggesting. and even if they are gold plated the amount of gold wouldn't likely be more than a gram or two and that is exaggerative. 54-108 dollariedoos at a high gold trade value.

If you'd like to be scientific,
measure the approximate dimensions and weigh it to the gram and compare that with the standard gold density of 19.32 grams per cubic centimeter.
>>
>>1164006
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity
measure one pin dimensions as good as you can, measure resistivity with ohmmeter and evaluate against gold...
>>
>>1164188
>measure one pin dimensions as good as you can, measure resistivity with ohmmeter and evaluate against gold...
topkek
equipment to measure precisely one pin would be orders of magnitude more expensive than OP's solid gold pins would be worth.
>>
>>1164207
i guess you're right, a normal multimeter would be shit at it.

but suppose we connect a very large resistance in parallel and measure it then?
>>
>>1164212
So you want to measure very precise resistances by hooking it up to a big resistance, presumably by some wires with resistances that you are going to omit? Solid plan, 2/10
>>
>>1164215
no i was more thinking of just plugging the resistor in the very same hole the ic pin would sit in and perhaps soldering the other end as close as i can..
>>
>>1164218
or perhaps even plugging all of the pins into each other making a large chain of them and then dividing the result with how ever many i happen to have lol
>>
holy shit you faggots are retarded and want to do this the hardest possible way. Just try to scratch off the plating with something sharp.
>>
>>1164006
Find volume of pin by setting in measuring cup, multiply by either gold or brass density. If the weight in calculations is close to the weight found experimental then you know which metal it is
>>
>>1164212
>but suppose we connect a very large resistance in parallel and measure it then?
suppose i stuck them up my ass?!

>>1164220
now you are onto a winner! but calculating the equivalent theoretical resistance might be complicated.
>>
>>1164006
They are most probably gold coated for sure. Googld from pc's and you will find nice tutorials to get extract the gold from old electronic parts
>>
>>1164006
They are probably about nothing of Electroless Au, or 30 mics hard Au. Nothing. used to make them by the millions.
>>
>>1164720
Double checked. They would definitely be 20-30 inches hard Au over Ni on a Brass/Cu substrate. Essentially worthless. Dilute, reduced Au is almost of negative worth, especially if it's reduced in cyanide. It would need to be plated out, and even then you only get scrap rate.
>>
>>1164723
>inches
Micro-inches
>>
Maybe take a propane torch to a pin and see how it melts? I think gold has a much lower melting point than other metals that the pins could consist of.
>>
>>1164733
not with a propane torch. Now with a brazing torch and an oxybottle it would be possible... but you're gonna nuke the underlying metal also. only way to do it reliably would be through some of the chemical reduction methods, which unless you have a very large amount of these things... well, it's going to cost you more in time and materials than it will yield.
>>
>>1164006
>but they might be pure gold
You might be pure retarded
>>
File: car_wat.jpg (88KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
car_wat.jpg
88KB, 960x540px
>>1164760
Hearty kek
>>
>>1164006
Gold is just used in the industry because it's barely reactive, which is a nice characteristic to have when it comes to electrical connections (oxidation vs contact resistance and all that). Making those anything but plated would be a complete waste of money and material, so no, those are not made of pure gold.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.