[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Audio DIY general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

ITT: we discuss all kinds of audio and music related DIY stuff

Would it be possible to run a guitar or a bass through a pic related synth with certain wiring?
I mean using it as an effect pedal, for experimental and curiousity purposes.
>>
>>1163403
You can try to convert your bass signal into midi by making some random algorithm with arduino. When it come to experiment and weird stuff, everything is possible.
>>
honestly, probably not.

synths like that are just one big circuit board, so unless you're gonna figure out how those little black blobs of silicon work and wire directly into 'em, then there's no chance.

some synths will do this though; check out Access Virus B (probably other ones too) - they have microphone inputs that let you input stuff like microphones/guitars and let you use all their effects/vocodors n stuff on external sounds (not just the internal sounds)

also try googling "circuit bending" for musical shit

have fun!
>>
>>1163403
tyros 5
>>
File: expression_pedal_sch-1.gif (5KB, 593x217px) Image search: [Google]
expression_pedal_sch-1.gif
5KB, 593x217px
>>1163403
It's worth a try for curiosity sake. An expression pedal gives an analog voltage on the tip of the TRS connector. Connect the audio output from your guitar to the tip and see what happens. The ground (sleeve) also needs to be connected. You might need to amplify (op-amp) or divide (resistor-dvider) the guitar audio.

There's a big difference between what the Casio was designed to take and what you're giving it. An effect pedal produces a voltage that changes at like 5Hz if you tap your foot really fast. The guitar's audio signal will be 20 - 20,000 Hz (human hearing range). It might do nothing or do something strange; not sure. If it has an analog low pass filter it will respond to the volume of the guitar over a rolling average. If it's an unfiltered microcontroller DAC it's going to be random if it samples during a high or low point of the sound wave.
>>
File: 1490065998689.png (599KB, 996x986px) Image search: [Google]
1490065998689.png
599KB, 996x986px
Anyone ever do a kit guitar? I was thinking about picking up a cheap DIY strat
>>
>>1163403
Some of those old Casios could take an audio recording from the microphone and sample it, like the SK-1, so you might want to look into rigging something up with that. Of course, that only applies if the keyboard you own is capable of that.

As far as taking a non-sampling keyboard and introducing a guitar into the signal chain, I wouldn't know where to begin. I've heard of people feeding things through the filters of analog synthesizers like the Prophet V, but it looks like you don't have the equipment for that.
>>
I've always wondered, but is it possible to program a game controller into a midi controller? I always thought it would be neat to do but I know nothing about programming.
>>
If I were to build a stompbox, how would it be connected?
>>
>>1163809
For a strat, it might be more worth it just to get one of the many used guitars on the market in the body style and upgrade the electronics. Unless you're doing something super crazy or doing it for the experience, you can get a used strat style guitar for the same price as some of the cheaper strat kits, and turn it into something good.
>>
>>1164773
I really just wanted to do it for the fun of it, but that's a good idea too. I own five guitars already so idk if I want any more
>>
Would building an analog synth from a scratch be a fun weekend project?
>>
>>1164097
I would be surprised if someone hadn't already.
You could write software for a microcontroller to convert the low level protocol from the controller and output midi, probably arduino libraries exist for these purposes, artists use it all the time, can't be hard.

Something like a ps3 or xbox controller will show up as a USB HID, you could probably find some midi synth software that will work with it.
>>
>>1163403
no. notice how there is no effect processing or filters in the keyboard? because it's just a bunch of sample players. it can't effect an audio input.

that being said, there's almost an infinite number of things you can do to the sound of something like that. check out this blog for inspiration on this: http://www.noystoise.com/
>>
>>1163809
yes. it's worth doing for the experience but the cheap kits will never play that well even with a lot of knowledge. they use cheap frets and hardware. you wind up replacing almost all of it to make it playable. another anon suggested fixing up a cheap model and this is basically a good idea. you just have to make sure that it is something that you like to play first. you can't buy a toys r us thing and make it into a decent guitar without basically replacing everything.

>>1164097
it definitely is and you probably won't need to program anything. just learn about how midi works and you'll see that folks have been turning all sorts of weird things into midi controllers.

