[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hard drive is kill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

So, my ex's kids somehow got to my hard drive out of my laptop and fucked up those brass pins.. a couple snapped off, and I am very pissed because my whole life was on that thing. Took it to a repair shop and the clueless old lady told me there's nothing that can be done to fix it... is this true? Please tell me there's something I can do. Thank you.
>>
Can you solder? Have some jumper wires?
>>
>>1161005
get something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272249922775?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

manually connect each jumper cable to the adapter.

problem solved
>>
>>1161004
It's usually possible to find the exact same make/model of the drive used, and swap out the circuit boards. That's typically the easiest course.
>>
>>1161004
if that was your whole life, why didn't you make backups?
>>
>>1161004
wtf kind of story is this?

what kind of kid digs out a drive out of a laptop and fucks up the pins?

if the pins are gone, carefully cut off the pins before they are soldered on to the board. desolder the remaining pieces. buy the same model drive (nothing fancy like same firmware), desolder the i/o connector, resolder to your board.

you may be able to avoid all this buy buying the same exact model, same firmware and just swapping it.
>>
File: 1461073626246.jpg (27KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1461073626246.jpg
27KB, 384x384px
>>1161004
>No backups
>dunno how to solder
>plz help I fuxored it up
lrn 2 solder and DIY or send it to me for data recovery, its about tree fiddy
>>
you dont even need to know how to solder
>>1161009 has literally the perfect solution
>>
>>1161048
>So, my dad had it after I threw an autistic fit and while I was taking an hour-long tendie-fueled shit he somehow got to my hard drive out of my laptop to take it away and when I ran out with my pants around my ankles REEEing the ensuing struggle fucked up those brass pins.. a couple snapped off, and I am very pissed because my whole life and sonic the hedgehog fanfiction collection was on that thing. Took it to my mom and the clueless old lady told me she'd replace it when I'd gotten a job and moved out, and my dad said there's nothing that can be done to fix it... is this true? Please tell me there's something I can do. Thank you.
>>
>>1161004
>My ex's kids
>Somehow fucking up the """brass""" connection pins on a hard drive currently installed in a laptop
>Not having backups of a hard drive with your "whole life on it"
>Calling the lady at the repair shop clueless even though you don't know what the fuck you're doing

I don't even know where to begin with this.

It's probably easier if you just kill yourself.
>>
Lol you went to a woman, no wonder she thought you cant fix it.

Use jumper wires as temporary wires and clone the HDD to a new drive.
>>
>>1161005
>>1161007
These guys are on the money.

The other alternative is to not have kids, but you screwed the pooch on that one.
>>
>>1161010
savage
>>
>>1161004
you can repair it yourself, but i would highly recommend sending it to a professional, considering this is something you don't want to fuck up.

look up date recovery services in our area, this should be easy for them since the actual internals and data is fine. probably cost around 2-300 usd
>>
>>1161009
This.
I work in IT, this is usually what we do.
>>
>>1161004

>Wife's son
>>
>>1161228
OP is too stupid to back up important files in multiple places.

Pay someone competent. Otherwise you'll just fuck shit up because your general knowledge and skill level is abysmal.

Not to mention having contact with ex's and their crotchfruit at all, ever.
>>
If they were snapped off and a bit of copper is still visible I would solder some pins back on. Or just dissect a sata cable and solder the wires to the broken pins and connect it to a pc.

If they were pulled out you can probably take the logic board off and solder the wires directly the board.
>>
>>1161009
This. Matching hardware/firmware revision is sometimes important.

Finding the right board is a pita.

I know they are expensive but hard drive recovery places are cheaper than they used to be and it's a simple obvious problem. I'd expect to pay like $250 for the repair including a new hdd to put everything on.
>>
>>1161010
His life is worthless
>>
>>1161004
dont be worry. first kill dat damm kids. then its just de conector all the HDs have the same or similar.
if you can just desolder by yourself and solder the good one
if you cant pay for that job. but dont go to a profecional. they have no time for this. find students that need money. solder a conector is easy. if you have important files dont give the whole HD hust the board.
>>
>>1161009
I have some older western digital external hdd's that i cracked open when coming home from deployment.

Needless to say they had another propietary board attached and that provided power, apparently the propietary board had some type of firmware/encryption because i have an external dock that i plug them into and they show that there is something on them, but i can't access the files or see them.

Does anyone know anything about getting the information back and cracking back in? I was thinking of finding another external of similiar model and using the extra board from it to plug into them, but it sounds risky and i doubt anything at the store nowadays will be the same from 6 years ago.
>>
>>1161149
Sounds much more probable.
>>
>>1162757
>>1161004
I used to work in a computer store. I was the go to guy for grey warranty fraud. if the computer was broken but the retards at the authorized repair store wouldnt repair it because it "turned on, nothing wrong with it, charged you 200$ to blast it with a can of duster", i'd just go and squeeze the hard drive lightly a few times while it was running to crash the head. ask me how to break stuff, it was my full time job.
>>
>>1162842
what an awful time to live in
>>
Repair or replace the board... the disk itself is fine. You can have your shit back you just need to work on the board.
>>
>>1161004
>literally my wifes son
>>
>>1161004
Any where near augusta georgia? A few screws and a couple hours of soldering work will get it functional enough to clone everything to a new drive. I have a rework station that needs to be used.
Dont try swapping the board. The board maps the bad sectors on the platters and a new board will still have its old platters mapped. No one sells virgin boards.
LAYMANS TERMS: The new board wont read your data correctly.

The only real option you have is to get someone with experience/tools to open it up and put temporary pins in to transfer your data to a new drive.
Almost no one on this board has a clean enough area to work on hard drive internals. Even something as insignificant as the humidity in your breath can fuck up your data when the platters are exposed.
>>
>>1162757
It's hardware-based encryption. You need the USB daughterboard to do anything with them, and it needs to match the original drive from the enclosure. Otherwise, there's no easy way to get the data off of the drives.
>>
>>1163029
This man speaks the truth. Low PPM clean rooms are required in this kind of work. I have a very valuable HD I have been waiting to try to swap but I am very nervous about the dust and dander in just the air.
>>
>>1161154
This. Fucking. This.
>>
It's a fucking SATA connector.
The rest of the PCBA is fine (from what it looks like).
Pull the connector off, replace it with one from another hard drive. It's probably a Foxconn connector, so you don't even have to match brands.
>>
>>1161154
>/diy/ which is among the least basement dwelling boards on 4chan
>people still tell OP to kill himself for no reason

I love this site
>>
>>1161004
the exact same thing happened to one of mine.
>>
I'd be unsurprised that even if you could replace the connector that the semiconductors on the PCB are already damaged from static electricity.

OP, take this as a lesson and next time back up your data. But I have a feeling you're up a polluted waterway without sufficient means of locomotion.
>>
>>1162842
I'm interested. If you're up for it, I'd love to hear how to gracefully destroy things.
>>
>>1161004
I'll meet you half way. You will have to do some soldering...get some pins or metal of the appropriate type, and solder them to the broken pins, then get something like this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/825/1528-1161-ND/5353621?WT.mc_id=IQ_7595_G_pla5353621&wt.srch=1&wt.medium=cpc&WT.srch=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2-bHBRDEh6qk5b6yqKIBEiQAFUz29gDib6XZmBwpYa90BQ2OC9CxZHh0glflYGokZbXQN4waAojM8P8HAQ
>>
>>1161004
There are professional data recovery firms. If the data is that valuable they can take the platters and move them to a new drive. Then retrieve your data. However they are expensive
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.