[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

power tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: UT33650_banner2[1].jpg (355KB, 940x440px) Image search: [Google]
UT33650_banner2[1].jpg
355KB, 940x440px
I got this 24cc 2 stroke gas trimmer. it is a bitch to get started. once it is running, giving it throttle causes it to stall. you have to feather the throttle in part way to get the revs up. to get it to run as it should. I have to put it on half choke instead of run. even then it still might stall if I don't throttle it just so.
>>
clean the carb, put fresh fuel in it, and a new spark plug (do this annually) empty the fuel tank at the end of every work season ie winter or whenever it doesn't get use for a longer period of time ie a month
>>
>>1157809
check for a obstruction in the fuel lines
check for holes in the carb diaphragm
check for bad gaskets between the carb and the intake
adjust the idle screw until it stays alive
>>
File: 75715622.gif (949KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
75715622.gif
949KB, 301x300px
>Buy a Ridgid set years ago
>Batteries lasting me for fucking ever
>Fuck up and leap one of them out in the rain for literally like 15 minutes
>battery is kill

>Figure I'll just go find some cheap fuckers off Ebay
>Lel 140% for a pair of 2
>Have to repair a neighbors picket fence in the next two weeks. The batteries would literally cost me what it takes to fix the fence if not 120$ more then the fence repair.

>Mffw
>>
>>1158892
If you still have the battery just get a worn out one on ebay and switch out the board, the cells in the water damaged one should still be alright.
>>
And never use fuel containing ethanol.
>>
>>1158899

Are they really that fuckin' resilient?

I've got a battery tester, it keeps sounding like a switch is flipping when I plug it in, and it'll eventually illuminate the FAULT light.
>>
>>1157809
I have literally never used a string trimmer that wasn't like this, even down to feathering the throttle.
>>
>>1158986
>>1157809

>Come in here complaining about my fucking Ridgid
>Turns out I've the same "problem" as op and anon

Mines might actually be due to mechanical abuse tho, I left the fucking thing exposed to the elements over the winter and most of fall.
>>
>>1158995

I also don't think it's had a fresh tank of fuel in maybe a year or so. I use it so damn little.
>>
>>1157809
cleaned the carb.

it won't die now. still a bitch to start.

makes a weird sucking honking sound when in run and given throttle.

does it too in half choke if I don't feather the throttle.

open cell foam air filter is missing.

fuel has to be almost a year old. been sitting in that less than air tight plastic fuel can.
>>
>>1159021
>fuel a year old
It's trash.

Clean the carb again and put fresh gas in.
>>
>>1157809
>giving it throttle causes it to stall

Carburetor adjustment.

Look on the carb for two adjusting screws.
One marked L and one marked H
Start the engine and baby it until it warms up.
After warmup, with the choke off/open get it to take the throttle until it's running as high as possible.
Adjust the H screw clockwise and counter clockwise until it runs at it's highest speed.
Let it go back to idle and adjust the L screw CW or CCW while 'bumping' the throttle.
You should find a setting that allows instant throttle response.
Now go back to full throttle (or near it) and re-adjust the H screw.
Turn it CW until it just begins to falter.
Turn it CCW until it goes back through running good and then begins to falter again.
Set it to the midway position between too much in either direction.
Now turn it CCW 1/8 turn to ensure it doesn't run lean under load at high speed.
>>
>>1157813
I have never had to put a spark plug in anything in 40 years..Dont fuck with adjustments either leave the shit alone...more than likely the carb screws have either got loose or fell out. Make sure you're mixing the fuel correctly as well
>>
>>1159098
>I have never had to put a spark plug in anything in 40 years

I guess buying a new device solves everything in your case.

>>1159046
Can confirm. I have run that age fuel but it does not ignite as well once the shorter hydrocarbons evaporate.
>>
Electric tools are better and also the future.

But check the oil level, it might be too high, especially if the thing produces too much white exhaust. Inspecting/cleaning the carburetor is a good idea too.
>>
>>1159112
Not that guy, but I've been using Stihl chainsaw for like 20 years without changing the spark plug and it works like new
>>
>>1159115
>check the oil level,
>>1157809
>2 stroke gas trimmer

