[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the shaft must be grabbed harder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 41FA6DEbFCL.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41FA6DEbFCL.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
>got bike mirror
>attach to handlebar
>keep tightening but it doesn't seem to hold well enough
>whatever garbage metal the clamp is made of is too soft
>mirror moves around anytime the bike does

so....ideas for how to attach the mirror post to the handlebar?
apart from duct tape, and I don't love the thought of drilling through it

(I didn't measure it but it is not much more than an inch or so in diameter)

is there some kind of stock part at a hardware store that would be similar to the clamp thingy, but stronger?
>>
Wrap a strip of innertube around the handlebar and clamp to that.

I'd be perfectly fine to leave it like that for my own use but as you're not me i'd recommend you replace it with a good clamp whenever you can.
>>
>>1163140
the problem is mainly that the shaft is not tight enough to stop it from turning, not that it is moving up or down on the handlebar

if you have a suggestion for a "good clamp", that would be helpful

I thought about something like a scope mount, but not sure how to attach a post to that
>>
>>1163169
Thread third jam nut between halves of clamp, and tighten shaft to top of clamp. Use bottom nut to set clamp tension.
>>
File: 1492480319945.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1492480319945.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>>1163176

sounds good
>>
You could use the stronger clamps used for brake or shifter levers. It may require you to drill a bigger hole in them. I once did an all in one mirror and brake lever by using the mirror's bolt instead of the one meant for the lever.
>>
>>1163140
>>1163169
I second adding a strip of rubber underneath the clamp. The rubber should put some added friction to prevent movement.
>>
>>1163230
Rubber will slip and crush and fail.

Motorcycle mechanic here. Use a short strip of emery cloth or sand paper instead. Do not overlap the ends.

That mirror design a shit. Best bolts thru the lever perches.
>>
>>1164959
Agree it's a shit mirror but a piece of garden hose will work and put tape on the screw threads to stop the bolts vibrating loose!
>>
>>1164964
>tape on the screw threads

Jesus Kroyst! You must hate OP. Tape on threads does nothing. I've been installing handlebars and all that lives on them since 1978.

Use Loctite Red or lock washers if you fear for your nuts. Metric lock nuts are cheap at any hardware store. I prefer the all-metal versions.

If mirror will fit through the probable existing hole in your lever perch you could keep the nuts, shitcan the clamp, then tighten the nuts in opposition to each other but of course OP doesn't post a pic of HIS motorcycle.
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 156x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 156x160px
>>1163138
Mfw it doesn't firmly grasp it
>>
>>1164959
what, if anything, is needed for grip will depend on what I use as a replacement for the crappy original clamps

>thru the lever perches
right now I don't know if that's a realistic possibility....it would be solid, but not adjustable

just to clarify, this is a bicycle, not a motorcycle

>>1164964
I'd probably just use scrap inner tube, since I have some already

I also have thread lock, and or some heat shrink tubing for nut security

>>1164977
I do/did fear for them
>had pieces from a bike rack held barely on by one little nut right on the end of the bolt, glad I noticed
>nope.jpeg
>drilled larger holes
>got larger bolts
>thread lock on those suckers
>all good

>but of course OP doesn't post a pic of HIS motorcycle
OP doesn't have a motorcycle, and if OP did, he would have gotten a motorcycle mirror, not a bike mirror

those are definitely not meant for that kind of abuse
>>
Put a thin band of electrical tape around the bar and clamp it to the tape. It'll stop wiggling around, that's how I got my bike fender to stop wiggling
>>
hmmmm, I'm think a conduit hanger might be the way to go....I'll see how sturdy they are
>>
>>1165306
got a set, and they seem to be much better than the original clamps

the closest set I could get were a tad large at 1", but that shouldn't be a problem

will have to drill out the bolt holes, but otherwise good to go

if I can git er dun tomorrow, will post results
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.