[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Me and a buddy building a garage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 54qlXQ.jpg (708KB, 1600x1044px) Image search: [Google]
54qlXQ.jpg
708KB, 1600x1044px
Hey /diy/, me and my buddy are planning on building a garage for work on cars/building shit. It's going to be out of an old barn we are doing some spring cleaning soon and stockpiling it with tools. What I want to know is the best way to prepare the inside and outside of the barn. (pics will be added later since I am not at the barn now will be later in the week) Also what are some tools and equipment that's necessary for any shop, and also specifically working with cars/metal/wood. pic is not actual barn but related, looks around this old if not older the house was built 100+ years ago and the barn is built with poles.
>>
>outside
Make sure the entryway is flush with no potholes or dips incase you want to bring a slammed car inside. Come to terms with the fact that some part of the outside yard will need to be trashed. You need a spot in the yard where you can spray brake part cleaner and it kills the grass and that's ok. Or you pour gas out to clean off a tool and it gets on the grass and kills it and that's ok because that's the spot you designated for that to happen. Lots of lights so you can see what you're doing.

>inside
Clean concrete floors. Nothing worse than driopping a bolt then you can't find it because there's a bunch of other crap on the floor and it blends in. Concrete, pressure washed, preferably stained or sealed. Lots of lights so you can see what you're doing. Basically, keep. it. clean. A dirty shop is fucking gross
>>
>>1162089
Yeah good ideas its on a huge lot like 50+ acres so spots for certain "unsafe" things are easy to find and we won't have neighbours bugging us or anything and the shed is pretty stealthy with huge lines of brush surrounding it and the house.

Also our budget is "meh" we just ordered a tool chest we have a nice jack we have some power tools, a compressor some, air tools, socket sets, wrenches ratchets, drill bits ( ordering new ones) and more stuff we have alot of lights too .

We are thinking of buying a drill press right now. Looking at government auction sites too.

Anything else to add? I will be updating frequently btw.
>>
Also we will be making a YouTube channel dedicated to all this crap.
>>
>>1162084
Cement slab done by a oro for safely lift cars and work on. A lift if u have 15k. If not SEVERAL jack stands. A good racing jack is handy. Get 2 so u can both lift front or back and use jack stands. NEVER get under a car with only a jack. JACK FUCKING STANDS. I have had a truck fall on me. Always chock wheels. *lifts ass end and it rolls away...

Mount dicktons of peg board. Build 2x4 and plywood workbenches

Get a parts washer.

Git gud anon
>>
I've been good, it sucks, But good idea my father is a civil engineer and has his own contracting business so building is in my blood, good ideas anything else?
>>
>>>/grosh/
>>
>>1162392
Get a lift. They cost like 2k. Good enough for hobby use.
>>
>>1162084
I would start with the best mechanics tool kit craftsman sells that you can afford. U save a ton of mobey doing this and if u need an obscure wench or socket dont jusy get it but buy a small set with it included. A good toolbox is a godsend but a clean bench and pegboard can suffice so long as u have socket rails and be a stickler of everything having its place. Shit fucking dissapears in a hirry if you dont put it all back. If u are missing a 10mm socket spend 20 minutes hinting over the car looking for it. If cannot find it go get a kit that includes one. I have always said that if i was handed 1 million dollars i woukd blow it on 10mm sockets and hide them all over my town. Everyone would laugh until they needed a 10 mm.
>>
>>1162450
If you wanna go more lube shop teir you can dig a pit thst you drive over for oil changes. They suck but its handy and real nice if you need to get mean. My buddy has a small oil business and mechanics on the side as he already has all the shit so why not. He has a chevy 3/4 ton on it with like 1 foot worth of spacers on the back. Just gotta be careful he says. Just.... no.
>>
>>1162450
Oh, also a small thing that nobody realises. You move 40 cars around and start feeling like leaving the door open and hanging your foot out. Sounds assanine but i have seen tons of people do this... u hit. Pole or bump and cut your leg off or break it. As someone with a metal platr in his foot be very careful.
>>
>>1162472
2k? For real???
Fuck.

Well, be sure and anchore that bitch down in thick concrete and dont buy used like dad did. Had to buy new cylinders
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (222KB, 3000x1980px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
222KB, 3000x1980px
>>1162472
>>1162478
>>1162480
>>1162483

Think of buying a lift soon. We have tools a decent amount will provide pics tommorow when I wake up because I am at my buddies house now guoing to be here for a couple days working oh the garage and stuff, yeah than 10mm struggle.

If we can lift the car we can do an oil change no problem, we also have ramps. I mean a pit would be legit as fuck though.

Safety is a #1 concern ;) * Backyard barn mechanics*

pic related, buddy had a friend buy a 240sc modded has an sr20DET swapped turboed lowered etc... it's mint. his friend bought it 2k and left it here right. we learned that since it's been a year he can claim it as his through some law (canada).

We also have a MK2 Golf and a toyota avalon. also 2 farm trucks.
>>
>>1162742
Get on it then. Pit is nice time saver. Throwing shit on the lift all day takes too long but for now i guess there u go. Or ramps.

Not sure about laws in canada but in US here you can get a dealers liscense pretty easiky and go to dealer ownly auctions. Pick shit up dirt fucking cheap to fix and flip
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.