[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This tractor thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: tractor2.jpg (63KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
tractor2.jpg
63KB, 528x960px
Got this a year or two ago off the internet. A couple high school students at a technology center made it out of an old lawn mower. Problem is, it only has 2 forward gears, and reverse. Both of the forward gears are slow as hell. How might I go about making it go faster? I've heard some things about putting bigger gears on it, but I'd like the input of /diy/.
>>
File: tractor1.jpg (81KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
tractor1.jpg
81KB, 528x960px
Photo of other side
>>
>>1160060
get a picture of the actual drive system. can't see shit cap'n.
>>
File: tractorengine1.jpg (60KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
tractorengine1.jpg
60KB, 540x960px
>>1160062
>>
File: tractorengine2.jpg (51KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
tractorengine2.jpg
51KB, 540x960px
>>1160062
>>
>>1160077
you should just be able to change out that main sprocket for something a bit bigger.

have you already removed the governor from the engine? thats the cheapest/quickest way to get more speed.
>>
>>1160079
What is the governor
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>1160083
its typically a little plastic gear with a metal piece on it located in the crank case of the motor. those little engines are limited to 3500 rpm by the governor. if you take that off, you can go to higher rpm. higher rpm = higher top speed.
>>
>>1160087
Why is it there to begin with? Will it fuck with how it runs if I take it off?
>>
>>1160089
how it runs? not really. the main reason its there is for wear/durability. you will def decrease the lifespan of the motor and run the risk of flinging the magnet loose.

but from the looks of that thing i assumed you didn't care about longevity.
>>
>>1160090
For the most part it was like that when I got it. It was made out of old ass parts
>>
>>1160089
Its in there to stop pic related.

Those briggs engines only have an alloy con rod,
>>
>>1160092
damn, you really got to stomp on it to do that.
>>
>>1160093
These guys reckon they let go about 5k:

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/briggs-and-stratton/29445-awesome-guide-modding-briggs-5-hp-flatheads.html

If the engine is not holding full governed RPM just stick a larger engine on it. If it is sitting on full RPM all the time change the gear ratio.
>>
>>1160095
i was always more worried about grenading the flywheel. never had an issue with the internals.
>>
>>1160093
Or have a locked up snapper you ade prying on :(
>>
>>1160060
the problem is you don't have a tractor rapechain
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.