[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey DIY. I picked up around 20 barrels that used to have fuel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

Hey DIY. I picked up around 20 barrels that used to have fuel in them a month ago. When I picked them up I emptied them and left the caps off and left them in the carpark of my workshop.

My thinking was the residue would evaporate out and they would be safe to cut open with an air chisel but I've heard a few horror stories from my work mates and I'm a little worried. (One washed a barrel out with a high pressure sprayer and tried opening it with a grinder resulting in the lid exploding outwards.)

Surely with an air chisel there would be no chance of a stray spark blowing anything up right?

Thanks
>>
>>1159153
Completely safe, live stream it
>>
>>1159153
>air chisel
you got these?
https://spanwell.com/shop/non-spark-chisel/
>>
>>1159157
I knew non spark hand tools were sold but I had no idea they had air chisel attachments as well. I'll look around for one.

Thanks!
>>
>>1159153
What kind of fuel?
>>
>>1159166
Not really sure. The drums were from an air field so I'm guessing kerosene or two stroke fuel.

My basic game plan is to wash out the drums through the main cap a few times adding a shit load of dishwashing liquid each time. Then once it's all full of foam go at it with an air chisel while a friend trickles water where I'm cutting.

I'd like to take every possible precaution, Anything I'm missing?
>>
>>1159170
>kerosene or two stroke fuel.
Those two have very distinctive smells (just don't massively inhale from the barrels). Kerosene isn't too bad but two stoke fuel has a very distinctive and unpleasant smell from the lubricant additive.
>>
Can't you like just cut it while barrel is full of water ? Or heat up the barrel with lid open to blow up the leftover fuel?
>>
>>1159153
Run a hose from the tailpipe of a car into the barrel. Keep the engine running as you cut. No air, no bang.
>>
>>1159172
It's pink in colour if thats any indication at all. Would I be right in assuming the lubrication would change the colour? It smells like normal kerosene.
>>1159178
We're talking about 20-25 barrels (I forget). It would take 6 hours just to fill them and I'm not one to waste water for my silly en devours.
>>1159179
That's a good idea. Any idea on how long it would take to purge the barrel? 1-2 minutes should be plenty right?
>>
>>1159172
is aviation two stroke like garden two stroke fuel (regular gasoline + lube)?
>>
>>1159172
>>1159185
Actually I just realized it's most likely Avgas since it's from an airfield. All the markings or data sheets on the barrels are long gone.

"Avgas (aviation gasoline), also known as aviation spirit in the UK, is an aviation fuel used in spark-ignited internal-combustion engines to propel aircraft."
>>
>>1159183
A few minutes should do it. Engines shit alot of exhaust.
>>
pour water in them then empty them out into the nearest pond/river

Wala
>>
>>1159153
Kind of off topic but what's the cheapest way to get barrels like this in large quantities?
>>
>>1159325
steal them
>>
Fill one barrel at a time maybe.... derp.

Fill the next barrel with the previous?

Wait for to rain and fill from the downspout from your guttering?

OR what I do.

Pour a cup of petrol into one and light it up with a match then wait until it self extinguishes. It burns off any shit remaining.
>>
>>1159332
...with the cap off obviously and grinding it
>>
>>1159153
Hacksaw.
>>
>>1159325
Race tracks
Seriously, they leave behind an ungodly amount of barrels after a race and sometimes they are even full because they can't fit them in the trucks/containers to bring them home.

A lot of times the fuel supplier just picks them back up, but sometimes they are left there for whoever picks them up.

You can find anything from small 50L drums to larger 200L ones.

Otherwise, car workshops buy them for oil and tend to throw them away when finished so you can ask them too
>>
>>1159183
>would take 6 hours just to fill them and I'm not one to waste water
How long and how much water, time, detergent are you going to waste washing them out properly you spasticated oxygen waster?
>>
>>1159153
I cut open one of these that stored fuel too. With a grinder. Threw fucktons of sparks, had some residue in the bottom when the top came off. Im fine. Then again ive drilled a half in hole in a not so completely empty propane canister.... So I don't take warning labels very seriously.. Still got that propane canister too, stunk up the whole block with its shit.
>>
>>1159366
you are a stupid person
>>
pour 3qt of water into drum place drum on a propane burner stand(outdoor deep fryer) heat till water boils for 2 minutes or so quickly put the lid on and tighten then place the drum into a small kiddie pool filled with ice water enjoy
>>
>>1159179
This %100.
>>
>>1159389
There just somethings you do in life.. That you get away with. Doesn't make it smart or right. At least I can admit it. More then half the losers on this board.
>>
>>1159404
good way to implode a container, but with that amount of water it might not backfire
>>
Lay barrel on its side with the plug out of it and pointed down. Pour amall trail of gasoline like in the movies and light. If it explodes dont cut on another one.
>>
Fill with water or inert gas ya silly!
>>
>>1159170
Normally stroke fule goes in a box, sock, or at the minimum a tissue. I can't see anyone ever filling a barrel with stroke fuel.
>>
>>1159187
If it was Pink avgas, those barrels had Tetraethyllead (TEL) in them.
Don't use it for builds that will be indoors or around foods, TEL is pretty neuro-toxic, and is easily dispersed from vapors.
>>
File: aviation fuels.jpg (222KB, 1600x1128px) Image search: [Google]
aviation fuels.jpg
222KB, 1600x1128px
>>1159183
Could be avgas.
>>
>>1159474
>Hurr durr you're a loser for not risking your life doing retarded shit
>>
>>1159179
>No air, no bang.

