[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Concrete Shower Base

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1455545101819.png (121KB, 264x396px) Image search: [Google]
1455545101819.png
121KB, 264x396px
I wanna skip the plastic and tile crap and just go with straight concrete. The slab foundation hasn't been poured yet, so would it be possible to just make a 2 inch lip part of the slab to make a shower with a drain in the middle?

I've tried to look for this online, but I can't seem to find anything. Are there any other applications that are even close to this?
>>
>>1162488
You'd have to seal the concrete, but it's doable.
>>
>>1162490
Cool, I was wonder how I'd form it. Could I just put plastic dowels from the base to support a wooden form?

Would chicken wire suffice for metal or would I even need that?
>>
>>1162505

Plastic dowels and chicken wire will work. You're likely to spend more between resources and labor doing it this way than buying a generic shower pan from Lowe's though.
>>
>>1162488
I lived in a house where the tiled the whole floor in the bathroom with one-inch tiles and had a drain in the shower. No lip, though. If was like the entire bathroom was a giant shower. It made moping and cleaning in there a breeze.
>>
>>1162517
This op. Just go whole hog. You do sealed concrete now and get it tiles later when you want to get fancy.
>>
>>1162517
It's known as a wet room.
>>
>>1162517
Why would anyone do that with 1 inch tiles. I can't image cleaning and resealing the grout on all that regularly. What a mess.
>>
>>1162488
>The slab foundation hasn't been poured yet, so would it be possible to just make a 2 inch lip part of the slab to make a shower with a drain in the middle?

Slabs aren't just 'poured' - they have to be 'finished' too.
Expect to pay more for the finishers to have to work around your little wall than it would cost to do it after the slab is done.
Concrete is porous and your wall will leak water into the adjacent areas.
Even if you seal it, it will eventually start leaking.
If you want tile in the shower you have to install a shower pan. If it's a standard size you can buy a one-piece pre-made one. If it's an odd size a membrane must be installed on the floor and up the walls a few inches that is under everything.
A shower drain has two openings.
The top opening you see and another series of 'weep holes' under the floor but above the membrane to allow the water that seeps through the tile and concrete to enter the sides of the drain.

How to build a shower is a well established procedure.
Don't try to re-invent how to do it.
Google for 'shower pan'
>>
>>1162517
>>1162530
>>1162567
Huh, now that I think about it, I may wanna lean this way.

>>1162593
I understand things are usually done in a certain way for a reason, but would something like this method work?

https://youtu.be/C2FK3EyRPPA?t=6m10s

To me, tiles and bases just seem like ornate stuff on top of concrete. Tiles need to be regrouted and bases need recaulking. They fail eventually too.

I would be willing to recoat the whole bathroom floor once a year.
>>
File: 1468078505902.jpg (62KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1468078505902.jpg
62KB, 625x625px
>>1162616
I was born in a small village.

These wet rooms are decent, and like you said easy to clean. Two things I'm not fond of: Wet rooms can be hella slippery, and unless there's a slope to the drain then water will sit everywhere.
>>
>>1162517

I see the aesthetic appeal, but a couple cm high stone sill under your shower door doesn't make cleaning any harder, but it does prevent water going under it.

Lack of practicality will annoy you for as long as you use it, aesthetics will become unnoticeable very soon.
>>
File: 1472971494130.jpg (631KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1472971494130.jpg
631KB, 1200x1600px
Ok, what type of sealer should I use then for my concrete floor: Acrylic, epoxy, or Urethane?
>>
>>1162573
>>1162631
1-inch tiles are used for grip. Many all tile showers have them.

>>1162644
Wet rooms have open showers. No door.
>>
>>1162593
unless you recoat it every 5 years or so. it doesn't seem worth the hassle.
>>
File: dx.jpg (16KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
dx.jpg
16KB, 182x268px
>>1162517
are you sure it wasn't a kill room?
>>
>>1162644
Or you could go 5 inches deep with a sleek cut and good draining mechanism and prevent it without the visual shit
>>
>>1162573
>cleaning and resealing the grout on all that regularly

Resealing? You use a concrete based grout, there is no resealing.

As for cleaning, throw some bleach on it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.