[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How necessary is RF shielding in a PC case?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: dreamcast.png (212KB, 650x419px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.png
212KB, 650x419px
I'm planning on building a SFF HTPC in pic related. The issue is the case is essentially a plastic shell; the original RF shield also doubled as a heat spreader for the motherboard which will be removed. I understand it's government regulation for commercially sold devices but how important, really, is it for electronics to be RF shielded during personal use? The best I can do is line the inside with aluminum foil but is it worth the effort? How remote are the risks?
>>
>>1160832
I think no one reuses the RF shielding when I see these type of projects and I know no one that does a Raspberry Pi version does.

There are computer cases that are made of plastic/plex that has no shielding at all.

If you do want shielding, dont use aluminum foil. It will be a hassle and can end up getting damaged and making a mess. The foil will fall onto the parts.

Years ago I put a PC in a Sun Sparcstation but I didn't reuse the shielding. Had no problems at all.
>>
>>1160832
Generally, most users don't need to worry about RF shielding for PCs. Like mentioned about, they sell plexiglass cases and open cases with no shielding.
>>
I have never seen a PC case thathas that sort of shielding.

Though a lot of cases use the case itself as an earth ground, and a lot of motherboards have contacts that go to the mounting screws for exactly that purpose.
>>
>>1160832
its all for gunment regulation so its unnecessary really with the exception being if its used as a heatsink but you could just as easily use a thermal sticky pad and aluminum heatsink to achieve the same end
>>
>>1161301
A lot of older computers did. SGI, Sun Microsystems, Apple, and Dell to name a few. They did this till the mid to late 90s
>>
File: Conductive_Shielding_Paint_sm.jpg (35KB, 440x374px) Image search: [Google]
Conductive_Shielding_Paint_sm.jpg
35KB, 440x374px
>>1160832
You'll be fine.

If you're like me and wear a belt with your suspenders you could try something like this. I moved away from copper tape and foil and use this exclusively. It works alright(for guitars), but what it's preventing is something that is rather uncommon. One nice thing, that you probably won't need to utilize with a pc build, is that you can use the painted surface for a ground. If you were putting together your own curcuit you could tie all ground pints to the paint.

Also, it comes out black, not copper color like it is in the picture.

I personally wouldn't bother though, worst you might encounter is hearing a buzz through the speakers before your phone goes off. I would also be playing 18 wheeler, mdk, shenmue 2(with xbox english audio) instead of destroying a dreamcast ;n;
>>
Op

Most old computers used RF shielding because chips were very fragile to esd and RF

Now most chips are did last self shielded so it is unnecessary

But FYI. A Dreamcast used only about 100w, and the case was designed for that. So you may need to cut some air vents
>>
>>1161984
Correction, just checked, it is only designed for 27W
>>
>destroying a Dreamcast
Holy fuck do this to a ps2 instead, why
>>
>>1160832
Please dont gut a working Dreamcast. Or if you are dead set on doing this sell the working components so someone can fix theirs.
>>
File: Dreamcast PC.jpg (245KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast PC.jpg
245KB, 640x480px
>>1161971
>>1162027
>>1162045
OP here. I want to get a Dreamcast that has a dead disk drive. The project is two fold: First part is to build an HTPC that can play blu-rays and do decent gaming out of that attractive case. Pic related is a project from years ago that gave me this idea. Second part is to use the working guts, attach it to an SD card reader that loads DreamShell and install it into a 21 or 32 inch LCD to make a semi portable Dreamcast All-in-One system.

On the PC front, I'm actually waiting for an AMD Ryzen-based APU to come out late this year, along with an AM4 mini-ITX motherboard. I also considering on a thin-ITX or mini-STX solution, but those are a long ways off right now.
>>
>>1162660
Pretty slick OP. Godspeed.
>>
>>1162660
Definitely wait for the ryzen APUs but watch out, AMD doesn't do as well in emulators as intel. Ofc as far as having a discrete GPU on-die vs. intel integrated, you probably have the right idea.
>>
>>1162660
Bonus points if you reuse the DC game controller, keyboard, and mouse for your HTPC.
>>
File: noctua_nh_l9i_2.jpg (45KB, 650x431px) Image search: [Google]
noctua_nh_l9i_2.jpg
45KB, 650x431px
>>1161971
Cool. Does that paint come in a spray can?

>>1162923
>Bonus points if you reuse the DC game controller, keyboard, and mouse for your HTPC.
Sure, but that sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of benefit. For peripherals, I plan to use on-board bluetooth for wireless keyboards, mice and a controller.

Which leaves a huge problem when using Mini STX boards; since none of them provide wifi-cards at this point. Which leaves me having to buy a wifi card with bluetooth support then having me to wire the antennas myself, which may or may not be more cumbersome than the wifi/bluetooth solutions that Mini ITX boards all seem to include.

>>1162858
>as far as having a discrete GPU on-die vs. intel integrated, you probably have the right idea.
Noted, though its the graphics performance I'm really looking for here. One issue I'm having is finding the right CPU cooler for the thing. Right now I'm considering either the Zalman CNPS2X or the Noctua NH L9i. It would be really nice right now to have a low profile CPU cooler that blew air out the side rather from the bottom, like the blower style fans of a laptop.
>>
>>1163238
The wifi/bluetooth does sound like a pain in the ass if you are not using usb dongles. I dont care for the combos but they will make your htpc project look clean.
>>
>>1163238
>what color would you like your fans, sir
>Idk senpai got anything between puke nad diarrhea?
>>
>>1162923
Bonus points for usb to maple converters. AFAIK, online the opposite exists.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.