[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backyard Fish Pond

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: backyardpond.jpg (110KB, 554x526px) Image search: [Google]
backyardpond.jpg
110KB, 554x526px
Has anyone here built something like this? I recently got thinking that I would like to build something like pic related in my backyard. It looks like a fun and relatively simple project, plus once it gets finished I would get constant hours of entertainment sitting on the deck smoking up and watching the fish. I have a few concerns though. Will this attract rats, weasels and other vermin to my property? Also, is something like this realistic in Canada with our long and cold winters? This is just something that popped into my head, I haven't done much homework yet and I'd like to see if any of you guys are knowledgeable about this sort of thing.
>>
>>1163990
That pond looks surprisingly deep.
It's hard to keep the water that clear. If it freezes during winter most fish are in trouble. I believe the weather is quite the same over there as it's over here in Finland. Shallow ponds freeze all the way to the bottom here....
>>
Built one for my parents, in BC.
About 30" Deep, 7' Round. Basic pump and filter.
Koi are surprisingly tough and can survive the cold.
For winter, buy a good floating heater to keep air circulating. Mom bought a shitty one. Died and so did the fish. Now they live in a tank inside for the winter.

Build where large birds cannot easily land, or put trees around it. No problem with vermin, but have no weasels around. Frogs will eat smaller fish though.
>>
>>1164024
>Koi are surprisingly tough and can survive the cold.
Thems cold-blooded animuls, doubt they GAF - assuming, the pond aint totally frozen. Think it needs to be about 3 feet deep minimum for Koi anyway, how much deeper so it don't totally freeze?- depend on your local climate, I s'pose.
>>
>>1164024
Whereabouts in BC? Climate can vary greatly in the different regions of that province. I am in southwestern Ontario.

I was hoping to build 4 feet deep. Never thought about bringing the koi inside for the winter but it is an option.
>>
>>1164032
Okanagan Valley. Fish have been in the pond for 3 weeks now. Temps dropped to -35 and pond froze to the bottom.

Regardless of how much ice there is, it can't freeze over and deplete the air.
>>
>>1163990
Pond liners are expensive. Can plug in a heater. Most fish can live under oce if its deep enough. Research it some and get to digging op. Post results
>>
Build a green house around it.. no fuck it put it in the center of your bedroom.
>>
>>1164443
Not digging in the living room and putting people there
>>
not to hijack your thread OP but as a quick side, how much would it cost to build / maintain a pool like pic related ?
>>
File: 1478396038973.jpg (55KB, 402x386px) Image search: [Google]
1478396038973.jpg
55KB, 402x386px
>>1164501
>Install pool in Vancouver metro
>Cops raid your house because suspicious hike in electricity usage
>>
>>1163990

My parents had two ... one we threw together ourselves and later one from a landscaper.

The one we threw together ourselves pumped the water through an overgrown planter (a bog filter) and about 3 meters of shallow water way with lots of stones, gravel and plants. The landscaper one had two of those filter barrels ... the one we threw together ourselves stayed a lot clearer. Especially since my parents don't want to bother to replace the filter media in the barrels.

We also have a ton of leaves which fall into the pond. In retrospect we should have just covered the entire bottom with fake stone liner instead of the gravel we used, which just collects crud and is hard to clean.

> Will this attract rats, weasels and other vermin to my property?

It might attract bullfrogs ...
>>
Mosquitos will lay their eggs in the water
>>
>>1163999
You have to have something agitating the water, like a fountain.
>>
>>1163999
Not speaking from personal experience, but I know some people who have ponds like this in my country (Norway). As you said, they will freeze solid in the winter and as such they will usually be drained once the cold sets in.
>>
>>1164749

You could put polystyrene under the pond liner and cover it with something like SolaWrap (high strength bubble wrap) during the winter. Wouldn't need a whole lot of heat to keep it liquid at that point.
>>
I buried an old hot tub I sealed and decorated two years ago and even when the top is frozen a half inch solid my little walmart goldfish keep swimming around down there. I do try and break the ice every few days, but goldfish are cheap and metal af fwiw.
>>
File: 20kr77k.jpg (16KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
20kr77k.jpg
16KB, 500x322px
>>1164501
More than you can afford, pal.
>>
>>1163990
Plenty of online literature for this.

You want to use a pond liner. You want to create flat steps. You want to look up the freeze depth of where ever you live. Always dig 6 in more than that to be safe.
Use a natural filtration method. That is lava rocks and pea gravel and you seed these filtration with bacteria every year. Use a pond heater during the winter. Make sure your pond has good flow from the filtration to the pump. Don't design something with areas of water that doesn't move. Don't build it in a place already muddy/with poor drainage. It will life the pond liner up.
Look it up if you have questions after you do some studying they'll get answers.
>>
>>1164031
Who the fuck types like this?
>>
>>1164707
Fish will eat the larvae
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.