[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Challenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: busted tap.jpg (1MB, 1374x977px) Image search: [Google]
busted tap.jpg
1MB, 1374x977px
Is there literally anything more frustrating in all the /diy/ arts than pic related?
>>
No. Especially when you're a machinist and your hours into the part and that happens
>>
>>1163145
Just get an easy out from Harbor Feight and get that sucker out. Easy-peasy
>>
>>1163148
I have a set of speedouts but you'd have to drill down the middle of the tap for it to work and good luck with that.
>>
>>1163149
all those expensive tap extraction tools and it always seems the quickest way to get it out is with a hammer, chisel, and a pick

if the parts already centered in a mill or drill press, a carbide bit can bore it out so you can break out the remaining pieces
>>
>>1163155
Came here to say this.
Small chisel/pick/thing you can tap with a hammer to back it out.
Otherwise you can use a fluted end mill/ruffer, biggest downside to that is unless you have zero run out you'll have to run a hand tap through to fix the threads.
>>
>>1163145
Harbor shit tools amiright
>>
Also I just want to jump in and say that before I got my full number and letter gauge index I broke my hodor freight taps on multiple occasions. Fixing this is a simple matter of taking a drift punch and smashing the tap to smithereens, picking out the pieces, then [if necessary] re-drilling and retapping the next size up, and modifying the corresponding workpiece accordingly. #everythingidoisniggerrigged

PS I have done this to an engine block, works fine.
>>
>>1163148

>easy out
>into a hardened tap

Yeah, nah. Even if you could get the easy out to bite, the tap would just shatter further, Nevermind the difficulty in drilling the fuckin' thing in the first place.

As has been stated, smashing it is the best you can do if you don't have an EDM machine or can get it on a mill with a carbide tool.

>>1163249
>hodor freight taps

I will cheap out on a lot of tools. But taps are definitely not one of them. Good ones break too often as it is.
>>
>>1163259
Nah man I still use my dollar store taps. You just need a complete set of drill bits, actual cutting fluid (not WD-40) and "the feel" and you'll never break another one.
>>
>>1163145
>dad died before he got around to telling me about aluminum
>completely waste 4 drill bits trying to drill a hole through an aluminum block despite cutting lube
>finally get a straight-flute drill bit

Everyone has it easy now, since.the internet exists for such simple information. A 3-second google gets you all prepared for anything. The 1980s were a hard time for DIY if you didn't have a mentor.
>>
>>1163145
Super easy, just weld on it and build it up then weld a nut onto it and use a socket or grab the weld nodule thing with vice grips
>>
>>1163320
>try this
>weld tap into hole

now wat
>>
File: tmp_29464-14902102-400226414.jpg (11KB, 575x300px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29464-14902102-400226414.jpg
11KB, 575x300px
idk how they are called in english
but they are prety expensive

depending on thread size 20 to 50€
https://www.hhw.de/de/Shop/Bohrwerkzeuge/Gewindebohrer-Auszieher
>>
>>1163560
Tap extractor
Not sure why this wasnt the first post
>>
File: lefty loosey.jpg (266KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
lefty loosey.jpg
266KB, 600x450px
hot wrench
>>
>>1163482
Don't do that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffR2pGVGHbg
>>
>>1163578
What the fuck type of european car is that shit on?
A ~13mm hex socket for an axle nut?
>>
>>1163632
Vag
>>
File: hole_poppin.jpg (74KB, 595x286px) Image search: [Google]
hole_poppin.jpg
74KB, 595x286px
get on my level
>>
>>1163145
Busted two taps last week. Unless you have a carbide end mill it's easiest just to start over. Hope it wasn't stuck in anything important.
>>
>>1163578
Me Mac impact wrench spins those off like butter. Even crank bolts break loose after less than a second.
>>
>>1163145
Don't buy your taps at Horror Fright, Home Depot, or Menards and you'll be fine. Real taps cost money but so does your time and the work piece you just destroyed improperly pulling a Chinese pot metal tap.
>>
>>1165045
Yes, it certainly does. Then, one day you'll run into one that doesn't spin off at the pull of a trigger. One that has been rusted so much over the years that it's gone from, say, 32mm to 32.5, so you pound your socket on and give it the gun. The scaled rust gives way, and you have hope. Just as the nut rounds off and you can't apply the 700 lb ft that you need to get it free. Then what do you do? The job that you quoted for 2 hours and a new bearing just went down the drain.
Grab the torch and your goggles, it's gonna be a fun day.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.