[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you modernize this old radio?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: 00P0P_jzrPkbp451n_600x450.jpg (22KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00P0P_jzrPkbp451n_600x450.jpg
22KB, 600x337px
How would you modernize this old radio?
>>
>>1163786
use it as a stand for your phone
>>
>>1163786
Assuming the radio only picks up AM, I'd probably disconnect or bypass the actual radio portion, then add an aux input so you could hook up a phone. If I were feeling really crafty, I'd rig up a Bluetooth audio receiver and rewire the knobs to be playback controls using an Arduino or something.
>>
>>1163786
Minifridge
>>
>>1163786
Spray paint it white and add an apple logo.
>>
>>1163786
put in a big ass graphic vfd, replace the pots with rotary encoders, put in a raspberry pi, add in a ~3 channel class d amp ( L, R, sub)
>>
>>1163786
I would give it a brand new owner. Me.
>>
Set it on fire so it can return to the earth and become a new tree.
>>
>>1163786
gut the inside.. leave the face.. wire up the buttons and knobs somehow to a raspberry pi - internet radio. It's been done a 1000 times before.
>>
it'd be great to gut it and use half the space as a Bluetooth stereo, and the other half as a high capacity home media server, that would hold terabytes of music and full tv series. There's so much space with these things
>>
Guitar amplifier
>>
Paint it white, post on upcycling blogs.
>>
>>1163786
Gut the electronics and replace with a DAB radio, wire up the speaker and buttons.

Really it depends how much the original bits you want to keep.
>>
>>1163786
I redid my grandfather's old radio for my brother.

I disconnected all the components and set them aside.

I put in a raspberry pi, usb hub, usb soundcard, and bluetooth receiver.

I connected the switches into the pi to play certain "radio stations" which were just
>button-1.m3u
>button-2.m3u
>etc

Set up a nice speaker into the thing. Connected it all together, coded a little python, and viola.
>>
>>1163786
Gut it and throw anphone dock and bluetooth speaker in it.

Maybe put some psu power supplies and and amp and sub in it.

Maybe some leds.
>>
>>1163852
Top kek
>>
>doing anything except a proper restoration of the original components
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you want some piece of shit Chinese audio equipment, then just buy some piece of shit Chinese audio equipment and use it in whatever appropriate Chinese plastic enclosure it comes in.
>>
Gut it
Restore the cabinet
Fit a new A class amp and speaker into it so that you have something cool to plug your guitar into in your man cave.
>>
>>1164209
>muh restoration of useless garbage
restoring junk like OP's picture is nothing but a waste of time and money
no one is gunna sit down and listen to AM through some tubes
>>
>>1165786
You could use an AM transmitter to listen to music from local devices. Alternatively, I wouldn't even really be opposed to making a modification in order to add a direct input, as long as the rest is left intact.

I completely understand somebody not being interested in AM radio or an old tube amplifier, but plenty of people are, and it's just wrong to destroy an irreplaceable antique. I just don't really understand why someone would take a liking to old radio cabinets if they have no appreciation for what old radios actually are.
>>
add LEDs
>>
>>1163786
chalk paint
>>
don't

you restore it
>>
>>1163786
I modernized mine, I threw it in a dumpster
>>
That is a beautiful piece of Art Deco furniture, if you do anything other than restore it, ESPECIALLY "HURR Just gut it and put a raspi in there like wow man so cool lol" then you are a fucking arsehole who does not understand the meaning of value.

You could make your Raspi internet radio in a million modern pieces of crap that would be no loss to destroy, why be an idiot and put it in there?
>>
take the knobs and throw the rest in some dumpster. it's cheap old garbage
>>
>>1166819
As a restorer of things like this, it has very little value in its original configuration today. It's basically a fancy table without any functionality updates.
>>
File: actually true.jpg (14KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
actually true.jpg
14KB, 316x202px
>>1165786
Will you fuck off. You have me in tears right now. How do people like you not understand the beauty and craftsmanship of classic pieces like OPs?

