[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LED Wiring Help Needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: DisplayCase.png (61KB, 1338x710px) Image search: [Google]
DisplayCase.png
61KB, 1338x710px
Building a display cabinet and need to figure out a way to wire 21 puck lights together so they all turn on at the same time as well as about 16.5 feet of LED stripping.

The puck lights are 2W each, and the LED strip is about 24W per 16.4 roll. So by my very shitty math skills, I'm going to need 42W for the LED Puck Lights & 24W for the LED strip, so 66W total.

What is the best way to wire this all together so I have a single cable to plug it all in? The problem is the lights weren't that cheap and have a connector at the end, that plug into a hub which can power 12 at a time with a 5A wall charger. I'd like them all to be set up on a dimmer, which I already have.
>>
You aren't going to be able to have just one wire. You will need 3 transformers it sounds like. You need to make sure that the leds are dimmable and the transformer you use will determine that.
>>
>>1158716
I was afraid of that. I figured I could do a set of 10 lights and one of 11 lights, then run the LEDs on another set... I could just join them all on a power strip and run that to the wall, I just wanted the least amount of cables and clutter as possible.
>>
Do these lights come with a built-in transformer in each puck or is it all 12V DC and a separate transformer and controller unit? 66W total isn't much; you can hook that up to a single suitable 12V DC transformer (go for a model that does at least 90W).

Whether or not you can dim them depends on the lights and the dimmer you have, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) you can dim any LED as long a you can supply a pulse-width modulated (PWM) power source. If your dimmer does that, then you can use that, provided the maximum power rating it has isn't exceeded (5.5A in your case).

If it is an AC dimmer, then your LEDs need extra electronics to handle dimming. LED bulbs or units that are powered by mains power sometimes have that.

Also, if you want to a minimal amount of wires for all those lights, you may need to use a larger gauge wire to accommodate voltage drop. Search for a voltage drop calculator website or use Ohm's law yourself.
>>
File: shittydiagram.png (9KB, 704x306px) Image search: [Google]
shittydiagram.png
9KB, 704x306px
>>1158746
Here are the lights I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Xking-Dimmable-Lights-Cabinet-Lighting/dp/B01HORY1VU/ref=pd_sbs_60_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HORY1VU&pd_rd_r=G7FS0FDKH4YM0244TCM1&pd_rd_w=fCV9i&pd_rd_wg=jAJr0&psc=1&refRID=G7FS0FDKH4YM0244TCM1

The connectors plug into a hub that can power 12 at once, but comes with a 5A AC adapter. The dimmer plugs into the DC side of the cable. I've tested 12 at once, with the dimming and they all work perfectly.

So unless I can find an AC adapter that can split a DC current to both of the 12 connector boxes, I don't think it is possible to use one plug for everything.
>>
>>1158771
Well if the LED are in parallel the voltage will be the same for both sides anyways.

Right now you have a 60 Watt power supply which I think isnt enough. That's your bigger problem.

If you want an easy solution plug wise I'd look on digikey for a Y cable assembly. Just make sure the plug pin contacts can handle the current load you've calculated for each separate system. Off the top of my head I think with your power consumptions I'd say 14-16 gauge wire is what you need
>>
>>1158784
Okay perfect. I found some Y Splitters on amazon for a few bucks, going to order them today and test them out. I'm going to go for a 3 way splitter so I can split the current to the two controllers and the LED strip. That should let me connect the dimmer to the end of the splitter and dim it all at once. I just need to find an AC adapter powerful enough to power all 21 puck lights and the LED strip from the wall.
>>
>>1158708

What LED strip, what puck lamp, what dimmer?
>>
>>1158814
I posted the lights and dimmer I purchased here: >>1158771
The LED strips I haven't bought yet, but they are just the standard 16.4' SMD 5050 LED strips.
>>
>>1158784

You know you can just twist cables together and put them into a screw terminal to make a splitter right?
>>
>>1158819
I could, but the kit already has handy connectors at the ends that I'd hate to strip and splice if I don't have to. If there is an easy way to just connect the two boxes and the LED strip with a 3 way splitter (for $5) then I'd rather do that instead of stripping them all and using a screw terminal.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.