[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rustproofing Car Without Paint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: sillpatch2[1].jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
sillpatch2[1].jpg
16KB, 320x240px
Is there really no way to rustproof car parts without painting them?

I planned to have the welded patches visible by applying just car wax without painting over them first, but apparently that wouldn't be enough to keep them from rusting. How can I keep the metal visible AND make it rustproof?
>>
Replace all the steel with titanium
>>
>>1163485

Needless to say, building an entirely new car body out of expensive materials is obviously out of the question.
>>
>>1163479
Slap some grease on the metal, It will isolate the metal from the environment and still be easily removable with solvent.
>>
>>1163496
*I'm retarded, didn't read the post through. Clearcoat?
>>
>>1163479
Always remember /diy/ is not a magic board and whatever we do we do under the laws of physics.

No, there is no way to rustproof exposed uncovered steel, you can galvanize it but that is not a diy or cheap process.

However waxing it or cover with WD40 often will sort of make a ghetto rustproofing.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
10KB, 480x360px
How would superhydrophobic spray work?
>>
>>1163499
My anti-rust mixture is made of tar, engine oil and chainsaw oil.

Another I'm trying out is petroleum jelly, gasoline and maybe tar. The gasoline makes the petroleum jelly so fine that I can use compressed air to apply it. And the gasoline evaporates, leaving the grease stuck. This is for the underside of the car. Old cars you weld tend to rust as most of us aren't that good at welding sheet metal. Better to leave the rustproofing agents off. And I mean this thick rubbery coat you spray under the car here up north. Because of the road salt.
>>
Well, if you don't mind the color you could use metal spray.

And i mean METAL spray, not metallic paint. Like the one they use with galvanized tubes.

But you need metal spray equipment, which some companies have, but is till uncommon.

If you can remove the parts, you can electroplate them with zinc yourself, pure DIY, my friend.

There's also the clear paint/fixing agent.
And also clear grease might work aswell, but it'll catch dust
>>
>>1163479
Heat it up red hot and scrub it with a brass brush.
>>
>>1163527
As long as it sticks and is durable it will be fine, all you need is a barrier between the metal and the air and water, and rock chips, and dirt, and other shit... actually nothing will beat a good layer of paint
>>
>>1163526
not durable
>>
>>1163527
>The gasoline makes the petroleum jelly so fine that I can use compressed air to apply it.

...got a lighter?
>>
Nothing beats Boiled Linseed Oil for protecting metals from corrosion.

But it takes too long to dry on its own.

Mix 75:25 BLO to Paint Thinner to help it dry quicker.

For protecting the underside of a car, mix 30:70 Black colored Oil Based Enamel to BLO.
Then mix again the Paint and BLO mixture 50:50 to Paint Thinner.
Then add used motor oil to this last mixture in a 50:50 ratio.

Apply a compressor and a 'Schutz' gun.
>>
Won't the oils just wash off the car?
>>
>>1163479

Yacht varnish applied with a brush.
>>
>>1163479
clear coat you fucking tard
>>
>>1163479
either paint with clear or spray with Fluid Film. WD40 is absolutely fucking garbage so don't use it for anything under any circumstances
>>
>everyone not saying 'clear coat'

wtf are you guys retarded
>>
>>1163564
>>1163604
But I don't want to use paint.
>>
>>1163604
clear coat is just paint
>>
>>1163564
>>1163604

Clear Coat is made to be sprayed on top of paint. Does it have the rustproofing properties of real, first-layer of paint?

>>1163875

Transparent layer of something that rustproofs metal is exactly what I'm looking for. What I don't want is paint that covers the metal and seams with color.
>>
>>1163882
>Does it have the rustproofing properties of real, first-layer of paint?
don't they sell clear etching primer?
>>
>>1163558
Yes.
That's why you reapply when needed. I check the underside of the car when changing tires so that means there is a nice option to reapply twice a year.
>>
>>1163532
What does this do????
>>
>>1163906
>reapply twice a year

do you live in arizona or something?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.