[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Previous light switch was not dimming properly, would go from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: dimmer.jpg (209KB, 2362x2070px) Image search: [Google]
dimmer.jpg
209KB, 2362x2070px
Previous light switch was not dimming properly, would go from nothing to full-on 100% light. I replaced it a few month ago, and now this new one started doing exactly the same.

Before I start replacing light dimmers one after the other for the rest of time like some electric Sisyphus, could this be more than just a coincidence and something is causing them to break this way?

Also, could I fix the current dimmer somehow instead of replacing it again?
>>
>>1160755
what kind of bulb
>>
>>1160766
Regular 100W incandescent(?) bulb, the usual. Why?
>>
>>1160755
Need to make sure the tiny black switch on the dimmer is set to the correct kind of bulb, you can adjust the range of the dimmer with the instruction manual, and make sure you aren't incorrectly wiring a 3 way dimmer. Sometimes the traveler between two 3 ways can let out up to 30v or so with your other 3 way being off.
>>
>>1160773
1. The dimmer worked perfectly for months, it's only started acting out now.
2. What black switch? It was a very simple installation, I didn't see (or don't see at the moment) any switch. Should I open up the case anyway?
>>
>>1160775
whys, ah been installin dem dimmers these past 50 years, aint seen no goddamnt black switch either. Must be new-fangled LED voddoo.

(These..) dimmers, they do blow, a lot, esp. if cheap shit - what make/brand are you buying? Normally, nothing in particular against chinkcrap either, when it does the job - but dimmers lead a (relatively..) hard life, recommend a decent brand here, Busch-Jaeger, or Legrand, or whatever - no guarantee, but should cut down on the swapping some.
>>
>>1160792
OP Here. So you don't suspect recurring problem, only faulty cheap switch?
Can I just fix the switch somehow instead of replacing the whole thing?

Why are their lives so hard, tell me more :(
>>
File: 1491915730748.jpg (115KB, 544x960px) Image search: [Google]
1491915730748.jpg
115KB, 544x960px
Bumping.
>>
>>1160800
Leviton is the best brand, legrand up there as well. Try a normal slide dimmer instead of a rotary dimmer.
>>
UPDATE: The switch suddenly, out of the blue, started acting normally again. I was sitting in a well-lit room, when suddenly everything goes darker. I go to light switch and turn it up and down, works properly.

Was it scared of being replaced?
Was is the bulb acting up all this time?
>>
>>1161350
>Was it scared
we sent the boys round to 'have a word' Guv - scared? wos shittin itself. Still, be good as gold now, for another month or two, maybe. Maybe also thermal safety (stops it overheating, maybe) or similar cutting in/out, hence, intermittent works/dont work. As suggested tho, would still probably replace with a decent brand when possible, worst then usually an internal fuse replacement. Dimmers 'ave a hard life, as subject to constant heat, in an extremely confined space, and every-fucking-time cheap shit bulb blows on them, its equivalent of being short-circuited. On-off switch, easy mode, not even Chinese can fuck that up. Wall Mount Switch Replacement Dimmers, either pay the cash for a decent one (and preferably, good bulbs also, srsly), or, replace oft, or check your fire insurance - not even joking, really aint much Id put the foot down, but these? -dont buy cheap shit dimmers, aint worth it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.