[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 61Qf-bwHjiL._SY355_.jpg (20KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
61Qf-bwHjiL._SY355_.jpg
20KB, 355x355px
I need to log my property lines, I'd like to use gps so that I can upload the info to google earth. I also fly fish a lot and would like something to map my trail lines etc.
More concerned with my propery lines. Would a $100 handheld gps be okay for this?
>>
>>1162952
IIRC all civilian GPS is +-10 meters. If you are okay with it being off by that much, then yeah, it should be fine.
>>
>>1162952
As above, but a Garmin or similar standalone GPS unit should be 1000 times more accurate than a phone or whatever, they start using 'assisted GPS' (celltower triangulation, etc.) - may as well chuck a dart at an atlas. If you want more acurate, you need to get into RTK and survey grade error correction systems - but bascially, a Garmin and good weather (minimal/no overcast, etc) should produce as near to accurate as you'll get for $100 budget.
>>
>>1162958
>>1162965
thanks for the info. I was hoping to be able to get at least close the pins.
I did see some other 400 + receivers that had better screen etc
>>
File: image (1).jpg (123KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
123KB, 768x960px
Yes, the inexpensive ones will work mostly as well as the higher priced receivers.

Average the waypoint and let the rcvr sit at the corners for a bit.
Also make sure datums match between maps/software and GPS.

>>>/out/990889
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>1162967
Unfortunately that bigger screen is all you're paying for
>>
>>1163025
Thanks anon
question, does it matter if I get satellite overlays or are they not worth it because of the declination of the satellite when the image was captured?
>>
>>1163037
thats what i figured, don't really need altitude and extras.
>>
>>1163040
All gps outputs altitude

If you have an Android phone you normally can get to the exact readout of the GPS which WILL be as accurate as one of those GPS devices

Go to the phone app and type *#0*# and it will take you to the sensor menu (I think Verizon and some other providers disable this however)

You can get to your GPS readout there
>>
>>1163047
The only time a GPS doesn't output altolitude is when they purposely disable it
>>
Handheld GPS user for 16 years or so. First started for hunting - mark trails, rubs, bedding, feeding areas and mark the main "people trails". Import all the waypoints to GE in satellite view to pick and mark ambush points. Done plenty of geocaching as well as benchmark hunting. I matched up my displayed GPS numbers with the ones from a well surveyed monument and the pin was between my feet. Hell come on over and I'll give you an old Etrex with the serial cable for free
>>
>>1163047
>>1163049
Thank you guys
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>1163057
lol thanks anon but I'd rather not be David Kalac's girlfriend.
I don't hunt but i can see it helping a lot with fishing etc.
What kind do you have, have you wanted to upgrade and if so, why?
>>
>>1162952
http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Says a smartphone should be accurate to around 5m.
>>
>>1162958
I think the newer ones with GLONASS (or whatever) are more accurate, although I'm no expert.
>>
File: Screenshot (65).png (224KB, 1006x581px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (65).png
224KB, 1006x581px
Was looking at this on amazon, about $80 or so more. Watched some reviews online. Seems to have a slightly better screen
>>
>>1163025
Thanks for the link
I tried to use my phone today but was 30 or so feet off. I'm guessing I should be using a topographic map to start with then overlay a satellite image over it.
>>
>>1163329
they CAN be but really depends on signal (both sat and tower) so they can also be really off.

for example i'm currently sitting in my house and if i pull up google maps on my iphone 7 which has 2 bars(sat unknown but assumed weak) it thinks i'm 5km away from where i actually am. if i just sit here and watch the little dot it's jumping all over the place as the signal fluctuates.

if you can get a clear signal it will generally be within a few feet but without that clear signal not only will it be off by quite a bit but with it jumping your location all over the place it'll be completely fucking useless for trying to map trails and such. of course satellite coverage also varies widely depending on location so your results could be far different but the point is that it's just not very reliable

a dedicated handheld GPS will have a far better antenna and also likely be able to connect to far more satellites at a time then a phone. i actually have the GPS in the OPs pic which i've used for fishing, mapping property lines, trails and even drainage tiles through my fields. you'll need a unit that has topographic maps either preloaded or available to download(they can be expensive)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.