[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rusting exhaust and rusty holes general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 4L_nF4HZdVa.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
4L_nF4HZdVa.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
What does /DIY/ do in these situations?

>rusting. Exhaust and all sorts of holes.
>loud as fuck

2 choices

>fix with tin cans and pipe clamps and JB weld for around $20

Or

>buy a whole new system and install myself for around $250

I k"ow it depends on the vehicle and whatnot, but any ideas?
>>
why not? nobody will see it, gunna buy you some time and you can save some money up in the meantime to cover the cost.
>>
Totally depends on the car.

Is it a 2017 M5? Get it fixed properly
Is it a shitbox with 200k miles on it that just has to last another year? Seal it up with muffler tape, reinforce mountings near tape, call it a day.
>>
>>1160426
or if it's the exhaust in OP pic, a 7 dollar muffler clamp at napa will seal that up no prob.
>>
>>1160417
Use "stove gasket cement" instead of JB Weld. The JB Weld won't last at those temps.
>>
>>1160429

Why not use both and paint with horse semen?
>>
>>1160417
what about welding?
>>
Why spend money if you don't have to? Unless the cops or your family are making fun of you, who gives a fuck what your pipes sound like. Maybe if they are loud enough, other drivers will put down their fucking phones and look at the road
>>
File: 1478990764163.jpg (87KB, 580x435px)
1478990764163.jpg
87KB, 580x435px
>>1160417
I know a local shop that will sling in a new exhaust for about $100. But you can't weld that shit, the pipe is already gone. Me, I'd go grab a few sections of exhaust pipe, mark them up, cut em, and weld a new pipe. Would love to have a pipe bender but I just don't do that much exhaust or rollcage work.
>>
>>1160467
>who gives a fuck what your pipes sound like
maybe should GAF exactly where your exhaust fumes are venting to tho, if only on grounds of self-preservation.
>>
>>1160466
Can't. Too thin. Will be unpleasantly hard.
>>
File: exhaust repair sleeve.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
exhaust repair sleeve.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>1160417
If you are going to frankenstein RedGreen that thing, at least use roof flashing, comes in a roll. Use sheet metal screws, then a roll of exhaust bandage or tape.

Or: pic related, you can also use it to connect the ends of new pipe to old pipe, where you saw out a bad section

There are also flex pipes that you cut out the bad parts and clamp the ends of the flex pipe onto the remaining pipe.
>>
File: 4QxbzZNLB.png (215KB, 921x463px)
4QxbzZNLB.png
215KB, 921x463px
>>1160417
>Exhaust
>JB weld

as if something actually good doesn't exist
>>
Put Fluid Film on whatever's rust prone on your vehicle in the future, it's made from sheep lanolin, holds up even in salty ass winter conditions.
>>
>>1160555
That's true. The only car I've owned that had an exhaust leak had a knock and 4 wheels bent beyond recognition. Considered demo derby but too much of a shitheap. Couldn't take it over 40, but all but 1 guy quit racing me when they saw me bouncing all over the road.
>>
>>1162076
New Zealand treat all their cars in that shit. I just roll stainless steel cars, everything made from stainless steel, everything.
>>
>>1160417
Flextape
>>
>>1160417
On the topic of rusting exhaust parts, how does that high temperature rustoleum paint hold up in salty conditions?
>>
>>1162636
Its pretty good but I just replace anything rusty with stainless steel, its usually something I bought from China claiming to be stainless steel bu actually isnt.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.