[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to remove thick rust from a ceiling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: DSCN3085.jpg (354KB, 912x684px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3085.jpg
354KB, 912x684px
>>
>>1163529
angle grinder
>>
Is this the damage?

replace the ceiling
>>
>>1163536
follow up, depending on the penetration on that girder, get that looked at. If the central structure is getting rusted through, that's a massive liability.
>>
>>1163529
Good luck with that rust, you need a new roof and to replace that beam
>>
File: DSCN3087.jpg (299KB, 912x684px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3087.jpg
299KB, 912x684px
>>1163536
Issue is, this is a storage room underneath the garage. The rust is not very thick on the beams, just the corrugated sheet.

Here is a wider angle to show the extent of the damage.
>>
>>1163529
that top to bottom rusted piece is a cut out and replace
>>
Hit it with a wire brush to remove the flaky shit, then paint with a Rust Converter.
>>
>>1163529
Ok you treat them with a rust converter liquid. They mainly contain phosphoric acid that will reduce the rust chemically. After that you can sand them or use steelwool slightly and then treat them with wd40 to prevent further rusting.
>>
Grinder or rust remover both can be found at a hardware store
>>
File: pACE3-12365824enh-z7.jpg (79KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
pACE3-12365824enh-z7.jpg
79KB, 435x435px
>>1163535
>>1163536
>>1163541
>>1163542
>>1163544
>>1163547
>>1163557
>>1163576
>>1163603
plebs
>>
>>1163529
Is it a concrete floor above that steel?

The first step would be to find where the water is coming from that is causing the rust.

If there's cracks in the concrete floor above fill those with SikaFlex self leveling sealant.

FIND AND STOP THE WATER CUASING THE RUST!

The I-beam looks okay.
The Corrugated sheet is what's doing the main work of holding the concrete+car

The box beam though? That is an uncomfortable amount of rust through.

Honestly OP, you need a professional for this.

No amount of wire brush, grinding, or chemical treatment is going to repair that much rust.
>>
>>1163544
That needs replacing bro.
>>
>>1163773
>hoping that covering the issue up is as good as fixing it
>>
>>1163529
Needle gun then angle grinder. Some of that looks pritty far gone tho
>>
>>1163529

Smoke wrench
>>
>>1163773
Fucking garbage.

I do this for a living, industrial coatings.
Op, I'm only talking about the beams here, the galvanizing is gone from the roof panels so they should be replaced.
While they are off
>Hit beams with a wire wheel, getting all the lose, flakey shit.
>Put a coat of 2 part epoxy. (Kelly Moore carries PPG and their shit is boss)
>Next day roll on another coat.
>It's 'surface tolerant' so it can deal with shit and is its own primer.
>Use little 4" rollers
>Mix 32 oz at a time
You won't have to think about it for 20 years. Or untill it's time for a new corrugated roof.
>>
File: IMG_20170417_142851544.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170417_142851544.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1164347
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1163905
>>1164347
I actually do this for a living and not pretend.
Rust Stop and similar products bond with the rust so it's no longer rust.
Not as strong are good as new beams, but a good fix until you can afford real professional advice, which I've given my free two cents of.
>>
>>1164411
He is right.
Oil based Enamel, no matter how fancy it claims to be cannot ever compete with the Epoxy "rust convertors" that chemically etch rust away with acid.
And even then, it always needs to be hit with a wire brush.

With Rust Stop or Rustoleum and similar garbage you are only covering up the rust.
>>
>>1163529
The right amount of explosives should do it.
>>
>ITT: How do I repair rot.

It's fucked son. Should have been treated and/or powder coated from day 1.
>>
>>1164446
>rot

rust and rot are two different things
>>
>>1164411
>good fix until you can afford real professional advice, which I've given my free two cents of.
Well here in pretend-land we don't 'convert' rust, we remove it. And what doesn't get removed, the epoxy deals with. The only thing I'd do different from the advice I gave would be to put a sanding disc on and and expose at least 70% 'white' steel after the wire wheel. >Rust converter is for the lazy.
Even if you COULD convert iron oxide back to iron, rust has no structural integrity so what's the point? It's a waste of money and just an unnecessary step.
>>
>>1163529
Engineer here replace or weld repairs
>>
>>1164411
Yeah, and I 'actually' run a site services company that deals with shit like this all the time, and let me tell you - If you, as a 'professional' suggested covering it up with that shit then I would fire you on the spot for being a fucking cowboy.
>>
>>1163529
I like my rust extra thicc if you ask me.
>>
If you remove that rust, you're pretty much removing your ceiling
>>
>>1164533
How do you actually approach something like this? Jack the roof up and cut off the beam and weld in a new section? Or just cut off with no jacking?
>>
>>1163866
The i-beam does not look OK.
Its friable (has split and fractured), it no longer has any structural integrity.
>>
>>1166105

Replace entire I-beam.

failing that, fishplate it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.