My car has exhaust air injection.

Just make sure its a car that burns its fuel well not like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wnHeN0_3A

>Yes they were really that bad
>>
>>1159754
>will get three hundred hectares on a single tank of kerosene
>>
>>1159183
>Pink in color
Farm diesel maybe?
>>
>>1159325
Craigslist
>>
>>1159183
>and I'm not one to waste water for my silly en devours.

You just need a little bit more than the volume of one single container. It's the only guaranteed safe way to do this.
>>
>>1159153
there are tools called "sheet metal nibblers" that don't make sparks.
>>
>>1159747
You risk your life doing "dangerous shit" when you get in your car to go get chicken tendies.. Velocity + mass + your meat bag inside.
>>
>>1159713
kek
>>
>>1159153
You have a couple options.
1) fill it up most of the way with water, removing the gas and reducing the explosive mix.
2) drop dry-ice into it and let the CO2 push out the fuel vapor.
Frankly I'd go with 1.
>>
>>1159871
Yeah, that'd be my advice, too.
Buddy managed to blow out the windows of his machine shop when he cut a barrel open that used to contain paint thinner trying to make a fire pit for a retiring coworker.
>>
>>1159153
Yo, found this. It's a bunch of African dudes doing exactly what you want to do. Looks like you've just got to tough it out with a hammer or something. I guess if you're worried about that causing a spark, try a heavy wooden mallet.

Look up Deanfluence on Facebook. His name is displayed as just DEAN. The video is captioned recycling at its best.
>>
I always uncapped them, let them sit, and then cut the tops off with an oxy-propane torch.
>>
>>1159366
Calling bullshit on the tank not being empty. Even non flammable compressed gasses can blow a tank apart from something like that.
>>
>>1159153
Its not the fuel that burns its the fumes.
Run a hose from the tailpipe of a car into the barrel.
The exhaust fumes are inert
This is the method for cutting gas tanks
>>
>>1159153
just put it like 1/2 full of water and you'll be good
>>
>>1159153
get a hockey stick or somthing, pour some gaas on the end of it, light up the barrl form a kinda safe distance.. if it booms then it booms if it doesnt then ur gud
>>
>>1159754
That's what you got whey you put two-stroke engine in a car.
>>
>>1160016
Is that the video of the Africans wearing no shoes making those stoves from barrels? That video was awesome.
>>1159746
I could barely make out AVGAS 100 on one of the barrels. When we poured out the small amount of fuel in the barrels they were all a brown sludge probably from mixing with rust. Don't know how long they were in storage before I got them.
>>1159742
Wore a respirator rated for gasses and organics while chiseling the tops off just in case. Fucking Neurotoxin.. Wouldn't have guessed that.
>>1159713
Yeah, Thinking about it was is pretty silly.
>>
I just cut all the barrels with a hammer and chisel. The air chisel I got was a freebie that didn't work very well and most of the barrels were dry as a bone and had no smell after being out for a month.

Still took every precaution just in case anyway. Washed the barrels with dishwashing liquid and a brick paving attachment on a pressure washer then filled them about 1/3 of the way. Used a wooden mallet and a cold chisel.

Thanks for the advice/tips DIY.
>>
>>1159206
Do not do this, you will completely fuck the body of water, possibly get yourself a felony for stupidity.
>>
>>1160175
Sweet, dude. Glad it worked out for you. Got any pics of the aftermath you'd want to show us.

Yeah, it was the one where they make stoves from barrels. I managed to download it from Facebook by going onto the mobile version of the site on my computer, but the file is too large to upload here apparently. Oh, well.
>>
>>1159325

We had to get 50 once for a film.
The thing is the ones you get are always dirty from paint, gas or whatever. Getting them cleaned out is a big hassle or costs good money.

It's easy (free) to get them. To clean them or get rid of them is the hard part.
>>
>>1159837
>Hurr durr not taking a few seconds to do something the safe way is the same as driving
>>
>>1160216
Nothing too exciting really. Just wanted to get them open for future projects. Want to make at least one fire pit and maybe put some big ass caster wheels on one for a garden bin.

Maybe a grill or some kind of rotisserie too. Know any other cool things to make with them?
>>
>>1160738
store run off save yourself some $$
>>
>>1159153
If you know anyone licensed to work with explosives detcord will pop the lids quick enough that any fireball will just go up and out just beware of the falling lids I've seen it demonstrated years ago at Pelham range.
>>
>>1160844
Have you ever heard about this new thing they call punctuation?
>>
>>1159183
I used to fly planes for a bit. The pink is 100LL Aviation Gas or some variant
>>
Don't be a bitch, drop a match in each.
>>
Buy a drum deheader.

https://www.amazon.com/Wesco-272018-Deheader-Plastic-Steel/dp/B000Z5E6DC

Totally worth it, which is why they make them.
>>
>>1159170
If it was on an airfeild it was avgas (leded gas) or jetfuel. They both evaporate pretty quickley. It should be fine, but i would toss a match in it with the cap open. It wont explode but it will burn off any exess fuel
>>
>>1159153
I've just filled them with water and used a plasma cutter to open them up. Don't be afraid to waste a bit of water, you waste tons of it already.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.