Like, literally, fucking die. OP has a relic, a genuine part of history, and people like you are the reason those items lose sentimental value. They're not just 'old garbage,' they have life in them, something that new stuff just doesn't have.

I'm literally shaking at the thought of all the antiques that get thrown away each year. Why do you condone the destruction of our ancestors labors? Do you truly hate anything with an ounce of craftsmanship, history, or creativity? Think about the hours it took designers and engineers to create OPs antique. They didn't have your stupid 'photoshop' in the 60s. They didn't have 'google sketch.' They had paper and ingenuity, a yearning to make the world a better place, and the ability to do so.
>>
>>1166828
what they had was shitty jobs and higher materials costs. Time was spent on that design not to make the world a better place, but to sell someone a shitty radio for a high price.
>>
You'd probably have to pay $700 for a sideboard with that style these days.

Worthless piece of shit, lol.
>>
>>1166830
so no changes how companies today are working? i think restoring an old radio true to original state is an honour.
>>
>>1166828
Pretty sure nothing has changed in the world and you have a really fucked up romanticized view of the past. You really think that Photoshop and Google Sketch have streamlined people's abilities to create? Still takes the same amount of effort. I bet you like to say "THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USE TO" every time something breaks too.
>Will you fuck off. You have me in tears right now.
>Like, literally, fucking die.
>I'm literally shaking at the thought of all the antiques that get thrown away each year. Why do you condone the destruction of our ancestors labors?
>>
>>1163786
gut it, make it a cocktailbar
>>
>>1164209
This, don't be the dick that destroys an intact antique for his shitty vanity project
>>
>>1165786
>restoring junk like OP's picture is nothing but a waste of time and money

Believe it or not, some people actually do things because they ~enjoy~ doing them
>>
>>1167386
That guy's a faggot, but you're an asshole and OP shouldn't do anything but restore that radio to a working condition. The only "modernization" it needs is modern electrolytic capacitors in place of the original cans.
>>
>>1166828
I feel this way taking loads of scrap metal that i dont even want to get rid of to the scrap yard where a lifetime of fun projects is crushed daily.
>>
>>1167521

and nazis ~enjoy~ed working on the Holocaust but that doesn't make it morally superior for no reason
>>
File: 50432985723049857345.jpg (46KB, 730x780px) Image search: [Google]
50432985723049857345.jpg
46KB, 730x780px
So does anybody have a reason against restoring it other than "muh feelings?"

This goes one of two ways:
1) OP cleans it up and modernizes it so he can appreciate the craftsmanship of it while still using it in a way that fits what he wants

2)he restores it completely, can only listen to AM radio probably, and becomes basically a decoration for him or somebody else because he ends up selling it.

The level of autism in this thread is crazy. These things aren't really rare. And let's be realistic here the electrical components aren't probably the most impressive part of the unit anyways unless you have a hard on for tubes.
>>
>>1167853
AM radio is becoming less useful as broadcasters move more of their stations to FM anyway. The only value an old radio has is as a decoration so the only real solution is to rip out the guts and have it do something else. Don't know why anyone wants to listen to static on an empty AM band.
>>
>>1167853
>>1167938
One can use an AM transmitter to play audio from other sources, or even install an input jack while still leaving and utilizing the original electronics and speaker.

Gutting it and shoving in some modern electronics is just silly.
>>
Add Bluetooth
>>
1. Take out everything inside.

2. Add modern radio circuits, audio drivers, anything.

3. Put phone port for music.

4. Put Led light strips
>>
>>1163786
People like you who gut and,destory these old radios need to be murdered.

Seriously you can wire in aux or in most cases simply hook up a iphone to where a phono would hook and be done..

You are the type of fucks that run prices through the roof
>>
>>1168857
Your fuckin retarded with your terms. You clearly have no idea what you are doing. This is why everything you do or make becomes fucked up.
>>
>>1163786
First off that is a beautiful piece of furniture. Keep as much as possible.

