[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RTL-SDR tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 30082013408.jpg (103KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
30082013408.jpg
103KB, 648x486px
/ham/ fags get in here, I need your expertise

I've started an astronomy project with few of mine collage friends a few months ago. The idea is to build a radio telescope for observing and counting meteors

The principle is
>We tune to a far radio source
>Meteor trail deflects the source
>we get reception
>meteor detected

We got some cheap RTL-SDR-s and OrangePi's of AliExpress and already have tested the basic principle. We tried a simple dipole as an antenna but were probably going to make a Yagi

The question is :
How can I program my OrangePi to receive and measure data from only one frequency from an SDR. I know what to do if I could get a stream of dB values (a simple Python/C code) but how can I get that sort of data ? I heard that LabView could be a good software for that but I have no idea how to use it.
Help please

Also, what antenna would be the best and how could we isolate the antenna from background noise. We've used a simple coax bazooka dipole, and although it does the job the noise is unbearable and we can only see bigger meteors

HLAP
>>
>>1161729
what part of /diy/ don't you understand
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Observing+meteors+radio
>>
>>1161734
You dense m8, this is not a that straight forward thing

We already can observe meteors, the telescope works, we want to automate it so that instead of one person sitting the entire night in front of a screen we have an orange pi do it for us

+I'm looking for tips on antennas, is Yagi worth it, is it too hard to build, are there any aternatives ...
>>
>>1161737
>failing to provide basic requirements
can't go wrong with a sufficiently large parabolic one
>>
>>1161729
Do yourself a favor and change the connector on that RTL-SDR to an SMA or F type connector it will help you wonders m8, also metor detection? huh never thought of that one... this might sound like an offense but go to reddit /r/rtlsdr and ask there ...this place is.... pretty much a meme now days ...cool concept tho.
>>
>>1161737
well if you had looked at the google I did for you, you would have seen that Yagi IS what you need and that a standard VHF TV or FM antenna would work just fine.

you don't need an orange pi, you can do it with something like goldwave configured to record whenever you get a signal above a level you set. you are making this more difficult than it needs to be.
>>
>>1161737
http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/nasameteorradar.html

here is how to use a yagi to do what you want. Keep it simple stupid.
>>
>>1161729
I had that antenna (came with the dongle) and it broke a few times expanding it.
>>
Holy shit. I've been coming to 4chan for years and never knew this kind of shit was on /diy/

Fellow ham here and I work in the LMR world for a Kenwood dealer. Lots of P25 and infrastructure stuff. Also design and build out 911 consoles and storm sirens. Also have a lot of SATCOM knowledge.

Not trying to hijack thread, but I think I found a new favorite board.

>>1161729

As far as the programming goes for your Orange Pi, I'm the wrong guy to ask.

As far as antennas go, if you're looking for a VHF Yagi that would suit your needs, the cheapest way to go would be to snag one off the roof of somebody's house. Since everything has gone digital, I bet you could find a house somewhere that would give you an old analog TV antenna for free if you take it down for them. Just scout out a house that has one that looks like it isn't hooked up and knock on the door. Tell them you're going to recycle it or re-purpose it for a science project or something. I bet you get one easy that way.
>>
>>1161928
I don't need it as a one night thing, I want to set the telescope on a remote location and leave it there 24/7. I want it to ultimately do the entire year of Meteor observation. We've already taped the thing and rewatch it again and it is just too slow for such a work

>>1161812
I have a 1.5 meter parabolic one, but I doubt that I could get the funds for a larger one. Maybe I could get lucky on a scrap yard

>>1162150
Yeah, I already have one home that I don't use, but the thing is
We're trying to observe some signal from a French GRAVES radar that has a frequency around 415Mhz(Not sure right now exactly) and as my understanding of /ham/ goes, the regular TV Yagi can't pick up signals in that range, apparently I need a custom Yagi
A friend advised me to build a simple 3 element yagi from some copper and would, should be cheap
>>
>>1161729
>Also, what antenna would be the best
Go for a dipole pointing straight up, as pointed out here >>1161929

A parabolic antenna is very directive meaning you will not be able to see most of the meteors. Still, that can be handy for specific scenarios such as statistics for prevalence depending on Earth's rotation and position such as early morning vs. late evening.

A RTL is cheap and cheerful but you might improve things a lot with a filter to remove unwanted noise that otherwise would swamp your ADC.
>>
>>1162366
>GRAVES radar
A quick search shows it has been on 143.050 MHz for a long time.

These guys http://britastro.org/radio/projects/DM-Meteor.temp/graves.html have done what you want to do with a very simple dipole.

Making your own tuned dipole is not hard, there are many packages on the net, like NEC, for designing antennas. GRAVES uses directive beams in which case the dipole should not point straight up but more along the path of the emitted beam or the volume illuminated by the emitter.
>>
>>1164055
I accidentally typed 415 instead of 145 ...
Thanks for the link, It's actually quite helpfull

>>1164040
We had the dipole but it picked up a lot of noise. Meteor showers come from the same point of the sky while the random ones come from all sort of places. I intended to use the dish for the showers and a yagi/dipole for the random ones.

How much could a entry level filter for my needs cost, it would improve things a lot if I could filter most of the background noise
>>
>>1161985
It's a picture from google images kek, I didn't have any pictures of my system so I jsut downloaded the generic ones

I actually cut off the antenna from the cable to solder the dipole to the cable since I didn't have a coax adapter. The antenna is crap, I just threw it away
>>
>Meteor showers come from the same point of the sky
>while the random ones come from all sort of places.

yes and no showers have an origin their tails point towards but they contact the atmosphere randomly across the "sky" before that point they are undetectable so where they are comming from is moot (hi moot!)
>>
File: Fig14_27.jpg (62KB, 450x341px) Image search: [Google]
Fig14_27.jpg
62KB, 450x341px
>>1164800
Still, most of the meteors will come from around the Radiant
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.