[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vibration dampening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 207-4547_PI_TPS1111115.jpg (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
207-4547_PI_TPS1111115.jpg
11KB, 400x400px
I've got a corner desk that's pretty nice, it's even got a little shelf on it for me to use as a footrest. The only problem is, that when I move around on it or shake my leg a bit, it shakes the rest of my desk, which rattles against the wall and jostles my monitor around.

What's the easiest, cheapest way to dampen this area? Right now, I'm thinking that I build a new shelf, a centimetre or so higher and with a bit of space around, and then I can just wobble that instead. Is there an easier solution I'm overlooking? I feel like even if I brace the shelf a bunch, it's still going to move a little, so it seems more sensible to just move the vibrations somewhere harmless.
>>
bolt it to the wall or shake your leg against a few car washing sponges
>>
>>1161252
You're not trying to dampen vibration, you're trying to increase the rigidity of your desk. Which depends on how it's assembled, held together and what material it's made of. Is the image you posted the exact desk? Draw us an image or take a photo.
Does it use screws? Tenons?
Ideally you would add some sort of cross brace.
>>
>>1161256
It's basically that desk, except it doesn't have the little set of shelves or chest of drawers.

Even if it was more rigid, I think it wouldn't really help the problem. Bolting it to the wall might work, but there's skirting boards in the way and it's a massive hassle to get behind it. The shelf is clearly bearing the load so the desk doesn't do the splits, otherwise I'd just cut it out and turn it into a free-standing shelf. It's secured by screws that go through the sides.
>>
its a flimsy piece of shit, you get what you pay for, unless you shop at ikea
>>
>>1161259
This anon is right >>1161256

You need to reinforce it. Get some metal corner elbows and screw them in.
>>
diagonal bracing
triangles are strong
piece of wood going from the top of the corner to the bottom of each side to suppress transverse movement
>>
File: bench.jpg (33KB, 624x515px) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
33KB, 624x515px
>>1161265
Even if I brace the shit out of it, I don't think that'll solve the issue. Nudging any part of the desk enough will still shake my monitor around, it's just a case of my weight vs the weight of the desk, and I win that battle. Bolting it to the wall is a better idea, but it's a hassle and I don't really want to put holes in the wall.

How does this look for a footstool? The brown is the existing shelf, the red is the new one, and the black is what I'm probably going to make it out of, aluminium square tube, because it's cheap. I can't weld, but I'm thinking L brackets with some nuts and bolts should hold it pretty steady.
>>
>>1161278

That would work. You can put some more rigid skirting around the back of it as well.

Ultimately, you're reinforcing particle board, so at a certain point, you'd just be better off getting a new desk.
>>
File: 14-0006011.jpg (114KB, 1166x656px) Image search: [Google]
14-0006011.jpg
114KB, 1166x656px
>>1161252
Why so fucking complicated? The easiest way would be to get a footrest that's completely seperate from the desk, like pic related. Or build one from some pieces of wood and bolt it to the wall.
>>
>>1161356
There's a radiator behind the shelf side, and I don't want to put one in front of it because that would be retarded and move me a mile away from my desk.
>>
File: reinforced footrest.jpg (19KB, 426x352px) Image search: [Google]
reinforced footrest.jpg
19KB, 426x352px
>>1161358
something like this then. reinforce it like i marked in red.
>>
>>1161278
why did you ask if you were just going to reject all suggestions anyway?
if you reinforce it properly it will work fine.

>can't weld
thats obvious, welding aluminium is poor and steel is cheaper anyway.

if you want a cheap footstool duct tape a cushion to an upturned storage box.
>>
you could just fix the desk to the wall with a couple of L brackets
>>
reinforce the fucking table you dick head what do you think you would be doing by bolting it to the fucking ground you fucking fuck
>>
buy a new desk or kys only two options i can see from your posts.
>>
ITT:

OP wants to solve problem, /diy/ makes suggestions, OP rejects everything and wants to use magic

how many fucking times we have to tell dumbasses go back to /x/ for magic spells, this is fucking /diy/
>>
>>1161358
>There's a radiator behind the shelf side, and I don't want to put one in front of it

wait, how the fuck can't you place a footrest under your desk, is your radiator merged into it or something?
you should've probably started the thread with a picture of your desk, because this is fucking confusing.
>>
>>1161682
I just wanted to see if there was an option I hadn't thought of, and building an independent frame is hardly fucking magic. Bracing it isn't going to solve the problem, it isn't heavy enough to resist me. Removing the shelf entirely and replacing it with a repositioned brace that serves the same function would probably be better, but if I'm going to be building something anyway I might as well go for the lower effort and lower option of just making a custom footrest above it, instead of building a better support and then either building or buying a new footrest.

>>1161686
It's more of a reclining shelf than a footrest I guess, like you'd use a ottoman in front of a couch. Putting a smaller one under it would just make my legs hit into the existing shelf.
>>
>>1161698
>an option I hadn't thought of
The cheapest easiest way to solve the problem is cut off your stupid fucking legs because they wont stop fucking twitching
>>
>>1161698
just take a fucking picture of the footrest area of your desk and post it here.
>>
>>1161698
>an option I hadn't thought of,
Find your zen so you stop fidgeting at your desk.
>>
>>1161252
>it's even got a little shelf on it for me to use as a footrest. The only problem is, that when I move around on it or shake my leg a bit, it shakes the rest of my desk, which rattles against the wall and jostles my monitor around.

If that's the case the shelf probably is designed as a foot rest and you should stop using it as such.
>>
>>1161705
*isn't
>>
>>1161702
My desk is effectively the same as the image, there's not much point.

>>1161705
It's a shelf, they expected people to put shit on it. It's way too comfy for me to ignore it.
>>
File: last resort before x.jpg (47KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
last resort before x.jpg
47KB, 400x400px
remove shelf and put a piece of wood between the parts like so
>>
Holy fuck nigger use rubber.
>>
>>1161252
You're one of those leg jigglers aren't you
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.