Do not remove any part inside.

Instead add a tiny SBC like Raspberry Pi, use the dial for input to channel, and reuse the audio amps for loudspeaker. Make sure it works as close to the original as possible and make sure you can one day remove the add-ons and perhaps sell it for an absolute fortune to a future collector of classical radios made in an era where craftsmanship meant something.
>>
OP, my advice as a tube nut: do whatever you want with the cabinet but the radio should be sold or given to someone who has an interest in it.

I've found 2 junked out consoles and my friend nabbed me another one. Nobody cares about these since they are pretty much useless in function as they are:

>AM is dying
>SW is dying / dead
>most of these can't receive FM

You could potentially wire up the audio amp section to an input but then you're just burning ~100W for maybe a couple watts of audio power and shitty too. I'm redoing a console radio and it has a pair of tubes for 3W audio power at 10% distortion. As stated a transmitter is an option but again, you still have crummy audio and perhaps the music you listen to is not really suited for playback on something of this era.

In my case, I'm rebuilding the radio as I have an interest and am building a guitar amp into the console itself. I figure it will be paying homage to the original craftsmen of the cabinet, someone will really like the look and function and I get to keep and play with the original radio to perhaps build into my own cabinet...

...perhaps only for it to end up in an alley 50 years later. Who knows.

Anyway, good luck OP.
>>
Build AM transmitter / modulator.

Restore radio to original condition.
>>
>>1170549

This.

At the very worst, take the internals, pack them up extremely well and store them with an disassembly/assembly guide (Just take pictures dammit). Build a drop-in setup with whatever BS you want to put inside, wire it up carefully and enjoy your "modern" radio.

Then, when the novelty of getting your music played out of knee-high speakers from the other side of the room wears off, rebuild it with an AM transmitter and small amp wired through to an AUX port and get what you actually can out of the system: Old-time sound for old time content.
>>
>>1163786
By not fucking with it, you gaping cunt.

If you want an antique-looking radio with modern functionality then just buy some repro chinkshit and slap a cheap SDR in there with a cheap tablet for control purposes.
>>
File: 20170326_233609.jpg (204KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_233609.jpg
204KB, 1280x720px
I've got one I think I'm going to just take to the dump because it looks like total shit, I don't even care that "it still works" it sounds like absolute shit
>>
File: 20170326_233734.jpg (249KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_233734.jpg
249KB, 1280x720px
>>1174401
And look at how shitty the electronics are. You can get a Bluetooth speaker that is louder and better sounding for $30
I'm thinkin of taking the sledge to it since I don't want to carry it down the tiny attic stairs
>>
>>1174401
>>1174404
You have to be trolling at this point.
>>
>>1163786
Get a pic related from wish or geek. Yes they are shit bit at less than 20 bucks what do you expect. Replace speaker with a better quality one. And bam your set. Really wanna get fancy? Remote the dials to existing dials! Add a nice deep purple incan lamp for effect.
>>
>>1174456
Forgot pic
>>
>>1174409
Die in a fire.
>>
>>1174409
Not everyone is a tube zealot.
While I agree that the innards seem to be in pretty nice condition considering the age, it isn't exactly surprising that it sounds like shit.
>>
>>1174549
All the more reason to show it some TLC. Vintage is vintage and they're not making any more of it. At the very least it should be passed on to someone who appreciates it.
>>
File: 01bluetoothhead.jpg (118KB, 640x409px) Image search: [Google]
01bluetoothhead.jpg
118KB, 640x409px
Replace the old radio with new one like with car radio and build minifridge to it and when you have car radio you can use bluetooth, aux and other things :p
>>
File: 1492582928501.jpg (64KB, 622x376px) Image search: [Google]
1492582928501.jpg
64KB, 622x376px
If u didnt understand I meant it like this
>>
>>1174568
that's stupid as fuck. Seriously, I think you have something on the spectrum.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.