[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gardening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: TN_tomato-plant-clipart-3.jpg (86KB, 170x210px) Image search: [Google]
TN_tomato-plant-clipart-3.jpg
86KB, 170x210px
What's the easiest fruit/vegetable/herb to grow and not fuck it up?

It needs to absolutely foolproof, because I'm a moron.
>>
>>1162893
Radishes. They grow fast with little care.
>>
>>1162893
jalapenos

grow like weeds here in north texas, their only enemy is freezing temperatures
>>
Come to /out/ and we'll set you up.
>>>/out/993583
>>
>>1162893
Mint, onions, pepper
>>
>>1162893
Potatoes will grow literally anywhere and in any kind of soil.
>>
>>1162893
Squash

They grow fast. and they'll rot before anything eats them.
>>
>>1162893
>>1162918

We need OP's location & temp range to figure that out. Do you have a garden, or an appartment balcony?

Tomatoes are easy, but I find they die off after fruiting. Just plant again.

My chilli plants in pots have been going for at least 3 years now.
>>
>>1163139
>>1162918
actually tomatoes and chillis are some of the harder to grow plants because there are many things you could do / could go wrong.
i'd say growing good tomatoes and chillis is as hard as growing good weed.

>>1162893
the easies things would be "wild" strawberries and mint. almost impossible to kill but they'll try to take over your whole garden if you don't separate them (e.g. put in pots)
you could also just buy some fruit tree (e.g. apples). they are mature when you get them and if don't fuck up all instructions completely there isn't much that could go wrong after you plant it.
>>
>>1163141
Not where I am...

I plant tomatoes in the spring, they get to a very good size and put out lots of fruit, but always end up with blight on the leaves. No problem, they've been harvested by then and I plant again in spring.

My chillis probably receive some of the least attention of any of the plants here.
>>
Mint and basil grow like weeds if you get decent sun and water them.
>>
>>1163170
well, you gotta pinch off the shoots, provide the right amount of nutrition, .. tomatoes easily catch some kinds of fungal infections if the leafs get wet, mosaic virus, etc and when one of them is infected and you don't immediately notice it, it spreads to all other plants and is not easy to get rid off.
and if you plant them in pots watering them or getting the right pot size isn't foolproof either

it's easy to grow them if you know what you are doing, but there are a lot of things that can easily go wrong and combined they'll easily kill the plant (e.g. malnutrition + some infection)
>>
>>1163348
You're making it sound a lot harder than it is.

You don't need to pinch the shoots. For any growth benefit it gives you, you'd be better buying and planting an extra plant or two. (And if you only have space for one plant... well, you can spend the time to min/max it then)

You don't need to worry about nutrition too much. Just a handful of potting mix/fertilizer from a bag (from a big box store or wherever)

Like I said, they get sick anyway so I just let them go and replant the next year. I still get a harvest.
>>
>>1163141
Have to disagree with this. Tomatoes can be touchy, chillies are easy is a widely held view among experienced gardeners.

Tomatoes > Weed > Chillies in order of difficulty.
>>
>>1162893
Gardening related question here.
My front lawn has been taken over by creeping charlies and i plan to basically tear up the lawn and replant grass.
At the moment i'm just using a pitchfork to pull the grass/weeds + topsoil up so i can more easily pull everything out.

I'm looking for any and all tips for my project. I don't like the idea of weed killer.
Any methods i could use?
>>
>>1162893
cucumbers are pretty simple.
>>
Any protips to get rid of creeping butter cup without wrecking my other plants? Shit is the bane of my existence at the moment.
>>
>>1163170
Tomatoes also get a disease from tobacco, so if you're one of the two people that still smoke, touching the plants will give them a case of the clap.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 941x948px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 941x948px
Pumpkins can also be easy, again, depending on your climate.

We fed our dog leftover skins and seeds, she shat them out and presto, we had 3 plants sprouting around the garden.
>>
>>1163651
your dog is currently a better farmer than me.

im a total noob. but i planted tomatoes yesterday in a deep long pot (sorry if thats bad english? pan or pot?) and wet the dirt all through so the roots don't get lazy. i read to do that 2 to 3 times a week. for the first few weeks.

recently is 28 to 30 degrees celcius. not humid. will it be enough water. here summer will be moist although.
>>
>>1163803
They should grow quick at those temps with enough water.

Careful about how much sun they get in the day... I think late afternoon shade is needed or they sort of burn. But I'm in australia where the sun is intense.
>>
>>1163474
never experienced this in 10+ years of doing both, so it's by no means a certainty.
>>
Canada bc bud

>Threw some seeds on the dirt
>Mother nature did her best
>Nearly a pound of fresh herb
>>
I think this is basil. Planted like two weeks ago. They're very thirsty. Soil drys out in 24 hours. Its ok to water them every 24 hours?
>>
And this is coriander, also two weeks.
>>
Whatever you grow, plant garlic and onions all around it to keep squirrels away
>>
>>1164146
100% basil
>>
>>1162893
potato: it's from america so it's 100% retard safe
>>
>>1162893
Tomato for sure. They are basically aggressive weeds. I have had cherry tomato plants reach 8ft tall and produce thousands of small tomato's. This is in Michigan and I didn't even start them until mid June, ended up growing into November. Also had some San Marino's that got so big they collapsed on themselves.
>>
>>1163960

Same here, tobacco virus is supposed to be a problem but I have never run into anyone that actually had encountered it in real life.
>>
>>1162893

Squash, until the squash bugs find them.
Cucumbers, peas (if you plant early), beans, and almost all herbs are easy.

The top mistakes that beginners make are planting in the wrong location (bad soil, not enough sun, etc.), over- or under-watering, and over-fertilizing.
>>
>>1164146

Is that a Solo cup? 'cause that ain't gunna be enough room for the plant.
>>
>>1162893
basil.
>>
>>1163651
Once when i was a kid i threw some pumpkin guts out near a bush around Halloween, a year or two later i found a two and a half foot wide pumpkin just hiding under that bush.
>>
>>1164867

I planted some garlic that had sprouted. Now I have a big garlic patch.
>>
I once grew some herbs. I took good care of them and watered them well. What amazed me is that the grew quicker after a rain. I figured out that tap water with chlorine is slowing their growth vs the rain water.
>>
>>1164942
Chlorine and fluoride are really bad for soil, especially if you grow in containers. Chlorine in particular is in the tap water to kill bacteria, which is absolutely horrible for soil health. Once you kill off the microbiology in the soil, the nutrents in the soil are no longer continously renewed. After that, this means you either fetalize regularly, or the plant will suffer from slow growth or just die. You can sometimes revitalize the soil with a bacteria tea, after flushing the soil though.
>>
>>1162893
see
>>>/out/993583
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.