[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap ceiling soundproofing ideas for unfinished basement.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: exposed+joist.jpg (320KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
exposed+joist.jpg
320KB, 1600x1064px
So my new place is great, minus the whole unfinished basement and loud roommates directly under me in the basement. Roxul insulation seems legit, but I'm not investing that kind of money when I'm only renting. Need some ideas for soundproofing the unfinished basement ceiling below me on the cheap. Halp please!
>>
Shipping container, clearly.
>>
>>1159532
>Cheap ceiling soundproofing ideas
regular fiberglass isulation
>>
>>1159537
You know what works better?
Asbestos. People will literally give it away.
>>
>>1159532
Imitation crabmeat.
>>
>>1159532
upcycled pallets
>>
>>1159532
Ether.
>>
>>1159532
Rocksul is the best... but regular pink insulation will offer reduced noise. Probably R-34 is what you need
>>
>>1159532
If you're talking band in the basement then ideally you'd insulate, drywall, gap, then drywall again. Sound is going to dive through your vent.
>>
>>1159532
Kill noisy roommates. Bury bodies in back yard.
Do not install insulation in a rental. That might be a violation of your lease and could get you into trouble.
>>
pink insulation and suspended ceiling.
>>
>>1159532
Egg cartons. My Dad used to be in a heavy metal band, that's what he used. Go to restaurants and local farms if you have any. They normally just throw old empty one's away, and you can score a bunch.
>>
Move
>>
staple up a bunch of thrift shop blankets
>>
>>1159535
Obviously this. Usually takes a crane to get it out too
>>
File: 1487605406239.jpg (79KB, 748x563px) Image search: [Google]
1487605406239.jpg
79KB, 748x563px
>>1159552
>this
>>
>>1159556
Downcycled panties work pretty well too
>>
>>1160005
Or kill roommates and use the bodies as insulation. Works every time.
>>
>>1160220
That doesn't work. Your dad is full of shit or too deaf to think otherwise
>>
Just get a bunch of drywall and layer it up.
>>
>>1159532
I'm the opposite, basement dweller with roommates that have a yippity dog which travels through the ductwork.

So far i've priced out about 2500usd in materials for a 10x16 room reno.
>>
>1161218
Thats also ignoring local code, 7ft basements dont have the height to sacrifice for room in a room construction.
>>
>>1161218
Dogs traveling through ductwork, usually requires an exterminator.
>>
File: 20_30_40_30_veerregel.jpg (50KB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
20_30_40_30_veerregel.jpg
50KB, 800x448px
>>1159532
if you're planning to drywall the ceiling, detach it from the wooden frame with these 'metal studs'. Not sure what the English name is, but in Dutch we call it a 'veerregel'.

Don't use cardboard, newspapers, blankets or whatever because of fire safety. You might are able to do it with hay bale insulation. Make sure you use treated hay and not regular because of reasons I said above. Somewhere in the UK they've insulated houses with it and met the fire safety standard. Look into it
>>
File: PS_Veerregel_RB66.jpg (25KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
PS_Veerregel_RB66.jpg
25KB, 250x191px
>>1161709
>>
>>1159532

spray foam insulation.

they bring a truck with a pump, load up the foam into the sprayer hopper and drag a hose into your house. shouldn't take longer than 2 hours for a basement ceiling.
>>
Popcorn ceiling spray.
>>
>>1161810
get out
>>
>>1161709
>>1161710

Have heard it called "hat channel" here.
>>
>>1161829
>>1161709
there's resilient channel and hat channel
RC is screwed to the wall/joist
HC is set into a clip

>>1161684
the yips sound like squeaks you'd hear from wet shoes on a stores tile floor
>>
In addition to what's been said already I'd suggest a midspan beam to stiffen up the subfloor. Helps cut down vibrations and sound as well providing you insulate properly.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.