[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diy Longboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 51lBnPTbJfL.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51lBnPTbJfL.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
Hey /diy/, So I want to make a Long board as im Merica' Fat and cant find a board in my local area that holds my wieght (Boards around here are rated 220 max while im around the 290+ mark, I know Merica' Fat). So i figured i'd make my own board as my girlfriend wants to get into long boarding around our lake front.
So ive done some reaserch and i've noticed that the boards that people build themselves tend to be solid board design or birch ply wood layered on itself. But none of the videos ive watched have been made by a fat ass like myself. So im inclined to belive im gonig to need a solid board construction and maybe i can go to birch poly construction later down the road. Im going to try and start this project this weekend and im curious on your guys' ideas or takes on the situation.
I want to take two different types of wood and make a design like pick related. Though im unsure what wood to use for the best strength. Im thinking oak for one even though it has such a wide grain structure, and the second one im at a loss. I plan on biscuting the boards together to get a stonger bond than just edge glueing them together, it prolly would just fall apart quickly if i didnt.

Ive been on the board a while i know the rules.
Supplies:-Table saw, bandsaw, jig saw(If needed but not preffered), palm sander, Small selection of hand chisels, Hand drill w. bits. And as well as a biscut Jointer i plan on picking up tomorow.

Cost; 100? not including the biscut jointer as i need one anyway. i think thats a fair price? So what do you gusy think. Any suggestions or ideas you fellows can help me out with?
>>
>>1157424
Before i write a lengthy reply. I'm not sure if this is another shit troll attempt. So take a picture of your hand. With a piece of paper next to it. That says "longboard 44788"

I'd confirm the trucks and wheels can also handle the weight. Do you have access to wood working tools, a bandsaw, and hand belt sander id say are needed for this kind of project. More after the anti troll proof.
>>
If the board is for your girlfriend why don't you just buy a normal one
>>
File: IMG_20170407_123330775.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170407_123330775.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>1157434
I'm real.
>>
>>1157424
>>1157470
Just sandwich a piece of steel C channel between the trucks and the deck.
>>
>>1157470
Im at work right now. Later tonight. (est)
>>
What about a steel H beam down the center, wood on either side and doweled through the beam, and the whole thing wrapped in a C channel? It would be great if you ever decide to grind on anything.
>>
>>1157424
Sandwich plywood with aluminum. You could also do plywood/fiberglass + epoxy/plywood. You could even create a mold so you give the board a concave/convex shape.
>>
>>1157436
It is not re read
>>
>>1157494
>>1157486
Oi Ike these
>>
I have a bamboo board, its thick and no doubt could support your weight. I recommend using bamboo
>>
>>1157512
I'm guessing it's laminated Bamboo?>>1157479
I'm off to work myself now.
>>
>>1157496
He didn't specifically say he wanted to go boarding. Just his girlfriend
>>
>>1157538
Why would he be listing his wieght and then say there are no boards around that support it. Cmon it's not hard to figure out
>>
>>1157486
>It would be great if you ever decide to grind on anything.

>grinding a longboard
good luck motherfucker
>>
File: 1491665972911.jpg (64KB, 720x588px) Image search: [Google]
1491665972911.jpg
64KB, 720x588px
>>1158018
Depends how much it sags under his weight...
>>
>>1157424
That's pretty heavy OP. assuming you get some sturdy material for the actual board part, the length of it may cause it to bend in the middle (dependent on the material) which will reduce your max acceleration anywhere but downhill.
>>
You're going to need some 1" ply and a steel support structure underneath fatty.
>>
Man. Honestly i would just get a good long board and run a couple or aluminum chanel or square tubing beside the trucks. It would drill out the board and bolt them on. Would hardly even be noticable. And eaither be careful on the back curved parts or get a saw or cutoff wheel and slice it halfe through a bunch and gently bend to contour in with the board. Then go get the cuts welded. Leave the board woth the tig welder guy for bend adjustments as heat will fuck with it. Maybe weld both ends with a cross piece and a couple under. Yiu could add 5 pounds of aluminum if u do it right Nd carry my 260 pounds on your shoulders. Bonus you can run chanels in the wires and have led fog light headlight hid.
>>
>>1157424
Ahhhhh fuck anon we are all stupid faggots. Get the smallest drill bit u have and poke through the top of the decking or whatever the top is. In the center of the holes for the trucks. Rough up the bottom and lay a few layers of fiberglass on that bitch. Just paint the bottom, poke your little holes through it to mark for right sized holes and bolt the tracks back on. Like $50 or less.
>>
>>1158362
longboarder here, this is probably the most simple and effective solution. plus you won't have any trouble getting deck screws with the extra length (if you don't already have them).
>>
>>1157424
bump
>>
A few months ago a guy here made a board out of weed stems, you should find him and become his pupil
>>
>>1157424

If you want to make the longboard, just follow the instructions for a laminated one, and if it can't stand your weight add more layers. The laminations add a ton of strength over a solid board, and gives you the option of making as thick a plank as you want.

Also, add curves and ribs if possible for stiffness. I don't know how knowledgeable about it you are, but take a piece of pink insulation foam, carve and sand into the shape of the board, and vacuum bag against that when laminating to create your form.

Then throw it away because long boards are for faggots, and you'll be too embarased to ride it anyways
>>
>>1158550
I figured. At about 250lb i blew up my motor in my car. Necer thought to find a fucking bike and the ghetto i lived in would have just taken it.

Was 4 miles feom school and 5 from my shitty walmart job where i could throw most survival shit in a backpack. My romate taught me to skate and i rode daily for over a year. Never had trouble. 290# though is pushing it probably. I learned to fly of curbs into the street and my board flexed. Stsrted poping so i gave it back to my buddy i bought it from.

Your best bet is just buy carbon fiber but $$$$$. Fiberglass is master race diy tho. Many of the oerks of carbon and cheaper.

You could even glass with kevlar or carbon fiber.

Clear resin and fiber would look sick af anyway and not be much more than glass. I woyld chose this way if it was me.
>>
File: Long.jpg (1MB, 2000x2666px) Image search: [Google]
Long.jpg
1MB, 2000x2666px
Dad has a buddy who made thick boards out of solid wood.
They weigh about 20 lbs, but can carry a fat fuck.
Pic related, this is mine, have had it for nearly 18 years, and abused to shit, not a crack in it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.