[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone Ever build a truck camper?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: aaaa.jpg (181KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
181KB, 1024x768px
Hey people,

I am thinking of building a truck camper to live in. I've been scoping a few different trucks on craigslist, there is a nice '79 4x4 toyota truck, as well as '84 1 ton dually with a flat bed. I personally am thinking something with a cabover camper, so I can sleep up there (with some type of slide out drawer[I'm 6'1"]). And ideally something lightweight/inexpensive, though if I had a 1 ton weight is less of an issue. But I would think a 4x4 could still handle a bit of weight.

Does anyone have any experience with building up things like this? I was personally thinking of using wood to build a skeleton around and then frame around it with something insulating, waterproof and lightweight.

Would I be best off using foam insulation?
I have also seen people use chloroplast(basically plastic cardboard) to build micro bike campers.

Would this be too flimsy for highspeeds? I would also wonder about the ease of breaking in by cutting through the plastic. It seems like it could be a good material to use to fashion a bend over it for aerodynamics.

It seems to me that aluminum is costly/heavy/ I cant do it. Fibreglass seems like a possibility but I don't have much experience working with it.

Any input/inspiration all of you can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks!
>>
>>1163113
>To live in

Just end your life now before it gets worse
>>
I was just looking into making a van like that.
>>
>>1163113

I haven't, but I looked into doing one. If I did do one, I would probably borrow some modern amateur boat-building techniques, and do it with an extremely lightweight wood frame, using either foam or very thin plywood for the shell, and epoxy/fiberglass to bind it all together.

See for example stitch&glue boats or foam core boats.

Just a thought.
>>
File: f8b39099878c3be3f91e8cf9157ea637.jpg (114KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
f8b39099878c3be3f91e8cf9157ea637.jpg
114KB, 1024x682px
>>1163113
Take notes from gypsy caravan wagons. They've been doing that sort of thing for 100s of years and got most of the flaws worked out (except for the eyesore paintjobs).
>>
>>1163113
Jesus dude, if you want a Toyota camper just get one already made. Several companies made thousands of them back in the 70's and 80s. They are generally low miles. They go cheap too.

Anyway, as has been said, living in one sucks. You ever lived in a dorm? It is like that but hotter, colder, and with less head room.
>>
Okay perhaps live in has a strong connotation amongst you guys. Fill in with traveling or just having or whatever. I don't see why with proper design of course they couldn't be kept at a comfortable temperature. I like the idea of building it myself cause I could specify to my needs, i.e taller ceiling, less frivolous things, no windows to help retain heat/not become living in a solar over,
>>
File: 800px-Chloroplast_II.svg[1].png (173KB, 800x760px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Chloroplast_II.svg[1].png
173KB, 800x760px
>>1163113
>I have also seen people use chloroplast

I don't think you have.

Anyway...wood would be fine, so long as it's thoughtfully affixed to the bed. Welded steel (or aluminum) frame with wood sheathing would be better. Steel/aluminum and fiberglass would be professional-tier, giving excellent strength for minimal weight.

But if you're limited on tools, you're probably best off with wood.

I would not use coroplast, at all. That's only one step up from cardboard. I considered making a camper for my truck, but dismissed the idea pretty quickly. The toolboxes and lumber rack are too useful.
>>
>>1163135
Hah I feel like a fool now. Gotcha thanks
>>
>>1163115
fpbp
>>
A guy called HandMadeMatt did something similar on a Mitsubishi L200. Google for a build thread.

And a week or so ago there was a thread here on /diy/.
A guy built a gypsy wagon thing on a flatbed truck.
>>
>>1163113
Lot of real estate in box trucks.
>>
In germany we call this "Wohnkabine".
>>
>>1163337
Thanks for the reply I'll look into that. I couldn't find the other thread that you mentioned, but oh well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.