>>1164485
what

>>1165156
>weekend
holy hell. building an analog synth from scratch is more like a hardcore thing that people invest all their free time and thousands of dollars into. also for people who simply buy the modules this applies as well.
>>
>>1165258
Smack out a few 555 timers, a few trimmer pots, a few caps and poof shitty DIY screamingtobeturnedoff analog syth
Sorted
>>
>>1165281
yeah except he didn't ask how to build a 555 osc he asked if that casio could be turned into an effect pedal.
>>
File: bottlerape.gif (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
bottlerape.gif
3MB, 400x300px
>>1165289
See
>>1165156

Also, I totally agree with this >>1165281
In its purest form, a synth is just a bunch of oscillators that are tuned to musical frequencies. You can do it with a bunch of the 555 timers, some caps and potentiometers, and some push buttons for the keys. It'll be ugly, and it'll probably take a couple of weeks to make it playable, but it would be fun.
>>
>>1165258
I mean how would I connect the piezo stompbox on my amp. Would I need a separate amp for that or is there any /diy/ I can do?
>>
File: BAZZ_FUSS.jpg (60KB, 549x638px) Image search: [Google]
BAZZ_FUSS.jpg
60KB, 549x638px
>>1164485
something like this
>>
What do I need to convert from .mp3 to cassette?
>>
File: hammnd.png (3MB, 662x3805px) Image search: [Google]
hammnd.png
3MB, 662x3805px
How much can I sell this for? I might have to sell it after all these years ;_;
>>
>>1166594
I demand audio clip now!!
>>
>>1166588
Tablespoon
>>
File: sacnz3jufrpwcxwbz8kk.jpg (56KB, 620x274px) Image search: [Google]
sacnz3jufrpwcxwbz8kk.jpg
56KB, 620x274px
>>1166617
this is me jamming my cheep 80s Casio CT-310 through it. makes it sound breddy epic †bh. I've also done some guitar and bass and synths and stuff through it, the sound varies a ton depending on recording technique and mic choise.

https://clyp.it/vl2ce02x
>>
>>1166588
The right amount of explosives should do the trick.
>>
>>1166621
That's pretty good man.
First time i heard a leslie, it was the funkiest noise ever, still is.
>>
Question about encoding. Using foobar2000 for a short time and I noticed that some of my audio files didn't hit the 0db level.

Is a good encoded file found its peak at 0db or am I misunderstanding something ???

Question is to know if my mastering is good when mixing.
>>
>>1165156
Yes if you have the parts all ready to go, can solder, have a plan, etc. I have built a few. At its base you have something like a 555 timer.

Look at the weird sound generator online. It is doable, just order everything ahead of time.
>>
>>1166628
Yeah they're pretty cool. I'm not much of a musician (obviously), but I'm a sound engineer and all that stuff so I have a bunch of stuff I tinker with.
>>
>>1166914
Why? The fuck do we need discord for when we have an entire board faggot?
>>
>>1166778
I'd say -3db is the place to max out, save for the occasional click or pop. Just my opinion though.
>>
Are cheap Piezos any good for experimental instruments?
>>
>>1167604
fuck yeah they are négrœ!

Got a couple examples:

https://clyp.it/rzqzy4sr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6TMR1fNITM
>>
>>1166621
i have the same one my friend.i run a kaossilator thru it and then thru a microkorg
>>
>>1169648
wait you run a kaossilator through the Casio..?
>>
File: kinds-of-guitar-headstock.jpg (109KB, 377x533px) Image search: [Google]
kinds-of-guitar-headstock.jpg
109KB, 377x533px
What's the sturdiest of them all?
>>
>>1170327
Tilt w/o scarf is weak. In a scarf, the glue is stringer than the wood which can break along the grain (why tilt alone is weak). Never seen a broken straight headstock, but they're also usually thicker.

A volute is another option if you don't want to do the gluing of the scarf joint.
>>
>>1170327
The sturdiest of them all (and easiest for DIY) is headless tbqhfamalam.
>>
So basically I'm kinda tired with guitar but too poor to get something else that's decent, so any suggestions for diy instruments?
I know about PVC flutes and I will try to make one, and a drum practice pad. I know about tank drums and will try to find an old propane tank without a valve but I'm kinda scared about the possibility of this thing blowing up in my face
>>
>>1171752
apparently if you record yourself blowing on a beer bottle and then pitch down you get a natural sounding sine-wave bass
>>
>>1172416
Decent
>>
>>1166594
I'll give you $50
>>
File: 1366158616455.png (16KB, 265x307px) Image search: [Google]
1366158616455.png
16KB, 265x307px
>>1172637
>>
>>1166621
sounds incredible. sell it in synth forums and such. or to some church.
>>
Can anyone suggest a semi cheap audio recorder
That gives you clarity and can be used to record vocals ( singing )
>>
>>1172645
are you really surprised /diy/ is a bunch of skinflints?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.