This is the biggest problem with /diy/
>has no idea what he's talking about - gives advice anyway
>>
File: Dunning-Kruger.jpg (17KB, 300x238px) Image search: [Google]
Dunning-Kruger.jpg
17KB, 300x238px
>>1159196
>This is the biggest problem with /diy/
>>
File: Screenshot_20170410-090339.png (545KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170410-090339.png
545KB, 1440x2560px
Just changed today.
>>
>>1159112
confirm old gas still 'works' but harder to ignite. had a 30 year old VW van sit for 4+ years. finally got it fixed, but the old gas was still in the tank. during warm weather the old gas worked fine, but when it got cold the van was a BITCH to start. after the old gas was all used up put in new gas and even in the super cold the van would start easily.
>>
>>1159115
this!
just bought an electric roto-tiller. works so well! I tilled up 3/4 of my back yard to re-plant the grass. the tiller's electric motor is only 8.5 amps but its plenty for tilling a garden. I mean unless you acres you need to till going electric will save you so much headache with gas mixtures and carbs and off season storage worries. I also only use electric weed wackers and chain saws. now with the chain saw yes the electric is slower and for a large/thick tree you will need the gas saw but for the majority of around the suburban house/yard a 14 or 16 inch electric chain saw it so much easier to deal with.
the one thing I stick with gas power is the snow thrower - tried an electric one and that was a disaster. but I won't buy/use and gas snow thrower that needs the gas-oil mixture. that = pain the ass.
as for the electrics I stick with the old school corded option. sure battery might be easier to roam around but you know that battery will die out in a few short years then where are you - you are trying to find a replacement for a model that the manufacturer likely no longer makes or you are cracking open the battery case and trying to replace the actual batteries inside. I know how and can do that but again, that is such a a pain in the ass. the extension cord never dies out.
>>
>>1159112
I am that guy and I have a Stihl weed eater Ive used on the farm for over 20 years and never replaced a spark plug. Unless the motor leans out and burns the electrode. Just clean them up and re-use. Quit buying junk like Homelites...Buy a Stihl use Stabl in the fuel when stored and they run forever
>>
>>1159524
>le stihl meme
I have a ryobi weed wacker that has been running for 11 years now.
The fucker even fell out of my truck and it just keeps going.
>>
File: 300.jpg (72KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
300.jpg
72KB, 500x738px
>Own a 4 stroke trimmer because multiple attachments (That suck)
>It has literally 3 steps to start it with a switch to get it set.
>Wants you to charge it with the fuel bubble 12 times.
>I aint a bitch.
>Set it to the third stage.
>Prime three times.
>Rip the cord like a boss.
>Nothing.
>Do this for two minutes until I force the damn thing to start.
>Throttle, and it stalls.
>Try the correct process.
>It won't start.
>>
>>1159690
is that a troy-bilt i smell?

also

fuck disintegrating primer bulbs
fuck disintegrating fuel lines
fuck disintegrating carb diaphragms
fuck clogged carbs
>>
>>1159736
>fuck disintegrating primer bulbs
>fuck disintegrating fuel lines
>fuck disintegrating carb diaphragms
>fuck clogged carbs

Stop using gasoline+ethanol mixture.
>>
Use premixed fuel. Most gasoline has ethanol in it and it sucks and your oil mixing skills may also suck.

Buy "mechanic in a bottle" and add it to the fuel, it fixes a lot of carb/fuel problems.

Or buy mechanic in a bottle premixed fuel and run that though.

If none of that works, do the basics like replace the spark plug, adjust the idle, clean or replace the carb...
>>
>>1159896
Spark plugs dont go bad...dry it out if you flooded the motor....Idiots buy new spark plugs
>>
>>1157809

Speaking of weedeaters: is it worth it to get a sling for one? My mom usually does the weedeating at our house since there's not a lot to do, but she is getting weak in the arm (and angry about it) and after using the weedeater for maybe 20 minutes her arm gets tired and she has to hand it over to me. This was about two years ago, and I do it all now but she has said she wanted to start again if she could.

I have been looking at slings and figured that may solve it if she's willing to do it. Anyone else use one?
>>
File: troll.jpg (33KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
troll.jpg
33KB, 625x626px
>>1159902
Yeah, ok. Though a lot of people actually change the plugs every few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtrDHOwSG8
>>
>>1159921
Good ideas. Get her something like a "Universal Weed Trimmer and Utility Sling" and get an electric one that's light. Gas motors are cheap but the vibration and weight are a problem for older people.
>>
>>1159896
>Use premixed fuel
Look at mr moneybags over here
>>
File: 743834.jpg (64KB, 620x622px) Image search: [Google]
743834.jpg
64KB, 620x622px
>>1159902
>Spark plugs dont go bad
>>
>>1159736
>is that a troy-bilt i smell?
Craftsman...
I miss my Husky.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.